Multiplying wavefunction with complexnumber.

In summary: X## is a complex vector in the space of complex numbers.In summary, the wavefunction multiplied by any complex number will result in another wavefunction that has the same physical meaning.
olgerm
Gold Member
Is it true that by multiplying wavefunction with arbitrary complexnumber, which module is 1, results another wavefunction, that has same physical meaning? aka ##\forall_\phi(\Psi\ has\ the\ same\ meaning\ as\ \Psi \cdot e^{i \cdot \phi})##
If not please give me an example of wavefunction and ##\phi## where it does not.

Physics news on Phys.org
##\Psi## and ##e^{i\phi}\Psi## represent the same state since ##|\Psi|^2## is the central quantity that characterizes the state.

Metmann said:
##\Psi## and ##e^{i\phi}\Psi## represent the same state since ##|\Psi|^2## is the central quantity that characterizes the state.
Yes, but does ##e^{i\phi}\Psi## satisfy Schrödinger equation with same potentialenergy function ##U(t;\vec X)## as ##\Psi##?

olgerm said:
Yes, but does ##e^{i\phi}\Psi## satisfy Schrödinger equation with same potentialenergy function ##U(t;\vec X)## as ##\Psi##?

Sure. The Schrödinger equation is ##\mathbb{C}##-linear on both sides, hence the phase drops out. In fact all quantum mechanics is ##\mathbb{C}##-linear, hence the physical space of states is the projective Hilbert space.

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes vanhees71 and olgerm
Yea - all true.

Why - because states are not really members of a Hilbert space - they are really positive operators of unit trace. Such operators of the form |u><u| are called pure and can be mapped to the underlying space the operator is defined on by simply using the u - but note if you multiply |u> by a complex number of unit length to get |u'> |u><u| = |u'><u'| - that's why it is invariant to phase. In general any positive operator of unit trace can be put in the form (not necessarily uniquely BTW which has implications for the decoherence program in explaining the measurement problem I will not go into here - start another thread if interested) as U=∑pi |ui><ui| where pi are positive and sum to 1. These are called mixed states. The Born Rule then becomes the expected value of an observable O, E(O), is E(O) = trace (OU) where U is the systems state and show the pi in fact are the probability of Iui><ui| in the mixture.

In fact due to a very famous theorem by the mathematician Gleason it can be deduced from more fundamental assumptions - see post 137:
https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/the-born-rule-in-many-worlds.763139/page-7

Thanks
Bill

Last edited:
Likes vanhees71
olgerm said:
Why don't you try it yourself? Write down the Schrödinger equation for ##\Psi##, make the substitution ##\Psi \rightarrow ^{i\phi}\Psi##, and see if anything changes.

Likes vanhees71, Metmann and Vanadium 50
Metmann said:
Sure. The Schrödinger equation is ##\mathbb{C}##-linear on both sides, hence the phase drops out. In fact all quantum mechanics is ##\mathbb{C}##-linear, hence the physical space of states is the projective Hilbert space.

Yes. I think there have been some efforts in the 90s to find deviations where you have a term in the Schrödinger equation that acts on the wave function squared, but they were essentially abandoned because people could not really agree on what would happen then and how it could be seen experimentally. The linearity is really extremely fundamental to our understanding of QM.

Likes Metmann
By degrees of freedom, any wavefunction should be unambiguously descriptive by one real-valued function , that has 4 arguments.
##f(t,\vec X)##

Related to Multiplying wavefunction with complexnumber.

1. What is the purpose of multiplying a wavefunction with a complex number?

Multiplying a wavefunction with a complex number allows for the inclusion of both real and imaginary components in the wavefunction, which is necessary for accurately describing certain physical phenomena.

2. How do you multiply a wavefunction with a complex number?

To multiply a wavefunction with a complex number, you simply multiply each term in the wavefunction by the complex number. For example, if the wavefunction is written as ψ(x), multiplying it by the complex number i would result in iψ(x).

3. What is the significance of the complex number in the multiplication process?

The complex number represents the phase and amplitude of the wavefunction. Multiplying the wavefunction by a complex number changes these properties, which can have important implications for the behavior of the wavefunction.

4. Can multiplying a wavefunction with a complex number change its shape?

Yes, multiplying a wavefunction with a complex number can change its shape. This is because the complex number can alter the amplitude and phase of the wavefunction, which can result in a different overall shape.

5. Are there any limitations to multiplying a wavefunction with a complex number?

Yes, there are limitations to multiplying a wavefunction with a complex number. The wavefunction and complex number must be defined over the same domain, and the multiplication process must adhere to the rules of complex arithmetic.