MTech fresher in electronics domain

In summary, the person is a recent MTech graduate in the electronics field who has been struggling to find a job for 3 months. They have a good academic record and have applied to various companies, but have received little to no response. They also have an interview for a PhD program, but do not feel prepared and do not want to continue in the education field. They are frustrated and depressed with their current situation and are seeking advice on how to improve their job search.
badfate
I'm an MTech fresher in electronics domain, have been looking for job since 3 months.. its getting almost an year since i finished my exams.

I don't even remember the names of companies where I'm applying and almost nil response. I did my BE from an average college and in mass recruitments i was selected to wipro but after having qualified GATE 2010 i joined a good college nearby for MTech. I'm not a great brainy that can get admission at iisc or iits but i could have joined NITs . I consider myself good enough to handle job, comparing with others' prospects at industries. i have a good resume , good academic record, internship, extra course at iisc but still nothings happening.

ppl tat had backlogs, no distinctions all throughout have jobs now and are proceeding well in life while I'm deccelerating. Also its so ugly to ask for anything at home and i think over.. is this why i struggled so hard studying these many years.

and i have an interview at IISC next week for phd and i think i can't make it as no preparation also neither want to fall into education pit again anymore.

after crossing all the frustration levels, entering depression now. If anyone understands reason for my situation, pls tell me.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'll offer a few hints.

badfate said:
I don't even remember the names of companies where I'm applying

If you can't remember the names of the companies you are applying to, how do you expect the people at them to remember who you are and think of you when it comes time to hire?

badfate said:
i have a good resume , good academic record, internship, extra course at iisc but still nothings happening.
You certainly have not typed here like you have much of an education. It's important to realize that people looking to hire candidates have access to Google. If I were to perform a search using the information on your CV, would I find most of your online presence is similar to what you've posted here? If so, that may be a part of your problem.

Also, think about the assumptions you make. If I look at what you wrote in this single post, there are all kinds of acronyms where you've simply assumed the reader will know what you mean. I have no idea what you mean by:
- wipro
- GATE 2010
- IISC
- IITS
- NIT
I could probably make some guesses and use Google, to figure them out, but I'm not that ambitious.

Other questions you may want to ask yourself:
- What techniques are you using to network?
- Have you had anyone critque your CV and cover letters?
- How are your tailoring your CV and cover letters to each position?
- When you apply to a position, who are you talking to? How are you determining if the position is the right fit for you?
- After you apply to a position, how are you following up?

badfate said:
I'm an MTech fresher in electronics domain, have been looking for job since 3 months.. its getting almost an year since i finished my exams.

I don't even remember the names of companies where I'm applying and almost nil response. I did my BE from an average college and in mass recruitments i was selected to wipro but after having qualified GATE 2010 i joined a good college nearby for MTech. I'm not a great brainy that can get admission at iisc or iits but i could have joined NITs . I consider myself good enough to handle job, comparing with others' prospects at industries. i have a good resume , good academic record, internship, extra course at iisc but still nothings happening.

ppl tat had backlogs, no distinctions all throughout have jobs now and are proceeding well in life while I'm deccelerating. Also its so ugly to ask for anything at home and i think over.. is this why i struggled so hard studying these many years.

and i have an interview at IISC next week for phd and i think i can't make it as no preparation also neither want to fall into education pit again anymore.

after crossing all the frustration levels, entering depression now. If anyone understands reason for my situation, pls tell me.

@above_reply

when i said i don't remember the companies where i applied, i meant i have been applying to a lot of positions which ever i find falls into vicinity of my subjects i have studied on job board forums.

ya probably i need to work on cover letters and cv, thanks for that.

How do i follow?? you tell me.. i apply for the position on company's site, and i get an automated reply that's it. If there's access to HR, only then i can contact right..

If you ddint understnd those keywords, then probably you belong to other geographical area altogether, and i presumed everyone knows them.
(well, wipro is a company(sservice based), IISc NITS IITS are national level institutes.)

