Moving Beyond Formulae: How to Think Like a Physicist

In summary, the conversation discusses studying physics, specifically in the context of a course at Purdue University. The course, PHYS 172, focuses on modern mechanics and begins with algebra, gradually introducing calculus. The individual is struggling to understand physics beyond memorizing formulas and is seeking advice on how to approach it like a physicist. The conversation also mentions several textbooks and resources that may be helpful, including lab courses, simulations, and videos. The speaker suggests using hands-on experimentation and simulations to gain a better understanding of the concepts.
jhyrman
I am doing PHYS 172 at Purdue, modern mechanics which begins with algebra and introduces calculus.
I am having a hard time seeing beyond a page of formulae and understanding physics as fundamental principles. The textbook is "Matter and Interactions" by Chabay and Sherwood, and I am also reading through "Fundamentals of Physics" by Shankar and "The Cartoon Guide to Physics" by Gonick and Huffman.
Do you have any suggestions on how to think of physics like a physicist, rather than like a student cramming for a test? I can memorize formulas all day, but I would rather understand more of the "how" and "why."
Thanks,
Josh

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you have a lab course that matches this stuff? Even if you don't have the lab course, does your uni have undergrad labs that you might get permission to go try?

For example, when I studied collisions, they made us do labs on colliding masses. We had an "air track" thing with very low friction especially at speeds of a few 10's of cm/s. Add a strobe light and a simple camera system, and you can do 1-dimensional collisions.

For a lot of things in first year physics there are fairly easy to set up labs. I found that actually playing with systems that matched the equations gave me a lot better understanding. Some of the 2nd year and 3rd year labs were especially interesting. We did a version of the measurement of the speed of light using rotating mirrors that was lots of fun.

If you can't get actual hardware, then you may find some value in simulations. Or possibly from videos of labs. Google for them. Or look around on YouTube. There are a variety of interesting vids on lab tests. Also, Google for the Khan academy. I think they have moved into first year uni physics stuff.

If you are especially keen at programming, you might try writing a simulation. See if you can write up a sim that will show you what happens for an arbitrary 1-D collision, with arbitrary input velocities and masses for two particles, and arbitrary degree of "elasticity" of the collision, up to the two particles sticking.

Related to Moving Beyond Formulae: How to Think Like a Physicist

1. What is the main focus of "Moving Beyond Formulae: How to Think Like a Physicist"?

The main focus of "Moving Beyond Formulae: How to Think Like a Physicist" is to help readers develop critical thinking skills and a deeper understanding of the fundamental principles of physics. It encourages readers to think beyond memorizing equations and instead focus on problem-solving and understanding the underlying concepts.

2. Who is the intended audience for this book?

This book is intended for anyone interested in physics, regardless of their background or level of experience. It can be beneficial for students studying physics, as well as individuals with a general interest in the subject.

3. What are some key skills that readers can expect to learn from this book?

Readers can expect to learn how to approach physics problems in a systematic and logical manner, how to break down complex problems into manageable parts, and how to apply critical thinking skills to solve problems. They will also learn how to analyze and interpret data, and how to communicate their ideas effectively.

4. How does this book differ from other physics textbooks?

This book differs from other physics textbooks in that it focuses on developing critical thinking skills, rather than simply presenting formulas and equations. It also includes real-world examples and practical exercises to help readers apply the concepts they have learned.

5. Can this book be helpful for students struggling with physics?

Yes, this book can be helpful for students struggling with physics. It provides a different approach to learning and understanding the subject, which can be beneficial for those who may be struggling with traditional methods. It also includes practical tips and strategies for problem-solving, which can help students improve their skills and confidence in physics.