MTW Gravitation Ex. 25.16: Comparing Equations & Expressing u_0 in \tilde{L}

In summary, the equations 25.42 and 25.47 can be combined to produce the following: $u_0=-\frac{1}{\tilde{L}^2}$.
luinthoron
Hello, I am trying to work out this exercise for my personal research connected with my bachelor thesis. The task is to compare equations (25.42) and (25.47) and express $u_0$ in terms of \tilde{L}. I have so far put the two equations together getting

\begin{equation}
12u^2u_0\tilde{L}^2-18uu_0^2\tilde{L}^2-u_0^2\tilde{L}^2+2uu_0\tilde{L}^2-\tilde{E}_0^2=2u-1
\end{equation}

After this I tried putting some terms together but I think I am missing another equation since there are in fact two unknowns: $u_0$ and $\tilde{E}_0$ or is there some trick I am missing?

For those without access to MTW, here are the equations: \\

(25.42)
\begin{equation}
\left(\frac{\mathrm{d}u}{\mathrm{d}\varphi}\right)^2=\frac{\tilde{E}^2}{\tilde{L}^2}-\frac{1}{\tilde{L}^2}\left(1-2u\right)\left(1+\tilde{L}^2u^2\right)
\end{equation}

and (25.47)

\begin{equation}
\left(\frac{\mathrm{d}u}{\mathrm{d}\varphi}\right)^2+\left(1-6u_0\right)\left(u-u_0\right)^2-2\left(u-u_0\right)^3=\frac{\tilde{E}^2-\tilde{E}_0^2}{\tilde{L}^2}
\end{equation}

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Each equation expresses (du/dφ)2 in terms of a cubic in u. Expand out the cubics and equate the coefficients of each power of u.

Thank you for the advice. I ended up with:

\begin{equation}
\tilde{E}_0^2=4\tilde{L}^2u_0^3-\tilde{L}^2u_0^2+1
\end{equation}

\begin{equation}
3u_0^2-u_0=-\frac{1}{\tilde{L}^2}
\end{equation}

The second one is a quadratic equation, so I can write the solution

\begin{equation}
{u_0}_{1,2}=\frac{1\pm\sqrt{1-\frac{12}{\tilde{L}^2}}}{6} .
\end{equation}

But this would give a condition for \tilde{L}, which I find suspicious. Also which of the two roots is correct? It stays possitive in both cases and I can't come with any other clue to help me choose. Any additional hints, please?

Related to MTW Gravitation Ex. 25.16: Comparing Equations & Expressing u_0 in \tilde{L}

1. What is MTW Gravitation Ex. 25.16?

MTW Gravitation Ex. 25.16 is a problem from the renowned textbook "Gravitation" by Misner, Thorne, and Wheeler. It involves comparing equations and expressing the critical parameter u_0 in terms of the characteristic length scale \tilde{L}.

2. Why is this problem important?

This problem is important because it helps us understand the relationship between different equations and how to express important parameters in terms of fundamental quantities. It also allows for a deeper understanding of the concept of critical parameters in physics.

3. What is the significance of comparing equations?

Comparing equations allows us to identify patterns and relationships between different physical quantities. This can lead to new insights and understanding of the underlying physics behind a particular phenomenon.

4. How is u_0 expressed in terms of \tilde{L}?

Using the equations provided in MTW Gravitation Ex. 25.16, u_0 can be expressed as u_0 = \tilde{L}/(2GM), where G is the gravitational constant and M is the mass of the central object.

5. What are some real-world applications of this problem?

This problem has applications in astrophysics, particularly in the study of black holes and gravitational lensing. It can also be applied to other areas of physics, such as fluid mechanics and electromagnetism, where critical parameters play a role in the behavior of systems.