Must a Hot Jupiter be relatively young?

In summary, the exoplanet researcher wonders whether a gas giant orbiting at such a close distance ought to experience significant friction as it passes through its primary's coronal envelope. Although conventional wisdom suggests that this might not be the case, the exoplanet researcher wonders whether there is a mechanism preventing planets from moving closer in.
jscroft
Must a "Hot Jupiter" be relatively young?

A large proportion of exoplanets so far discovered are "hot Jupiters," large gas giants orbiting very close (< 0.1 AU) to their primaries.

It seems to me that a gas giant orbiting at such a close distance ought to experience significant friction as it passes through its primary's coronal envelope. I also imagine that any orbital eccentricity on the part of the planet or wobble on the part of the primary would generate significant tidal pumping within the body of the planet, damping these motions by converting their energy to heat, which would cause the planet's gas envelope to expand and add to its drag coefficient.

Finally, I suppose that the plasma composition of the coronal medium—being electrically active—would also facilitate energy transport, although I'm not sure in which direction.

The upshot is that I wonder whether such a planet could orbit its primary for very long before orbital decay removed it from observation? And, if not, what might that say about (a) the mechanism of hot Jupiter genesis—formation? ejection? capture?—and (b) the likelihood of same.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
jscroft said:
I wonder whether such a planet could orbit its primary for very long before orbital decay removed it from observation?
This is an open question in exoplanet research. Conventional wisdom quickly suggests (as you describe) that there are numerous things dissipating the orbital energy of the planet---tending to both tear apart the planet, and have it inspiral into its host. Observationally there seems to be a cutoff at about 0.05 AU, within which there aren't any planets.
The question is whether this is perfectly consistent with in-spiral (i.e. closer in planets merge with the star so quickly they are rarely seen), or whether there is a mechanism preventing planets from moving closer in. Most of the evidence seems to go along with the former, but the latter still has a good backing.

Some papers that might be intersting:
http://arxiv.org/abs/1009.1352v1"
http://adsabs.harvard.edu/abs/2009ApJ...698.1357J"

Last edited by a moderator:

Thanks for the references.

I note that neither addresses the question of the electrically active coronal medium. If both the primary and the exoplanet have significant magnetic fields—as do our own Sun and gas giants—then it seems that the interaction of these fields within and across the coronal medium would create effects of a magnitude that might actually dwarf those generated by gravitational interaction.

I realize that I'm evoking Velikovsky here, but whatever you think of his ideas of the origin of Venus etc., the hot-Jupiter scenario DOES seem to lend itself particularly well to analysis from the electrodynamic perspective.

Are you aware of any exoplanet-related work along these lines?

Related to Must a Hot Jupiter be relatively young?

1. What is a "Hot Jupiter"?

A "Hot Jupiter" is a type of exoplanet, or planet outside of our solar system, that is similar in size to Jupiter but has a much higher surface temperature due to its close proximity to its host star.

2. Why do we believe that Hot Jupiters must be relatively young?

Hot Jupiters are found in close proximity to their host stars, which means they must have formed relatively quickly. This suggests that they are relatively young, as they would not have had enough time to migrate to their current positions if they were older.

3. How do scientists determine the age of a Hot Jupiter?

Scientists can determine the age of a Hot Jupiter by studying the properties of its host star, such as its temperature, mass, and composition. They can also look at the planet's orbit and its distance from the star to estimate its age.

4. Are there any exceptions to the belief that Hot Jupiters must be relatively young?

While most Hot Jupiters are believed to be relatively young, there have been a few exceptions where older Hot Jupiters have been discovered. These exceptions suggest that there may be other factors at play in the formation and migration of Hot Jupiters.

5. What can the study of Hot Jupiters tell us about the formation of our own solar system?

Studying Hot Jupiters can provide valuable insights into the formation of our own solar system. By understanding the formation and migration processes of these planets, scientists can gain a better understanding of how our own solar system and its planets formed billions of years ago.