MV Calc Book for E&M: Best Options for Rigor & Theory

• Thread starter conquerer7
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Book E&m
In summary, the recommendation is to use the book "Vector Calculus" by Marsden and Tromba for studying Maxwell's equations and other vector field operations. It is not as rigorous as Spivak, but still covers most theorems. It also includes interesting theoretical problems and has a good introduction to linear algebra. Another recommendation for a quick and simple introduction to linear algebra is the book "Linear Algebra" by Lang. However, for more advanced concepts, a more substantial book may be necessary.
conquerer7
I want a MV Calc book that has a good covering of vector field operations, mostly for studying Maxwell's equations and stuff later on. Rigor would be nice; I would prefer a book that proves most theorems, but not one as crazy as Spivak (I have only a few months!). Interesting theoretical problems and good intro to linear algebra would be a plus.

Any recommendations?

Physics news on Phys.org
conquerer7 said:
I want a MV Calc book that has a good covering of vector field operations, mostly for studying Maxwell's equations and stuff later on. Rigor would be nice; I would prefer a book that proves most theorems, but not one as crazy as Spivak (I have only a few months!). Interesting theoretical problems and good intro to linear algebra would be a plus.

Any recommendations?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0393925161/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Informal text on vector calc from the context of e&m, not that proofy though.

Last edited by a moderator:
In addition to the book named above, I recommend Marsden and Tromba:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/0716749920/?tag=pfamazon01-20
The first review is probably the most sensible. I don't think it covers much linear algebra however (going by my memory, I may be wrong), so you'll have to get that elsewhere.

For a quick and simple intro to linear algebra you can try Lang's book:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/3540780602/?tag=pfamazon01-20
but I must warn you it is not very advanced or abstract, so if you are a maths student will sooner or later need a more substantial book, but it is more than enough for Marsden and Tromba.

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to MV Calc Book for E&M: Best Options for Rigor & Theory

1. What is the purpose of the MV Calc Book for E&M?

The MV Calc Book for E&M is designed to provide a comprehensive guide for students and researchers in the field of Electromagnetism. It offers a rigorous treatment of theory and includes a variety of advanced topics to help readers deepen their understanding of the subject.

2. Who is the target audience for this book?

This book is primarily aimed at undergraduate and graduate students, as well as researchers and professionals in the fields of Physics and Engineering. It assumes a solid foundation in mathematics and a basic understanding of Electromagnetism.

3. What sets this book apart from other textbooks on E&M?

This book offers a unique combination of rigor and theory, making it a valuable resource for those seeking a deeper understanding of Electromagnetism. It also includes a variety of real-world applications and advanced topics, making it suitable for both academic and practical purposes.

4. Are there any prerequisites for reading this book?

A basic understanding of Calculus, Linear Algebra, and Differential Equations is recommended. Some prior knowledge of Electromagnetism, such as the concepts of electric and magnetic fields, is also helpful.

5. Can this book be used as a standalone resource for learning E&M?

While this book provides a comprehensive treatment of the subject, it is always beneficial to supplement your learning with additional resources such as lectures, practice problems, and hands-on experiments. This book can serve as a valuable reference and study guide, but we recommend using it in conjunction with other learning materials.