Multiple Choice problem (internal energy)

In summary, two objects of the same material have the same internal energies if they have the same mass and temperature.
cathole
What must be true for two objects of the same material to have the same internal energies?
(Choose all that apply)

a. The masses of both objects must be equal

b. Both objects must have the same density

c. The temperatures of both objects must be equal

d. Separate objects cannot have identical internal energies

I guessed a,b,c and was wrong. I am thinking only a &b. Please tell me what you think.

Physics news on Phys.org
You aren't saying why you think any of those are true. Guessing may be the wrong strategy. How would you calculate internal energy of a system given temperature and masses of the component objects, assuming it's an ideal gas for example?

Dick,
I have no clue what "strategy" to go with, that's the whole reason I'm here.

cathole said:
Dick,
I have no clue what "strategy" to go with, that's the whole reason I'm here.

Right, but can you think of two objects whose masses are equal but have different internal energies? Two objects whose densities are equal but have different internal energies etc. etc. That's the sort of strategy I'm talking about. Are ANY of those true? All I know is guessing won't work. They wouldn't give you this question if you didn't know SOMETHING.

Last edited:
You've got the right general idea about what internal energy is, that's a start. But try and make that general idea more concrete. Don't you have ANY specific examples to reason from? Like I said ideal gases would be a good starting point. But why do you think temperature doesn't matter? Doesn't that determine internal kinetic energies and vibrational energies? Are you really supposed to answer this starting from ground zero?

Yes, ground zero. I am leaning towards mass and temperature as the answer to the question.

I will have two lectures on thermodynamics in the coming week. I'm trying to complete online homework and can't find a good source of information for this question.

I think I've got it.

The objects have to have the same mass in order to have equal heat capacity.

The objects have to have the same temperature to be in thermal equilibrium.

If there heat capacity and thermal equilibrium are identical, their internal energy will be the same.

cathole said:
I think I've got it.

The objects have to have the same mass in order to have equal heat capacity.

The objects have to have the same temperature to be in thermal equilibrium.

If there heat capacity and thermal equilibrium are identical, their internal energy will be the same.

No, that's not it. If sample A has internal energy E, and sample B has internal energy 2E, then two copies of A have the same internal energy as B, right? Internal energy is an extensive property, yes? Do A and B have to have any properties in common?

Here it is...

Attachments

• ScreenShot001.jpg
    ScreenShot001.jpg
    19 KB · Views: 470
If it's 'separate objects cannot have equal internal energies', that's a bunch of baloney.

the image shows my response just minutes ago. you can see it gave me credit for my response. (my response in green) the check mark is just in a weird spot, that's not the answer.

thanks for your efforts.

Well, congratulations. I really can't agree with their answers. But there you go. You're welcome.

Related to Multiple Choice problem (internal energy)

What is internal energy?

Internal energy is the total energy contained within a system, including the kinetic and potential energy of its particles.

How is internal energy related to temperature?

The internal energy of a system is directly proportional to its temperature. As the temperature increases, so does the internal energy.

What factors affect the internal energy of a system?

The internal energy of a system is affected by the number of particles in the system, their masses, and their speeds. It is also affected by any external work or heat added or removed from the system.

What is the difference between internal energy and enthalpy?

Internal energy is the total energy within a system, while enthalpy is the sum of the internal energy and the product of pressure and volume. Enthalpy takes into account the energy required to change the volume of the system at constant pressure.

How is internal energy measured?

Internal energy is typically measured in joules (J) or kilojoules (kJ) using instruments such as calorimeters, which measure the amount of heat exchanged in a system.