Mutual inductance / equivalent inductor

In summary, the conversation discusses how to replace two inductors with a single equivalent inductor. The formula for calculating the equivalent inductor is given, but the individual values for L1 and L2 are not known. The conversation suggests using an AC test voltage to determine the current and then comparing it to the expression for current with a single equivalent inductor.
Numbskull

Homework Statement

q4_tma_diagram.jpg

Homework Equations

See if you can show that L##_1## and L##_2## as in (a) can be replaced by the equivalent inductor L##_{eq}## as in (b):

$$L_{eq} = \frac {L_1 L_2 - M^2 } {L_1 + L_2 - 2M }
$$

The Attempt at a Solution

Um, I don't really know where to start because I don't really understand what the question is asking. Am I supposed to provide some 'proof' in algebraic form? Thus I don't know the form that the answer should take, as in what equals what.

A gentle nudge would get me moving :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Just like reducing a resistor network to a single equivalent resistance, they want you to reduce the inductor network to a single equivalent inductor. The tricky bit is handling the mutual inductance. How you go about it is up to you, but consider driving the circuit with ac test voltage V and finding the resulting current it supplies. Then compare to the expression for the current if the load was just a single inductor Leq.

gneill said:
Just like reducing a resistor network to a single equivalent resistance, they want you to reduce the inductor network to a single equivalent inductor. The tricky bit is handling the mutual inductance. How you go about it is up to you, but consider driving the circuit with ac test voltage V and finding the resulting current it supplies. Then compare to the expression for the current if the load was just a single inductor Leq.
Thank you. I shall post my attempt for scrutiny!

Related to Mutual inductance / equivalent inductor

1. What is mutual inductance?

Mutual inductance is a measure of the ability of one circuit to induce an electromotive force (EMF) in another circuit. It occurs when two circuits are close to each other and the changing magnetic field of one circuit induces a current in the other circuit.

2. How is mutual inductance calculated?

Mutual inductance is calculated using the formula M = k√(L1L2), where M is the mutual inductance, k is the coupling coefficient, and L1 and L2 are the self-inductances of the two circuits. The unit of mutual inductance is Henry (H).

3. What is an equivalent inductor?

An equivalent inductor is a single inductor that has the same inductance value as a combination of multiple inductors in a circuit. It simplifies the circuit and makes it easier to analyze and calculate.

4. How is the equivalent inductor calculated for series and parallel combinations?

For series combinations, the equivalent inductor is equal to the sum of the individual inductances. For parallel combinations, the equivalent inductor is calculated using the formula 1/Leq = 1/L1 + 1/L2 + 1/L3 + ..., where Leq is the equivalent inductor and L1, L2, L3, etc. are the individual inductances.

5. What is the importance of mutual inductance and equivalent inductors in circuit analysis?

Mutual inductance and equivalent inductors are important in circuit analysis because they help us understand the behavior of complex circuits and simplify their analysis. They also play a crucial role in the design and optimization of electronic devices and systems.