Multiple Measurements of a single Qubit

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of multiple measurements on a qubit in quantum theory and how it relates to the No-Communication-Theorem. The group discusses the possibility of fixing a qubit in a certain state after measurement, and whether this allows for multiple measurements or not. They also touch on the concept of entanglement and its limitations. Ultimately, they conclude that multiple measurements are possible but will affect the system, and the entanglement only applies to the first measurement.
Ruik
Hi :-)

I'm working on my master thesis in the field of quantum theory; currently I investigante No-Go-Theorems like the No-Cloning, No-Deleting, No-Hiding, No-Communication-Theorems ans so on. There is a fundamental question which is somehow linked to the No-Communication-Theorem.

Is it - in theory - possible to measure one qubits multiple times?
Lets say, you have a qubit |q> = |+> = 0.5^0.5 * |0> + 0.5^0.5 * |1> and perform a measurement in the standard basis. With a probability of 0.5 the outcome of the measurement is |0>. Since the superpostition is destroyed now, the outcome of a second, third, fourth... measurement must be |0> as well. But is it even allowed to perform multiple measurements?
I'm aware that this might be difficult to realize, since photons are destroyed during a measurment. I'm wondering if the theory of quantum mechanics prohibits multiple measurements.

These are my thoughts which lead to a contradiction to the No-Communication-Theorem, so somewhere must be a mistake:
If I take a qubit |q> = |+> and perform a measurement in the |+>/|-> basis, the outcome would be |+> with probabilty 1. By doing this I fix the qubit in the state |+>. So if it would be possible to perform another measurement in the |0>/|1> basis I would get a random bit. And since |q> is fixed in the state |+>, every following measurement should producea random bit as well.
The No-Communication-Theorem says that it is impossible to communicate via entagled EPR-pairs, especially not faster than light. But if there would be a pair of entagled qubits - one on earth, one on Mars - and the first one is measured in either the |0>/|1> basis or the |+>/|-> basis, then the person on Mars would be able to find out which basis was used by performing multiple measurements in both basises; for one basis he always gets the same result, for the other basis he gets different results.

So... this is known to be impossible. Maybe the answer is just, that not even in theory it is possible to perform multiple measurements on one qubit, but I never heard or read about such a limitation.

Physics news on Phys.org
Of course you can measure several times. However, doing so will affect your system.
See e.g. the quantum Zeno effect.

Likes Ruik
The entanglement only applies to the first measurement you do. After that the qubits act independently again, so the |+>-vs-|-> basis measurement will kick the qubit into one of those values and keep returning it even if the other side used |0>-vs-|1> for their measurement.

You can even test whether or not your strategy would work. Go to this blog post, scroll down to the "Write Your Own Quantum Communication Strategy" section, and enter these strategies into the simulator widget:

Alice:
turn(X, 90)
measure()

Bob:
move = measure() != measure()

If Bob's measurements were differing based on what Alice did, you'd start winning the game more than 50% of the time.

Likes Ruik
Where did you get the notion of "fixing the qubit in a state"? This isn't compatible with the postulates of QM.

You can always perform a measurement such that your supposedly fixed state is not an eigenstate of the corresponding observable and therefore is changed by it.

Last edited:
Likes Ruik
@kith: I meant, that after the measurement the qubit is definately in the state |+> an not in some kind of a superposition. But you are right, its absolutely possible to change the state again, so its not really fixed.

What Strilanc wrote answers my question. I tought the entanglement would continue to exist, but it sounds logically that its not. So the guy on Mars only has a connection to the Earth qubit with the first measurement.

Thank you all for your answers!

Related to Multiple Measurements of a single Qubit

1. What is a single qubit measurement?

A single qubit measurement is a way to observe and extract information from a single quantum bit (qubit). It involves performing a measurement on the qubit, which results in a classical value that represents the state of the qubit at the time of measurement.

2. Why are multiple measurements of a single qubit important?

Multiple measurements of a single qubit are important because they allow us to gather more information about the qubit's state. By performing multiple measurements and analyzing the results, we can gain a better understanding of the qubit's behavior and properties.

3. How are multiple measurements of a single qubit performed?

Multiple measurements of a single qubit are typically performed by applying different measurement operators to the qubit. These operators can be chosen to measure different properties of the qubit, such as its energy level or spin.

4. What is the purpose of averaging multiple measurements of a single qubit?

The purpose of averaging multiple measurements of a single qubit is to reduce the effects of noise and other sources of error in the measurement process. By taking the average of multiple measurements, we can obtain a more accurate representation of the qubit's state.

5. How do multiple measurements of a single qubit relate to quantum information processing?

Multiple measurements of a single qubit are essential for quantum information processing, as they allow us to extract and manipulate information from individual qubits. This is a crucial step in building quantum computers and other quantum devices that rely on the properties of qubits to perform complex calculations and tasks.