Motion of Charged Particles in Field Uniform B-field E=0

In summary, the conversation revolves around understanding the concept of perpendicular velocity and its relevance in calculating the Larmor Radius for a uniform B field with E=0. The person is trying to find a way to calculate perpendicular velocity without using rL and omega, and is considering using cross and dot products. They also mention being in AP Calculus and Physics C AP, and needing to learn new math and physics concepts for a science research project in a limited amount of time.
Eri ep
Hello!

So I've been working on proving to myself different parts of https://ocw.mit.edu/courses/nuclear...a-physics-i-fall-2003/lecture-notes/chap2.pdf packet for several weeks.

Under 2.1 Uniform B field, E=0, for the Larmor Radius, I need to know perpendicular v, but I want to figure it out in terms of anything except rL and omega.

I'm especially wondering what "perpendicular velocity" would mean and how to find it. I was thinking about cross products and dot products, but what would I cross with the velocity? I also don't know any angles, because right now I have no data- I'm just trying to do theoretical and trying to avoid angles.

It's late at night, thank you for helping me!

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi! I also wanted to say that I'm in AP Calculus right now, and in Physics C AP. This is for my science research project, so I'm willing to put in the time and effort to learn math/physics that I don't know yet, although I am in a really big time crunch.

Related to Motion of Charged Particles in Field Uniform B-field E=0

1. How does the motion of a charged particle change in a uniform magnetic field with zero electric field?

In a uniform magnetic field with zero electric field, a charged particle will move in a circular path with a constant speed. This is because the magnetic force on the particle is always perpendicular to its velocity, causing it to continuously change direction but not speed.

2. What factors affect the radius of the circular path in a uniform magnetic field with zero electric field?

The radius of the circular path depends on the mass and charge of the particle, as well as the strength of the magnetic field. A heavier or more highly charged particle will have a larger radius, while a stronger magnetic field will result in a smaller radius.

3. Can a charged particle have a straight-line motion in a uniform magnetic field with zero electric field?

No, a charged particle cannot have a straight-line motion in a uniform magnetic field with zero electric field. This is because the magnetic force will always act perpendicular to the particle's velocity, causing it to continuously change direction.

4. How does the speed of a charged particle affect its motion in a uniform magnetic field with zero electric field?

The speed of a charged particle does not affect its motion in a uniform magnetic field with zero electric field. As long as the magnetic field remains constant, the particle will continue to move in a circular path with the same radius, regardless of its speed.

5. What is the relationship between the period of a charged particle's motion and the strength of the uniform magnetic field with zero electric field?

The period, or time it takes for a charged particle to complete one full revolution, is inversely proportional to the strength of the magnetic field. This means that a stronger magnetic field will result in a shorter period, and vice versa.