Multiplication of an Identity Matrix by a Column

In summary, the problem involves multiplying two matrices, one being a 2x2 identity matrix and the other being a 2x1 vector. The answer is expected to be a 2x1 matrix, but the back of the book states that the answer does not exist. This is because the number of columns in the identity matrix must match the number of rows in the second matrix for the multiplication to be possible.
k8thegr8

Homework Statement

[/B]
This is a seemingly simple problem. All I have to do is multiply two matrices:

[ 1 0 ]
[ 0 1 ] (A)

and

[ 2 ]
[ 3 ] (B)

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
Because the matrix A has the same number of columns as matrix B has rows, and because matrix A is an identity matrix, I would expect the answer to just be matrix B. But the back of the book says the answer does not exist which boggles me. Can anyone share any useful insight?

Physics news on Phys.org
It's not clear from your problem statement whether you are supposed to calculate AB or BA. They're not the same calculation.

k8thegr8 said:

Homework Statement

[/B]
This is a seemingly simple problem. All I have to do is multiply two matrices:
Where is your problem statement? What is A? What is B? I can see you have the two-dimension identity matrix in your first product, but what is the significance of the vector <2, 3> in the second product? Without knowing anything about A and B and without a clear statement of the problem it's impossible to provide you with any help.
k8thegr8 said:
[ 1 0 ]
[ 0 1 ] (A)

and

[ 2 ]
[ 3 ] (B)

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
Because the matrix A has the same number of columns as matrix B has rows, and because matrix A is an identity matrix, I would expect the answer to just be matrix B. But the back of the book says the answer does not exist which boggles me. Can anyone share any useful insight?
What

If you have a 2x2 times a 2x1, this is okay and will yield a 2x1 matrix.
If you have a 2x1 times a 2x2, this does not work. The # of columns in your first matrix must equal the # of rows in your second. The 2x2 identity matrix can be right or left multiplied onto any other 2x2 matrices with the expected result, but other than that, you have to match your dimensions.

Related to Multiplication of an Identity Matrix by a Column

What is an identity matrix?

An identity matrix is a special type of square matrix that has 1s on the main diagonal and 0s everywhere else. It is denoted by the symbol I and has the property that when multiplied by any other matrix, the result is the original matrix.

What is a column vector?

A column vector is a matrix with only one column. It is often used to represent data or variables in a system of equations.

Why is multiplying an identity matrix by a column vector important?

Multiplying an identity matrix by a column vector is important because it allows us to easily transform or scale the vector without changing its direction. This is useful in various mathematical and scientific applications, such as linear transformations and solving systems of equations.

How do you multiply an identity matrix by a column vector?

To multiply an identity matrix by a column vector, simply multiply each element in the vector by the corresponding element on the main diagonal of the identity matrix. The resulting vector will be the same as the original vector, but scaled by the values on the main diagonal of the identity matrix.

What is the result of multiplying an identity matrix by a column vector?

The result of multiplying an identity matrix by a column vector is the same vector, but scaled by the values on the main diagonal of the identity matrix. In other words, the direction of the vector remains unchanged, but its magnitude may be altered.