Multivariable Taylor polynomials?

In summary, textbooks typically do not present polynomials in infinite series form, unlike single variable Taylor Polynomials. This is because there may be more convergence issues in the multivariable case. There are also two versions of Taylor's theorem, one with f(x+h) and the other with f(x). However, they are essentially the same thing, with x being a variable vector and a being a constant vector. It is possible to find multivariable Taylor polynomials expressed as infinite series without any new concepts added.
pivoxa15
In textbooks these polynomials are not normally presented as an infinite series (the single variables are). What is the reason for this and are they equally allowed to be in infinite series form hence infinite order just like the single variable Taylor Polynomials? Or are there more issues about convergence to worry about in the multivarible case so they are not usually written in the infinite form?

Also I've seen two versions of Taylor's theorem. One has
f(x+h) in http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multi-index under Taylor series: for an analytic function

and the other f(x) in http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taylor's_Theorem under Taylor's theorem for several variables. This is the one I was referring to in the above question.

How are the two reunited? I think f(x+h) is more complete because it allows f(x) plus added terms to account for the function at a position x+h.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I think I have sorted out my second question about two versions of the Taylor polynomial. They are really the same thing. In f(x+h), the x is a constant vector. So it might be better written as f(a+h), where a is a constant vector and h=x-a. x being the variable vector. My first question still stands.

I remember having seen, in a web page, multivariable taylor polinomials expressed as infinite series without any new concept added (regarding one variable t.p.). If I find the page I will post the link.

Related to Multivariable Taylor polynomials?

1. What are Multivariable Taylor polynomials?

Multivariable Taylor polynomials are mathematical expressions used to approximate a multivariable function at a specific point. They are composed of a series of terms that involve the function's derivatives evaluated at that point.

2. How do you find the coefficients of a Multivariable Taylor polynomial?

The coefficients of a Multivariable Taylor polynomial can be found using the formula cij = 1/(i!j!) * ∂i+jf/∂xi∂yj(a,b), where i and j represent the orders of the derivatives and a and b represent the coordinates of the point of approximation.

3. What is the purpose of using Multivariable Taylor polynomials?

The purpose of using Multivariable Taylor polynomials is to approximate a multivariable function at a specific point. This can be useful in various fields of science and engineering where accurate approximations of complex functions are needed.

4. How accurate are Multivariable Taylor polynomials?

The accuracy of Multivariable Taylor polynomials depends on the number of terms included in the polynomial. The more terms included, the more accurate the approximation will be. However, as the number of terms increases, the complexity of the polynomial also increases.

5. Can Multivariable Taylor polynomials be used for functions with more than two variables?

Yes, Multivariable Taylor polynomials can be used for functions with any number of variables. The formula for finding the coefficients will just involve more partial derivatives with respect to each variable at the point of approximation.