Motor in a pulley system with weight help (Sort of a dynamics problem)

In summary, at the instant shown, the velocity of the cable is increasing at the rate of 6m/s^2. If the motor operates with an efficiency of .8, then the power input is 5,925 W.
emzee1

Homework Statement

At the instant shown, point P on the cable has a velocity 12 m/s, which is
increasing at the rate of 6m/s^2. Determine the power input of motor M at this
instant if it operates with an efficiency of 0.8. The mass of the block A is 50kg. I've attached a picture of the problem.

Homework Equations

F=ma
Power = F*v (F=force, v=velocity)

The Attempt at a Solution

All I did was make an attempt at drawing free-body diagrams. For the block A of 50kg, I did:

2T-mg=ma; 2T-50(g)=50(6); T= 395 N

Then for point P, I assumed 395 = force of the motor, and thus:
395(12)= 4,740
Input Power = (4,740/.8) = 5,925 W

This is wrong obviously, and was hoping if someone could help me out on where I'm going wrong.

Attachments

• problem 1.png
    problem 1.png
    8.8 KB · Views: 611
Physics news on Phys.org
Think a bit more about the acceleration of block A. Are you sure it's the same as the acceleration of point P?

Well, reviewing some previous examples, it doesn't. How do I go about solving for the acceleration for block A, and does it matter for the overall problem? Because I can't solve the following equation:

2T-mg = ma; as I do not know T nor a
and I'm not entirely positive about the free-body diagram at point P other than Force of motor pointing downwards, and Tension pointing upwards (i.e what does that equal to?).

deleting my post.

Last edited:
You can get the acceleration of block A in terms of the acceleration of point P. First consider displacements. If point P moves 1 m down, how far does block A go up?
[P.S. You won't need a free-body diagram for point P. You already have the correct equation for block A: 2T-mg = ma.]

azizlwl said:
Let me try.

W=Fv
F-mg/2=ma
W=(ma+mg/2)v.

That is incorrect unfortunately. I've tried that also. The answer given is that the Power input should be 4803.75 W.

Solving your way does not give that answer (.8 = Power_input/Power_output).

Once you get the correct acceleration for block A, you will get the correct answer by repeating your original calculation.

I'm really bad with multiple pulley-systems. Because there are 2 pulleys, is the acceleration just for block A just 1/2 of that at point P?

emzee1 said:
That is incorrect unfortunately. I've tried that also. The answer given is that the Power input should be 4803.75 W.

Solving your way does not give that answer (.8 = Power_input/Power_output).

Yes I've done it wrongly by taking point P as reference.

Last edited:
Yes, block A has 1/2 the acceleration of P. Try to imagine what would happen if you used your hand to lift block A and its pulley by 0.5 m. That would leave 1.0 m of slack in the string due to there being string on both sides of the pulley connected to A. So, point P would need to travel 1.0 m down to take out the slack. So, P always moves twice as far as A. Thus P is always moving twice as fast as A. Hence, during any time interval, the change in speed of P is always twice the change in speed of A. Therefore, the acceleration of P is twice the acceleration of A.

So the acceleration of block A would be 3 m/s^2 ?

Putting this into the equation: 2T-mg=ma; where m=50kg and a = 3m/s^2, solving for T gets me 320 N.

P_input = 320(12), and solving for P_ouput; ((320(12)/.8)=4800W.

Did I do everything correctly? Because the answer given is 4,803.75W...

Try g = 9.81 m/s^2 rather than 9.8

TSny said:
Try g = 9.81 m/s^2 rather than 9.8

Thank you so very much! Cleared up a lot of confusion for me!

Good work, emzee1.

Related to Motor in a pulley system with weight help (Sort of a dynamics problem)

1. How does a pulley system with weight help in a motor?

A pulley system with weight can help a motor in several ways. First, the weight of the object being lifted or moved is distributed across multiple pulleys, reducing the load on the motor. Second, the weight helps to counteract friction and improve the efficiency of the system. Finally, the weight can also help to increase the torque and power output of the motor, allowing it to lift heavier loads.

2. What is the role of the motor in a pulley system with weight?

The motor is responsible for providing the energy and power needed to lift or move the weight in the pulley system. It converts electrical energy into mechanical energy, which is used to turn the pulleys and lift the weight. The motor also helps to maintain tension in the system, ensuring that the weight does not fall or slip.

3. How does the weight affect the motion of the pulley system?

The weight being lifted or moved in a pulley system can affect its motion in several ways. First, it determines the amount of force and torque needed from the motor to lift the weight. Second, it can affect the speed and acceleration of the system, as a heavier weight will require more energy to move. Finally, the weight can also affect the tension in the system, which can impact its stability and efficiency.

4. What are the factors that determine the efficiency of a pulley system with weight?

The efficiency of a pulley system with weight depends on several factors, including the number and type of pulleys used, the weight being lifted, and the power and torque of the motor. Other factors that can affect efficiency include friction in the system, the length and thickness of the ropes or cables, and the angle of the pulleys. Generally, a well-designed system with fewer pulleys and less friction will be more efficient.

5. Are there any safety considerations to keep in mind when using a pulley system with weight and a motor?

Yes, there are several safety considerations to keep in mind when using a pulley system with weight and a motor. First, it is important to ensure that the weight being lifted does not exceed the weight limit of the pulley system and motor. It is also essential to regularly check and maintain the system to prevent any malfunctions or accidents. Additionally, proper safety gear, such as gloves and goggles, should be worn when handling heavy weights or operating the motor.