Moving a point charge out of a cavity in a conductor

In summary, the problem involves a point charge q at the center of an uncharged spherical conducting shell with inner radius a and outer radius b. The task is to find the minimum work needed to move the charge out to infinity, assuming it can be taken out through a tiny hole drilled in the shell. The relevant equations are W = qV, V = ∫E.dl, and dl = (r^ dr + θ^ dθ + ϕ^ dϕ). The attempt at a solution involves finding the voltage V, which is given by the integral of E.dl, and using the method of image charges to find E at the point where the charge is located. However, the individual discussing the problem is unsure
Momentous

Homework Statement

A point charge q is at the center of an uncharged spherical conducting shell, of inner
radius a and outer radius b. How much work would it take to move the charge out to
in nity? (fi nd the minimum work needed. Assume charge can take out through a tiny hole
drilled in the shell. Think about the work you need to assemble the system)

Homework Equations

W = qV
V = ∫E. dl
dl = (r^ dr + θ^ dθ + ϕ^ d ϕ)

The Attempt at a Solution

The overall equation is W = qV. I'm just a little unsure about getting V (q is given).

My guess is that there has to be two integrations for the Voltage inside and outside of the shell. I'm not really too sure about all of that, because isn't the Voltage in a conductor always constant.

So is it possible V = (V(out) + V(in)) = (V(out) + C) where C is just some arbitrary constant. Or can you actually find the constant value of that voltage with the information given?

Physics news on Phys.org
Momentous said:

Homework Statement

A point charge q is at the center of an uncharged spherical conducting shell, of inner
radius a and outer radius b. How much work would it take to move the charge out to
in nity? (fi nd the minimum work needed. Assume charge can take out through a tiny hole
drilled in the shell. Think about the work you need to assemble the system)

Homework Equations

W = qV
V = ∫E. dl
dl = (r^ dr + θ^ dθ + ϕ^ d ϕ)

The Attempt at a Solution

The overall equation is W = qV. I'm just a little unsure about getting V (q is given).

My guess is that there has to be two integrations for the Voltage inside and outside of the shell. I'm not really too sure about all of that, because isn't the Voltage in a conductor always constant.

So is it possible V = (V(out) + V(in)) = (V(out) + C) where C is just some arbitrary constant. Or can you actually find the constant value of that voltage with the information given?

I would think about using your E.dl form instead. To find E at the point where the charge is use the method of image charges. Have you covered that topic?

I can't say that I know what that method is. Isn't my method using the E.dl form?

Related to Moving a point charge out of a cavity in a conductor

What is a point charge?

A point charge is a hypothetical charge that is considered to be infinitely small in size and has a non-zero value of electric charge.

What is a cavity in a conductor?

A cavity in a conductor is a void or empty space within a conductor material, such as metal, that does not contain any conducting material. This can occur naturally or can be intentionally created for experimental purposes.

Why is it important to move a point charge out of a cavity in a conductor?

Moving a point charge out of a cavity in a conductor allows for the study of how electric charges behave within the conductor material. It also helps in understanding the effects of electric fields on conductors and the interaction between charges and conductors.

What are the potential risks of moving a point charge out of a cavity in a conductor?

There may be a risk of damaging the conductor material, disrupting any ongoing experiments, or causing harm to the operator if proper safety measures are not taken.

How is a point charge moved out of a cavity in a conductor?

This can be achieved by using specialized equipment, such as a charged particle accelerator, to move the point charge out of the cavity. The charge can also be moved manually by using a conductive probe or by creating a potential difference between the cavity and the point charge.