Multivariable limit problem with cos/cos

In summary, the function (cos(x-y))/(cos(x+y)) is continuous at the point (pi,0) and its limit is 1. This is because the function is continuous and the denominator is not 0.
RJLiberator
Gold Member

Homework Statement

Lim (x,y) --> (pi, 0) of (cos(x-y))/(cos(x+y))

Homework Equations

The answer is 1

The Attempt at a Solution

My answer is this: The function is continuous at the point in question, so we only need to plug in the values which result to be 1.

My question here: I know this function is discontinuous when cos = pi/2 or 3pi/2. As the denominator would be 0. But because my point of interest IS continuous, this allows me to proceed in the manner that I did. Correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
RJLiberator said:

Homework Statement

Lim (x,y) --> (pi, 0) of (cos(x-y))/(cos(x+y))

Homework Equations

The answer is 1

The Attempt at a Solution

My answer is this: The function is continuous at the point in question, so we only need to plug in the values which result to be 1.

My question here: I know this function is discontinuous when cos = pi/2 or 3pi/2. As the denominator would be 0. But because my point of interest IS continuous, this allows me to proceed in the manner that I did. Correct?

Correct. f/g is continuous if f and g are continuous and g is not 0.

Likes RJLiberator
Excellent. Thank you for the definition.

RJLiberator said:
Excellent. Thank you for the definition.

It's not a definition, it's a theorem. But you are welcome.

Likes RJLiberator

Related to Multivariable limit problem with cos/cos

1. What is a multivariable limit problem?

A multivariable limit problem is a type of mathematical problem that involves finding the limit of a function with multiple variables as those variables approach a specific value. This type of problem is often encountered in calculus and is used to analyze the behavior of functions in multiple dimensions.

2. How do I solve a multivariable limit problem?

To solve a multivariable limit problem, you can use various methods such as substitution, algebraic manipulation, and L'Hopital's rule. The specific method used will depend on the complexity of the problem and the techniques you have learned in your mathematical studies.

3. What is the role of cos/cos in a multivariable limit problem?

Cos/cos, or cosine over cosine, is a common type of function that may appear in a multivariable limit problem. It is a trigonometric function that represents the ratio of the adjacent side to the hypotenuse in a right triangle. In a multivariable limit problem, it may be used to represent a relationship between two variables in the limit expression.

4. What are some common challenges when solving a multivariable limit problem with cos/cos?

Some common challenges when solving a multivariable limit problem with cos/cos include dealing with complex algebraic expressions, determining the appropriate approach to use, and understanding the behavior of the function in multiple dimensions. It is important to carefully analyze the problem and apply appropriate mathematical techniques to arrive at the correct solution.

5. How can I practice and improve my skills in solving multivariable limit problems with cos/cos?

The best way to improve your skills in solving multivariable limit problems with cos/cos is through practice. You can find practice problems in textbooks, online resources, or by creating your own problems. Additionally, seeking help from a teacher or tutor can also be beneficial in understanding the concepts and techniques involved in solving these types of problems.