Multigrid : Restriction operator

• Thread starter kolmog
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Operator
In summary: Your Name]In summary, the conversation discussed using multigrid methods to solve a Poisson equation in 3D with periodic boundary conditions. The user mentioned using trilinear interpolation for the interpolation and a combination of bilinear/trilinear interpolation for the restriction operator. The expert suggested considering using a full weighting restriction operator and also recommended testing different approaches and considering adaptive mesh refinement for better accuracy and efficiency.
kolmog
Hello everybody,

I have a small question related to multigrid. I am trying to solve a Poisson equation in 3D with periodic boundary conditions with cell-centered multigrid. I have programmed a quite fast serial code which performs V-cycles with a maximum of 7 grids. For the interpolation from a coarse grid to a fine grid, I have used trilinear interpolation (that in page 69 of the book "An introduction to multigrid methods (Wesseling)"). My doubt deals with the choice of the restriction operator. In the case of using bilinear interpolation (2D) or trilinear interpolation in 3D, the most common choice is "full weighting" for the restriction operator. In my case I have adopted the following formula:

Fi=[itex]\frac{1}{8}[/itex]Ʃ[itex]^{8}_{j=1}[/itex]fj

with 'f' being the value of a function in the fine grid (spacing = h) and F being the value in the coarse grid (H=2h). That is, in my cell-centered multigrid code, values in the coarse grid, are generated by taking into account the first 8 fine grid neighbors surrounding the point in the coarse grid.

I think it is a reasonable choice, but taking into account that I use Galerkin approximation to compute the left-hand side operator in the different coarse grids, I want to be sure. I am considering a fourth-order (Mehrstellen) scheme for the discretization of the left-hand side oprator in the finest grid).

I would appreciate a response.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

[Username]

Dear [Username],

Thank you for your question. It is great to see that you are working with multigrid methods to solve a Poisson equation in 3D with periodic boundary conditions. Your approach of using trilinear interpolation for the interpolation and a combination of bilinear/trilinear interpolation for the restriction operator seems reasonable. However, I would suggest considering using a full weighting restriction operator instead of your current choice.

The full weighting restriction operator takes into account all neighboring fine grid points, rather than just the first 8 neighbors. This can lead to a more accurate approximation and better convergence rates. Additionally, using a fourth-order scheme for the discretization of the left-hand side operator in the finest grid is a good choice, as it can also improve the accuracy of your solution.

I would also recommend testing your code with different restriction operators and comparing the results to see which one gives the best convergence rates and accuracy for your specific problem. Additionally, you may want to consider using a multigrid method with adaptive mesh refinement, as it can further improve the accuracy and efficiency of your solution.

I hope this helps and good luck with your research!

Related to Multigrid : Restriction operator

1. What is the purpose of the restriction operator in multigrid?

The restriction operator in multigrid is used to reduce the resolution of a given problem by coarsening the grid. This allows for faster computation of the solution, as larger grids require more computational resources.

2. How does the restriction operator work?

The restriction operator works by taking the values from a finer grid and averaging them to obtain values for a coarser grid. This process is repeated until the desired level of coarsening is achieved.

3. What are the benefits of using the restriction operator in multigrid?

The restriction operator allows for faster convergence of the multigrid method by reducing the number of iterations required to obtain a solution. It also helps to reduce the memory and computational resources needed for larger grids.

4. Can the restriction operator be used for non-uniform grids?

Yes, the restriction operator can be adapted for use on non-uniform grids by using interpolation methods to determine the values on the coarser grid. This allows for greater flexibility in grid design and can improve the accuracy of the multigrid method.

5. Are there any limitations to using the restriction operator in multigrid?

One limitation of using the restriction operator is that it may not work well for highly complex problems with irregular or discontinuous solutions. In these cases, alternative methods may need to be used. Additionally, the restriction operator may introduce errors in the solution, which can affect the accuracy of the final result.