Multivariable Calculus Project: Spacetime/Black Holes

In summary: Action, Lagrangian, Hamiltonian, and the electromagnetic field.Consider a rotating black hole in three-dimensional spacetime. Derive the equations of motion, and study the evolution of the particles near the black hole.
pmrotman
I am a student currently taking both Multivariable Calculus and Differential Equations. Instead of a final exam my teacher assigned a final project for Multivariable, and I chose to do something with Spacetime/Black holes. Within the scope of <100 hours of work, is there anything I can do with my current knowledge? At the moment I feel a bit overwhelmed with trying to learn Tensor calc.

Physics news on Phys.org
How much special relativity do you know? There's no shortage of interesting spacetime problems ieven in the flat spacetime of SR, before you get take on the much more demanding curved spacetime of general relativity and black holes.

How much classical mechanics and E&M do you know? Have you been through a calculus-based course on classical mechanics? You'll get better and more targeted answers if you can tell us more.

Likes pmrotman
You could try reading "Exploring black holes" by Taylor. It might not be hopelessly advanced, I think it has some workbooks/projects. I don't own it, unfortunately, though sample chapters are availble at the aurhtor's (E.F. Taylor) website.

Likes pmrotman
pervect said:
You could try reading "Exploring black holes" by Taylor. It might not be hopelessly advanced, I think it has some workbooks/projects. I don't own it, unfortunately, though sample chapters are availble at the aurhtor's (E.F. Taylor) website.
Thanks I'll check it out.

Nugatory said:
How much special relativity do you know? There's no shortage of interesting spacetime problems ieven in the flat spacetime of SR, before you get take on the much more demanding curved spacetime of general relativity and black holes.

How much classical mechanics and E&M do you know? Have you been through a calculus-based course on classical mechanics? You'll get better and more targeted answers if you can tell us more.

I have a very limited understanding of E&M, but some understanding of Classical Mechanics. I do understand special relativity and some of general relativity, and I'm fairly good at teaching myself new things within a reasonable scope (e.g. simple calc-based mechanics). The project doesn't need to be particularly advanced as it will be presented to other students of my caliber, but this is my area of interest and I would enjoy doing a lot of work for it. Any other questions?

pmrotman said:
I have a very limited understanding of E&M, but some understanding of Classical Mechanics. I do understand special relativity and some of general relativity, and I'm fairly good at teaching myself new things within a reasonable scope (e.g. simple calc-based mechanics). The project doesn't need to be particularly advanced as it will be presented to other students of my caliber, but this is my area of interest and I would enjoy doing a lot of work for it. Any other questions?
You said "Spacetime/Black holes" and there's a lot of spacetime that isn't black holes. Many introductory presentations of special relativity assume constant relative velocities (and instantaneous accelerations if changes of direction are required, as in the twin paradox) because that simplifying assumption reduces the amount of calculus that is required. Thus, if you are feeling a bit overwhelmed by tensor methods but still want a chance to experiment with multi-variable calculus and differential equations, you might look for special relativity problems that naturally involve accelerations: Born rigid motion, Bell's spaceship paradox, Rindler coordinates, the relativistic rocket equation come to mind.

Black holes are somewhat irresistibly fascinating, but it will be hard to do them justice unless you're going to take on the mathematical preliminaries. But if you're feeling overwhelmed by tensor methods... Have you seen https://preposterousuniverse.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/08/grtinypdf.pdf ? Its section on tensors is no substitute for a serious differential geometry course, but it is very approachable and will give you enough background to get through a lot of neat stuff.

Likes pmrotman
Project ideas in special relativity:

Show how the electromagnetic field and the Maxwell Equations (a set of multivariable partial differential equations) transform under a Lorentz transformation. Start with fields, then later start with the potentials.

Study the relativistic particle... Action, Lagrangian, Hamiltonian... Then, the charged relativistic particle...

Likes vanhees71, Nugatory and pmrotman

Related to Multivariable Calculus Project: Spacetime/Black Holes

1. What is Multivariable Calculus?

Multivariable Calculus is a branch of mathematics that deals with functions of more than one variable. It involves studying the behavior of functions in multiple dimensions and is used in various fields such as physics, engineering, and economics.

2. How does Multivariable Calculus relate to Spacetime and Black Holes?

Multivariable Calculus is crucial in understanding Spacetime and Black Holes as it involves working with functions that represent the curvature of space and time. It helps in analyzing the behavior of objects in a multidimensional space, which is essential in understanding the effects of gravity in Spacetime and the formation of Black Holes.

3. What are the applications of Multivariable Calculus in studying Spacetime and Black Holes?

Multivariable Calculus is used to solve equations and make predictions about the behavior of objects in Spacetime and Black Holes. It is also used to calculate the curvature of space and time, which is crucial in understanding the effects of gravity and the formation of Black Holes.

4. How is Multivariable Calculus used in modeling Black Holes?

Multivariable Calculus is used to model Black Holes by applying the principles of general relativity to calculate the curvature of space and time around the singularity of a Black Hole. It also helps in predicting the behavior of matter and light near a Black Hole's event horizon.

5. What are some real-life examples of Multivariable Calculus in relation to Spacetime and Black Holes?

Multivariable Calculus is used in various real-life applications, such as predicting the motion of planets and satellites in Spacetime, understanding the formation of galaxies and stars, and studying the behavior of matter and radiation near Black Holes. It is also used in the development of technologies such as GPS, which relies on the principles of general relativity to function accurately.