Moving Point Charges - Voltage Calculations

In summary, the conversation discusses the computation of voltage between points A and B or C, the effect of a change in the configuration on the voltage, and the impact of transition time on the voltage. The experts also clarify the use of subscripts and the presence of a current in the given scenario.
somasimple
Gold Member
Hi all,

Here is my problem:

Two positive points charges are situated as the initial figure:
1/ How to compute the voltage between A and B (or C)?

2/ If the final condition is like described in the second figure, what is now the voltage between A and B.
3/ if the transition between the two states takes a time t1, does the speed of this transition changes something about the voltage that exists between A and B?

Thanks.

Attachments

• moving_charges_02.jpg
    moving_charges_02.jpg
    16.1 KB · Views: 352
  • moving_charges_58.jpg
    moving_charges_58.jpg
    13 KB · Views: 375
Physics news on Phys.org
What is the potential or voltage due to a single point charge? That would be useful here.

BTW, I received a warning/infraction but I'm not an undergrad student.
The question is just outside my level of expertise (health).

somasimple said:
Yes, exactly, that is the way to go.
But since there is a space behind charges I suppose the computation a little different?
No, it's really the same computation. Use the distance from the point of interest (either A or B) to each charge.

somasimple said:
BTW, I received a warning/infraction but I'm not an undergrad student.
The question is just outside my level of expertise (health).
Okay, but that is not relevant. Any textbook-style problem, even if it's for your own independent study, is subject to our "homework help" rules. If you haven't already, you can check out our policy by clicking the "Rules" link at the top of this page, and then scroll down to the section titled Homework Help.

Redbelly98 said:
Okay, but that is not relevant. Any textbook-style problem, even if it's for your own independent study, is subject to our "homework help" rules. If you haven't already, you can check out our policy by clicking the "Rules" link at the top of this page, and then scroll down to the section titled Homework Help.
I made the subject. I made the images. I put the subject in the right forum (Classics Physics) but the subject was moved by a moderator.

If you'd like to continue with working on the problem, I am willing to help.

As a start, I can suggest computing the potential at point B in your first figure.

Redbelly98 said:
As a start, I can suggest computing the potential at point B in your first figure.

My shortcut (?)
k = coulomb's constant
d2 = d-r2
VAB=(k*q1/(r1+d2))+(k*q2/(r2+d2))
it takes account of the space behind the charges (?)

Ah, no, it doesn't really work that way. For example, the potential at point B due to charge q1 alone would be

k q1 / (distance from q1 to B)

However, I am looking at the figures more closely and some things are confusing me:

1. You have used r2 to refer to the position of q1. Did you mean to mix the subscripts like that? It is confusing to do so, but we can go with that definition if that is what you intend.

2. Do "A" and "B" refer to points along the line joining the charges? It would make sense if they do, but then point "C" would be the same as point "B" in your first figure.

there is an error in the figure. r1 was meant to belong to q1.
and r2 to q2.

Redbelly98 said:
2. Do "A" and "B" refer to points along the line joining the charges? It would make sense if they do, but then point "C" would be the same as point "B" in your first figure.
Yes.

Okay, thanks.

So, if you just had charge q1, the potential at B would be
k q1 / r1
But you also need to add the potential due to charge q2, so you'd have
VB = (k q1 / r1) + ____​

Then you'd do the same thing for VA, the potential at point A.

VB = (k q1 / r1) + (k q2 / r2)
VA = (k q1 /(d-r1)) + (k q2 /(d- r2)) ?

Yes, that's right.

And the voltage between A & B would be VA-VB ... or VB-VA, depending on whether A or B is being used as the reference point.

EDIT:
Your question #2 works the same way.
#3: As long as we are ignoring relativistic effects, then no, the speed of the transition does not affect the potential.

Redbelly98 said:
#3: As long as we are ignoring relativistic effects, then no, the speed of the transition does not affect the potential.
Does it affect the electric current?

I thought there was a current since there is a voltage but and I'm certainly wrong.

I made new pictures:
Hope they are more accurate.

Attachments

• moving_charges_02.jpg
    moving_charges_02.jpg
    17.2 KB · Views: 360
  • moving_charges_58.jpg
    moving_charges_58.jpg
    14.8 KB · Views: 357
somasimple said:
I thought there was a current since there is a voltage but and I'm certainly wrong.
There would have to be some type of conductor joining A and B for there to be a current.
somasimple said:
I made new pictures:
Hope they are more accurate.
Looks good, that more accurately depicts the situation you are describing.

Redbelly98 said:
There would have to be some type of conductor joining A and B for there to be a current.
That is what I learned some time ago. A current may exist only if there is an electric circuit.

Redbelly98 said:
Looks good, that more accurately depicts the situation you are describing.
Thanks.

Related to Moving Point Charges - Voltage Calculations

1. What is a moving point charge?

A moving point charge is an electrically charged particle that is in motion. This can be an electron, proton, or any other charged particle.

2. How is voltage calculated for moving point charges?

Voltage is calculated by multiplying the charge of the moving point charge by the electric field strength at the point where the charge is located. This can be represented by the equation V = Q*E.

3. What is the relationship between voltage and moving point charges?

Voltage is directly proportional to the movement of point charges. This means that as the charge moves, the voltage also changes accordingly.

4. What factors affect the voltage of moving point charges?

The voltage of moving point charges is affected by the magnitude of the charge, the electric field strength, and the distance between the charge and the point where the voltage is being measured.

5. How is voltage calculated for multiple moving point charges?

For multiple moving point charges, the total voltage can be calculated by summing the individual voltages of each charge. This can be represented by the equation V = Σ(Qi*Ei), where Qi is the charge of each point charge and Ei is the electric field strength at the point where the charge is located.