Motion in a Magnetic Field Radius

In summary, the conversation discusses a proton entering a region with a constant magnetic field and leaving with a velocity vector. The goal is to find the radius of the circular path the proton travels in. The equation R=mv/qB is used, but without the value of the magnetic field, more equations are needed. The Larmor radius is mentioned and eventually, by connecting the entry and exit points with a straight line and arc, the equation sinθ=D/R is used to solve for the radius. A diagram is also provided for reference.
darwin59
A proton (q = 1.6 X 10-19 C, m = 1.67 X 10-27 kg) moving with constant velocity enters a region containing a constant magnetic field that is directed along the z-axis at (x.,y) = (0,0) as shown. The magnetic field extends for a distance D = 0.7 m in the x-direction. The proton leaves the field having a velocity vector (vx, vy) = (2.2 X 105 m/s, 1.4 X 105 m/s).

http://www.smartphysics.com/images/content/EM/12/h12_bendtheta.png

I have the velocity, but I can't figure out the radius without the magnetic field. Help?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
darwin59 said:
A proton (q = 1.6 X 10-19 C, m = 1.67 X 10-27 kg) moving with constant velocity enters a region containing a constant magnetic field that is directed along the z-axis at (x.,y) = (0,0) as shown. The magnetic field extends for a distance D = 0.7 m in the x-direction. The proton leaves the field having a velocity vector (vx, vy) = (2.2 X 105 m/s, 1.4 X 105 m/s).

http://www.smartphysics.com/images/content/EM/12/h12_bendtheta.png

I have the velocity, but I can't figure out the radius without the magnetic field. Help?

The radius will connect the input and output vectors. Can you show all of your work so far?

Last edited by a moderator:
I know that the proton will move in a circle since the velocity is perpendicular to the field, which I figured to be in the negative z direction. I used the components of the velocity to determine that the angle the proton leaves the field is about 32.55 degrees, which is also the angle from input to output. I have the equation for the radius of the circle being R=mv/qB, where m is the mass of the proton, v is its velocity, q is its charge, and B is the field strength.

darwin59 said:
I know that the proton will move in a circle since the velocity is perpendicular to the field, which I figured to be in the negative z direction. I used the components of the velocity to determine that the angle the proton leaves the field is about 32.55 degrees, which is also the angle from input to output. I have the equation for the radius of the circle being R=mv/qB, where m is the mass of the proton, v is its velocity, q is its charge, and B is the field strength.

So both velocity vectors are tangent to that circular path. the input vector position at the origin gives you one point on the circle, and the other point is at the exit at (D,h). Use the fact that the output velocity vector has to be tangent to the circular path to give you more equations to solve the problem.

berkeman said:
So both velocity vectors are tangent to that circular path. the input vector position at the origin gives you one point on the circle, and the other point is at the exit at (D,h). Use the fact that the output velocity vector has to be tangent to the circular path to give you more equations to solve the problem.

I'm having serious problems with this one. I can't seem to get equations that will help me out. All I've gotten is that the vector equation is <2.61e5*cosθ, 2.61e5*sinθ>. There's the circle equation, x[itex]^{2}[/itex] + y[itex]^{2}[/itex] = R[itex]^{2}[/itex]. There's the force equation, F=[itex]\frac{mv^{2}}{R}[/itex]. There's also s=Rθ, but I can't figure out s to solve for R. However, none of these get me anywhere, and I'm positive they are not what you are referring to.

Nevermind, I got it! I don't know if it was the correct method, but I used the equation sinθ=D/R.

darwin59 said:
Nevermind, I got it! I don't know if it was the correct method, but I used the equation sinθ=D/R.

Can someone please explain how to arrive at this equation for R?

berkeman said:
Are you familiar with the Larmor radius?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Larmor_radius

Yes r=m*v/q*B but in this case the value of the magnetic field is not given. I understand that the path is an arc from the entry to exit point but do not know how to arrive at an equation for the radius of curvature of this path.

berkeman said:
Are you familiar with the Larmor radius?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Larmor_radius

drawing lines perpendicular to the velocity vectors and noticing that the radius of this curvature lies on the yaxis, you can then connect the exit and entry points with both a straight line and an arc. You need to find the angle at the top of this isosceles triangle in order to be able to find the length of the arc??

bussek327 said:
Yes r=m*v/q*B but in this case the value of the magnetic field is not given. I understand that the path is an arc from the entry to exit point but do not know how to arrive at an equation for the radius of curvature of this path.

Well it's been 9 months since any posts in this thread, and the diagram link in the OP no longer works. Do you have a diagram for your problem?

The key was to remember that the velocity vector is always tangent to the circular path of the charged particle, IIRC. That gives you the extra equation that you need to solve it...

berkeman said:
Well it's been 9 months since any posts in this thread, and the diagram link in the OP no longer works. Do you have a diagram for your problem?

The key was to remember that the velocity vector is always tangent to the circular path of the charged particle, IIRC. That gives you the extra equation that you need to solve it...

Diagram is attached.

Attachments

• h12_bendtheta.png
    h12_bendtheta.png
    1.1 KB · Views: 507
bussek327 said:
Diagram is attached.

So you should be able to figure out the radius...

Related to Motion in a Magnetic Field Radius

1. What is motion in a magnetic field radius?

Motion in a magnetic field radius refers to the circular path that a charged particle follows when it moves through a magnetic field. The radius of this path is determined by the strength of the magnetic field, the speed of the particle, and the mass and charge of the particle.

2. How does a magnetic field affect the motion of a charged particle?

A magnetic field exerts a force on a charged particle that is moving through it. This force is perpendicular to both the direction of the particle's velocity and the direction of the magnetic field. As a result, the particle's motion will be curved, following a circular path.

3. What is the equation for calculating the radius of motion in a magnetic field?

The equation for calculating the radius of motion in a magnetic field is r = mv/qB, where r is the radius, m is the mass of the particle, v is its velocity, q is its charge, and B is the strength of the magnetic field.

4. How does the speed of the charged particle affect its motion in a magnetic field?

The speed of the charged particle affects the radius of its motion in a magnetic field. The faster the particle is moving, the larger the radius of its path will be. This is because the force exerted by the magnetic field is proportional to the particle's speed, and a larger force results in a larger radius of motion.

5. Can the direction of motion in a magnetic field be changed?

Yes, the direction of motion in a magnetic field can be changed by altering the strength or direction of the magnetic field, or by changing the speed or charge of the particle. This can result in the particle following a larger or smaller radius path, or even reversing its direction of motion.