Choppy said:
I'll offer a few hints.
If I look at what you wrote in this single post, there are all kinds of acronyms where you've simply assumed the reader will know what you mean. I have no idea what you mean by:
- wipro
- GATE 2010
- IISC
- IITS
- NIT
I could probably make some guesses and use Google, to figure them out, but I'm not that ambitious.
badfate said:
If you ddint understnd those keywords, then probably you belong to other geographical area altogether, and i presumed everyone knows them.
I had never heard of them either, and looking them up gave me an excuse to procrastinate an extra few minutes. I think IISC, IITS, NITs are universities, Wipro is a consulting firm, and all are based in India.

I'm fairly confident that almost nobody in Europe or North America would recognize any of these acronyms, except people who happen to be from India or who have family in India.

@NegativeDept ok fine, i understood tat other ppl won't know about those institutes but that wasnt the prob i mentioned anyways!

The point with the acronyms wasn't about the acronyms themselves. It was to think about the assumptions that you make when you write about yourself. Another example might be citing this MTech that you are working towards. What does that mean? I would assume it's a masters degree in electronics technology, although that in and of itself has little meaning to me.

The point is that on your CV and in your interactions with people you may be relying on what you assume is common knowledge to represent yourself, but sometimes you have to spell things out. Of course, I don't know this... I'm just going based on the post you made originally which came across as very cryptic.

badfate said:
How do i follow?? you tell me.. i apply for the position on company's site, and i get an automated reply that's it. If there's access to HR, only then i can contact right..

Sending in a CV in response to a listing on a job board is only one step.

If you find a job that sounds interesting, first try to learn everything you can about it. Call the company and try to speak to someone who knows what that job involves, prefereably someone who will have a say in the hiring process. Having a direct contact is a major advantage. You can also find out about the specifics of the hiring process. How long will they be recruiting? Who is in charge of making the final decision? Who handles salary and benefit negotiations?

One you know about the specifics, then you apply formally. Send in your CV to the HR department, but also give it directly to your contact person.

Follow up. Call or email this contact after a reasonable amount of time, when you know the job is closed. Remind this person you are still interested.

If you don't get the job, make sure to send an email thanking them for the opportunity to apply, thank anyone who interviewed you, and solicit feedback. You can also ask if they are aware of any other similar opportunities that might be a good fit for you.

On top of all of this, you need to be learning as much as you can about the market you're interested in. Make any contact you can. Just because someone doesn't have an immediate opening doesn't mean that it's not worth your time talking to them.

OMG that's quite terrifying now, but i have been successful till before starting this job hunt. Ok, thanks for the point, i ll check again to avoid any assumptive knowledge from the other person.

the problem appears something else too for me, i think i haven't faced such a situation ever in life as i anticipated worst possible scenario and prepared myself for it and some or the other thing clicked evrytime. I got a lil casual this time and due to less focus i stand here now :( also I'm all alone in this unknown process, I'm not in touch with ppl in same situation who would probably help me atleast morally.
i too know very well, there is surely something that I'm totally unaware of, which is holding me back from getting a job, and i wished a lot of times for the knowledge but it looks like Gods happy seeing me weeping.
(sorry if that was too much)

Ok i ll try following my applications, and that's too new for me, thanks a lot for giving me an idea Mr/Ms Choppy :)

My experience has been that every successful job hunt involves networking. Networking means "talking to people."

#1 - Join groups, meet people and talk to them. Do not be a beggar, but be proactive. Ask EVERYONE if they know anybody you can talk to. If you got 1 name from every person you know, and got 1 name from each of those people, and so on; eventually you would find that one person who can help you.

#2 - Dress like, act like, and associate with the people you hope to get a job from. Make finding a job your job. Get up each day, dress for work, put together copies of your CV, your business cards, reference letters, etc. Go out and knock on doors. Do not underestimate the value of the receptionist, or the cleaning lady, or the local delivery person. These people hear things and they know who is important and who you should be trying to meet. Make a lot of friends, and keep these friendships going. This is your job, take it seriously. Tell everyone you meet that you are looking for a job. Do not be shy. Do not give anyone the impression that you are sad, or are tired of looking for a job. Make them believe that looking for a job is fun for you - and that once you get a job you will be just as hard-working and easy to work with.

