Multiplying primitive roots of unity.

In summary: So you can't say ##\Bbb{Q}(\zeta_{15}^5) = \Bbb{Q}(\zeta_{15})##.In summary, the product of the 3rd and 5th primitive roots of unity can be written in the form ##ζ_n^k## for some n and k, where [n,k] denotes the least common multiple of n and k. However, it is important to specify which root is being used as there can be multiple primitive roots for the same value. It is also true that ##\Bbb{Q}(\zeta_{15}^8) = \Bbb{Q}(\zeta_{15})## since both
Artusartos

Homework Statement

Let ##ζ_3## and ##ζ_5## denote the 3rd and 5th primitive roots of unity respectively. I was wondering if I could write the product of these in the form ##ζ_n^k## for some n and k.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

We know that ##ζ_3## is a root of ##x^3=1##, and ##ζ_5## is a root of ##x^5=1##, so ##ζ_3ζ_5## must be a root of ##x^{15}=1##, right?...so ##ζ_3ζ_5 = ζ_{15}##. And in general ##ζ_nζ_k = ζ_{[n,k]}##, where [n,k] denotes the lcm of n and k. Is that right?

Also is it true that ##ζ_{15}^8 = ζ_{15}##? If so, then why/how?

Thank you in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
You got to be careful to specify which root you work with. It is certainly true that ##\zeta_{15}^8## is a primitive 15th root of unity, but it might not be the same one!

For example, in ##\mathbb{C}##, we have ##\zeta_{15} = e^{2\pi i /15}## is a possible choice. But then ##\zeta_{15}^8 = e^{2\pi i (8/15)}## is a 15th root of unity but not the same one.

It is indeed true that ##\zeta_3\zeta_5## is a primitive 15th root of unity. And depending on how you defined ##\zeta_{15}##, equality holds. For example:

[tex]e^{2\pi i/3} e^{2\pi i/5} = e^{ 2\pi i (8/15) }[/tex]

So this is a primitive 15th root of unity. But it is not ##\zeta_{15}## if you defined ##\zeta_{15} = e^{2\pi i /15}##.

Likes 1 person
Perhaps instead of using [itex] ζ_{n} [/itex] to represent a particular primitive n-th root, you might use it to denote the whole set of primitive n-th roots. Then change "=" with [itex] \in [/itex], and define the product of two sets as the set containing all possible products of elements from either set. Then what you say will be true.

Last edited:
micromass said:
You got to be careful to specify which root you work with. It is certainly true that ##\zeta_{15}^8## is a primitive 15th root of unity, but it might not be the same one!

For example, in ##\mathbb{C}##, we have ##\zeta_{15} = e^{2\pi i /15}## is a possible choice. But then ##\zeta_{15}^8 = e^{2\pi i (8/15)}## is a 15th root of unity but not the same one.

It is indeed true that ##\zeta_3\zeta_5## is a primitive 15th root of unity. And depending on how you defined ##\zeta_{15}##, equality holds. For example:

[tex]e^{2\pi i/3} e^{2\pi i/5} = e^{ 2\pi i (8/15) }[/tex]

So this is a primitive 15th root of unity. But it is not ##\zeta_{15}## if you defined ##\zeta_{15} = e^{2\pi i /15}##.

Thanks. We can also conclude that ##\Bbb{Q}(\zeta_{15}^8) = \Bbb{Q}(\zeta_{15})## since both are primitive roots of unity and ##\zeta_{15}^{8k}=\zeta_{15}## and ##\zeta_{15}^m = \zeta_{15}^8## for some ##k## and ##m##, right?

Artusartos said:
Thanks. We can also conclude that ##\Bbb{Q}(\zeta_{15}^8) = \Bbb{Q}(\zeta_{15})## since both are primitive roots of unity and ##\zeta_{15}^{8k}=\zeta_{15}## and ##\zeta_{15}^m = \zeta_{15}^8## for some ##k## and ##m##, right?

Sure.

But note that it doesn't work for ##\zeta_{15}^5##, for example.

Related to Multiplying primitive roots of unity.

What is the definition of "multiplying primitive roots of unity?"

Multiplying primitive roots of unity refers to the process of multiplying two or more primitive roots of unity, which are complex numbers with a magnitude of 1 and raised to a power that is relatively prime to the order of the root. This produces another primitive root of unity.

What is the significance of multiplying primitive roots of unity?

Multiplying primitive roots of unity is significant in number theory and abstract algebra. It allows for the generation of all other roots of unity and plays a crucial role in the study of cyclotomic fields and finite fields.

How do you multiply primitive roots of unity?

To multiply primitive roots of unity, you can use the formula (a^m)*(b^n) = (ab)^(m*n), where a and b are primitive roots of unity and m and n are relatively prime to the order of the roots.

What are some examples of multiplying primitive roots of unity?

One example is multiplying the primitive roots of unity 1 and i, which results in the primitive root of unity -i. Another example is multiplying the primitive roots of unity 1 and e^(2*pi*i/5), which results in the primitive root of unity e^(4*pi*i/5).

What is the relationship between multiplying primitive roots of unity and the roots of unity?

Multiplying primitive roots of unity generates all other roots of unity. For example, multiplying the primitive roots of unity 1 and e^(2*pi*i/5) generates the fifth roots of unity, which are 1, e^(2*pi*i/5), e^(4*pi*i/5), e^(6*pi*i/5), and e^(8*pi*i/5).