Musical notation and timing help

• Music
  • Thread starter DaveC426913
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Notation
In summary: 4/4.Thanks for the suggestion. I'll definitely give that a try.Basically you just note it at the start of the measure as 7/4 and then note it again if it changes back to, say,... 4/4.
DaveC426913
Gold Member
I'm trying to vindicate myself in a music discussion.

In watching Jesus Christ Superstar the other day, I concluded that some of the music is played in 4/7 timing. That is, some of the music actually has 7 seven beats to the bar. (It is definitely not 7 beats plus a rest, so just don't even think about suggesting it).

There, are several, but one example is the movement called 'The Temple'. you can find it here, listed as piece 2-5. You can also see that the artist has corrobrated my claim by documenting his chords in the notation as having 7 beats.

What I want is something that demonstrates the timing notation clearly, anything I can present to my detractors. Yes, I can go buy the sheet music, either dead-tree format or online, but either way, it would cost (and it's only a gentleman's bet).

I'm hoping someone here can help me more expediently.

Science news on Phys.org
I believe you want 7/4 seven beats with the quarter note getting the beat.

http://monroelab2.physics.lsa.umich.edu/phys288/Lecture%2024/

Last edited by a moderator:
Its distracting to count out loud, but if you learn to conduct, you can do it - http://cnx.rice.edu/content/m12404/latest/

7/4 is conducted as a measure of 4 followed by a measure of 3. You'll be able to hear the downbeats at the start of each (full) measure coinciding with your conducting.

Right on the money Russ. Take it from a life long band geek.

russ_watters said:
Its distracting to count out loud, but if you learn to conduct, you can do it - http://cnx.rice.edu/content/m12404/latest/

7/4 is conducted as a measure of 4 followed by a measure of 3. You'll be able to hear the downbeats at the start of each (full) measure coinciding with your conducting.

I can most definitely count out the seven beats to the tune of the song, though it takes a bit of practice.

My question is, how is this notated? My detractors insist that there is no such thing as a bar with seven notes. That you would merely use a four-note bar, or eight note bar, letting the extra note fall into the next bar, kleaving rhythm and bars out of sync.

Ba said:
I believe you want 7/4 seven beats with the quarter note getting the beat.

http://monroelab2.physics.lsa.umich.edu/phys288/Lecture%2024/

Thanks. But I don't see what that link does for me.

Oh. OH! There it is at the bottom! It actually says 7/4 time! And 'Money', a much better known song!

That sets me on the right path, but I'm still not sure that list in and of itself will convince my detractors. I guess I"ll need to find some actual sheet music.

DaveC426913 said:
My question is, how is this notated? My detractors insist that there is no such thing as a bar with seven notes. That you would merely use a four-note bar, or eight note bar, letting the extra note fall into the next bar, kleaving rhythm and bars out of sync.

Not at all. I think what he's referring to is probably a type of polyrythm, but that's not relevant to this situation. It would deffinately be written as an ordinary bar with seven beats and time signature 7/4.

An example of music written in 7/4:
http://www.marchingpercussion.com/music/free/sevenfour.gif

If you'd like to find some music with odd time signatures, look into Tool, particularly tracks from "Lateralus"
Many orchestral pieces often change time signatures frequently also, and though they may be predominantly 4/4, 6/8 etc. several will have the odd passage or few bars with an odd time signature in

Last edited:
FredGarvin said:
Right on the money Russ. Take it from a life long band geek.
How do you think I came up with that? :wink:

Rush also does some odd time signatures - I think some in 7.

DaveC426913 said:
I can most definitely count out the seven beats to the tune of the song, though it takes a bit of practice.

There are plenty more out there that are even more confusing. For example, in Benjamin Britten's "Young Persons Guid to the Orchestra" He has half of the orchestra playing in essentially 4/4 while the other half is playing in 3/4 until it all comes back together again. Try tapping your foot to that part!

That reminds me of a drum soloing tip I was once given-
I was told to try playing a relatively simple 16 beat pattern with the right hand, and a 15 beat pattern with the left over and over, giving the impression of something more complicated than it really is (though still terribly hard to play)

russ_watters said:
Rush also does some odd time signatures - I think some in 7.
Yes. "Tom Sawyer" gets some of its odd sound that made it so unique when it first hit, from using strange time signatures.

Basically you just note it at the start of the measure as 7/4 and then note it again if it changes back to, say, 4/4.

The way I've most commonly seen 7/4 is a measure of seven with a dotted line seperating it into four and three, the piece that comes to my mind is the Finale of Stravinsky's Firebird.

Related to Musical notation and timing help

1. What is musical notation?

Musical notation is a system of symbols and markings used to represent musical sounds and rhythms. It allows musicians to communicate and reproduce music accurately.

2. How does musical notation help with timing?

Musical notation includes specific symbols and markings such as note values, time signatures, and tempo indications that help musicians keep track of the rhythm and timing of a piece of music. These elements guide the performer in playing the music at the correct speed and with the correct duration of notes.

3. Why is understanding musical notation important for musicians?

Understanding musical notation is essential for musicians because it allows them to read and interpret written music, which is a vital skill for performing and collaborating with other musicians. It also enables them to accurately recreate the intended sound and expression of a piece of music.

4. Can musical notation be translated to different instruments?

Yes, musical notation is a universal language that can be translated to various instruments. While different instruments have their unique ways of producing sound, they all use the same symbols and notations to represent musical elements such as pitch, rhythm, and dynamics.

5. How can musical notation and timing help improve musicianship?

Musical notation and timing help improve musicianship by providing a standardized system for learning, practicing, and performing music. It allows musicians to accurately communicate and interpret musical ideas, leading to a more polished and cohesive performance. Additionally, understanding musical notation and timing can help musicians develop a more precise sense of rhythm and timing, which is crucial for playing with others and creating a cohesive musical experience.