#3 - Don't hesitate to take a job that is less than what you want if it is in the company or industry you really want to be in. Once you get inside it will be a lot easier to prove your skills, find out about openings BEFORE they occur, and become friends with hiring managers. This particular method has worked with me 3 times - gaining 5 and 6-figure salaried jobs from hourly-waged positions. Be patient though. This process takes a few years, but it is very worthwhile since you may be earning your 6-figure income for 15 to 20 years or more once you get it.

Bottom line: You cannot get your dream job sitting at home hoping someone will call you.

@^hmmm.. but that's not easy for me.. if i had that many friends i would not have posted my problem like this to seek help from strangers. i seriously have no ppl atall i can say..
ya i know many ppl have hundreds or even thousands of friends.. but i have one 2 or 3.. who don't even belong to my agegroup neither professionwise.. for me friends are those to whom i can be weird with or share anything and everything anytime.. anyways..
i never believed in keeping touch with ppl for some future need.. i feel that's selfishness or really cheap.. do it whole heartedly or don't do ashte..

you can call me a recluse coz that's how i appear to many.. now you find any solution??

i'm not touch wid ppl from school.. pu.. engg.. neither mtech..

You don't seem very receptive to advice, every time someone post with a suggestion on how to better your résumé or follow up on an application you have a counter. As already mentioned you really need to improve your grammar and spelling, if your writing is this bad on the Internet it's probably not much better in person or on your résumé. Now here is my piece of advice, join LinkedIn and post your skill set and explain in detail your education and intern experiences. I've personally met a good many people through LinkedIn, and maybe try networking more by going out to conferences and seminars or join a professional organization. By the way I have no idea what any of your acronyms mean either, I assumed you were from a different non US region.

@^
you are here to check my grammar?? (thats rude)
ok. I'm from a place where we have our own regional language and obviously my English is not good.(Dont worry, i won't write a book in English or kill it in any sense)

my problem is something else, if you can't understand atleast don't ridicule.

I shared my problem to take suggestions only, ofcourse not to underestimate them. But if i sounded so, that's just a misconception as that was not intended.

Also, i have changed my resume you know?? i have sent mails to the HRs regarding the status of application as they told me. I'm trying ok.
How can people be so negative about me when I'm so humble and struggling. This so aptly substantiates my fate! :(

I'm closing this thread; the productive part is past, and we're now getting into negativity.

Likes 1 person

Related to MTech fresher in electronics domain

What is MTech Fresher in Electronics Domain?

MTech Fresher in Electronics Domain refers to a person who has recently completed their Master of Technology degree in the field of Electronics. This degree program focuses on advanced topics in electronics, such as digital signal processing, microelectronics, and communication systems.

What are the career opportunities for MTech Fresher in Electronics Domain?

As an MTech Fresher in Electronics Domain, you can pursue a career in various industries, such as telecommunication, semiconductor manufacturing, consumer electronics, and research and development. You can also work as a design engineer, research scientist, or technical consultant.

What skills are required for an MTech Fresher in Electronics Domain?

To be successful in the field of electronics, an MTech Fresher should have a strong foundation in mathematics, physics, and computer science. They should also have a good understanding of electronic circuits, programming languages, and an analytical mindset to solve complex problems.

What is the average salary for an MTech Fresher in Electronics Domain?

The average salary for an MTech Fresher in Electronics Domain varies depending on the industry, company, and location. However, on average, an MTech Fresher can expect to earn between 4-6 lakhs per annum in India.

What are some tips for MTech Fresher in Electronics Domain to land a job?

Some tips for MTech Fresher in Electronics Domain to land a job include networking with professionals in the field, gaining relevant experience through internships or projects, showcasing your skills through a portfolio or online presence, and continuously updating your knowledge and skills through courses or workshops.