Multiplying Radicals: Solving Pre-Algebra Homework

• Thread starter Illuvitar
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Radicals
In summary, the student needed clarification on a pre-algebra problem involving multiplying radicals. They attempted to solve it using the FOIL method and the distribution property, but had trouble understanding why the order of adding like terms mattered and why their answer (93 + 73√30) was marked as incorrect when the correct answer was 73√30 + 93. After discussing with their instructor, they realized that their answer was correct and there may have been an error in grading.
Illuvitar

Homework Statement

Hey guys/gals I have need a clarification on one particular pre-algebra problem dealing with multiplying radicals. I thought I knew the steps to solve it (properties of radicals and distribution property, etc) but I am having trouble with this particular problem.

(8√6 +√5)(√6+9√5)

The Attempt at a Solution

Okay so I used used FOIL as if I was multiplying two binomials together so

(8√6 *√6) + (8√6 * 9√5) and (√5 *√6) + (√5 *9√5)

1) 8√6 *√6= 48 because (√n*√n= n)
2) I proceeded to use the Distribution property so 8√6 * 9√5= 72√30
3) Repeating step two with inner term: √5*√6=√30
4) Lastly inner term x outer term:√5 *√5 = √25

Okay so after using the Distribution property the new equation looks like this:
48+72√30+√30+9 √25

5) now I take take the square root of √25 which is 5 and multiply it by 9:
...9√25 becomes 45

now the equation reads:
48+72√30+√30+45

6) Now I add like terms and this is the point where I am missing a step or have messed up in some way in the above steps. After combining like terms I get:

93+73√30

the correct answer is 73√30+93

I thought addition was commutative so I didn't think that the order mattered but why when I combine 48 & 45 the sum ends up on the end of the equation and why does the order matter if addition is commutative? I got this question wrong because of the order but I've looked at this problem for a while now and I don't understand why the correct answer is in the order it is in and why it matters.

Also I'm sorry this was a long post and elementary problem but I just don't understand any clues to lead me in the right direction would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance for reading this or replying to it. And I hope this is in the right format, apologies if it isnt.

Physics news on Phys.org
Illuvitar said:

Homework Statement

Hey guys/gals I have need a clarification on one particular pre-algebra problem dealing with multiplying radicals. I thought I knew the steps to solve it (properties of radicals and distribution property, etc) but I am having trouble with this particular problem.

(8√6 +√5)(√6+9√5)

The Attempt at a Solution

Okay so I used used FOIL as if I was multiplying two binomials together so

(8√6 *√6) + (8√6 * 9√5) and (√5 *√6) + (√5 *9√5)

1) 8√6 *√6= 48 because (√n*√n= n)
2) I proceeded to use the Distribution property so 8√6 * 9√5= 72√30
3) Repeating step two with inner term: √5*√6=√30
4) Lastly inner term x outer term:√5 *√5 = √25

Okay so after using the Distribution property the new equation looks like this:
48+72√30+√30+9 √25

5) now I take take the square root of √25 which is 5 and multiply it by 9:
...9√25 becomes 45

now the equation reads:
48+72√30+√30+45

6) Now I add like terms and this is the point where I am missing a step or have messed up in some way in the above steps. After combining like terms I get:

93+73√30

the correct answer is 73√30+93

I thought addition was commutative so I didn't think that the order mattered but why when I combine 48 & 45 the sum ends up on the end of the equation and why does the order matter if addition is commutative? I got this question wrong because of the order but I've looked at this problem for a while now and I don't understand why the correct answer is in the order it is in and why it matters.

Also I'm sorry this was a long post and elementary problem but I just don't understand any clues to lead me in the right direction would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance for reading this or replying to it. And I hope this is in the right format, apologies if it isnt.

Your answer is OK: 93 + 73√30 = 73√30 + 93. Why would you think otherwise?

Well because it was graded as wrong and I didn't get partial credit either. I thought I followed the correct procedure but I just don't understand what exactly I did wrong.

Illuvitar said:
Well because it was graded as wrong and I didn't get partial credit either. I thought I followed the correct procedure but I just don't understand what exactly I did wrong.

Was this graded by a computer, or by a real person?

If the "correct" answer was 73√30+93 and you wrote 93 + 73√30 and this was marked wrong, go see your instructor. As already mentioned, the two expressions represent exactly the same number.

Ray Vickson said:
Was this graded by a computer, or by a real person?

By my instructor.

Mark44 said:
If the "correct" answer was 73√30+93 and you wrote 93 + 73√30 and this was marked wrong, go see your instructor. As already mentioned, the two expressions represent exactly the same number.

Okay. I'm sorry for the redundant thread, I just thought there was something I missed. I thought they were the same answer but was open to the idea that there was just something I didn't understand. Ill talk to my instructor. Thanks guys.

Related to Multiplying Radicals: Solving Pre-Algebra Homework

What are radicals?

Radicals are mathematical expressions that contain a root, such as square root or cube root, along with a number or variable inside the root symbol.

How do you multiply radicals?

To multiply radicals, you must first simplify any radicals that can be simplified. Then, you can multiply the numbers or variables outside the radicals, and multiply the numbers or variables inside the radicals. Finally, combine any like terms and simplify the result.

Can you multiply radicals with different indices?

Yes, you can multiply radicals with different indices. To do so, you must first rewrite the radicals with the same index. Then, you can follow the same steps as multiplying radicals with the same index.

What is the product rule for multiplying radicals?

The product rule for multiplying radicals states that the product of two radicals with the same index can be simplified by multiplying the numbers or variables outside the radicals, and multiplying the numbers or variables inside the radicals. The resulting expression is then simplified by combining like terms.

What are some common mistakes to avoid when multiplying radicals?

One common mistake to avoid when multiplying radicals is forgetting to simplify any radicals that can be simplified before multiplying. Another mistake is not following the product rule correctly, such as multiplying the numbers inside the radicals instead of the numbers outside the radicals.