Motion in 2D: Find Which Ball Hits Circle First?

In summary: A) and mgcos(αB). What are xA and xB then ?xA and xB are the distance traveled by balls A and B, respectively. They can be calculated using the equation X = 1/2(a)(t^2).
lmao2plates

Homework Statement

Two balls A and B simultaneously start to roll down without friction along
two different chords of a circle as shown in the figure. Find which ball will
hit the circle first? (image attached)

2. The attempt at a solution
I have divided the velocity of the balls into vector components, for A being mgcos(αA) and B being mgcos(αB).
Since αA > αB, and being in the first quadrant of the unit circle, I have concluded that mgcos(αA) < mgcos(αB).

However, I am stuck at how to determine which one will hit the circle first since B has to travel a longer distance that A.

I appreciate your assistance.

Attachments

• Physics problem.png
    Physics problem.png
    51.4 KB · Views: 491
Physics news on Phys.org
First of all: mgcos(αA) is not a velocity but a force (check the dimensions) !

Then: as a helper, I am used to finding the relevant equations that are needed to solve the problem listed under 2). Relevant equations. What do you have available to deal with this problem?

Under 3). attempt at solution, we then look for clues as to what is preventing the poster to proceed. You state why you are stuck, but is it because you can't calculate how long the trajectories are ?

A few hints:
mgcos(αA) looks like it is independent of time, so you have a constant force. What releveant equation can you use to show that the equations for constant acceleration apply here ? What are these equations ?
Is there anything else (apart from the trajectory lengths) that you need ?

Ahhh. Thanks for correcting me, it is indeed a force.

So the only constant acceleration equation that is independent from time is v2 = v20 + 2ax

I will continue from here and update on my progress.

Thank you.

So the only constant acceleration equation that is independent from time
Looks as if you are going the wrong way. I mean: the acceleration is constant. The motion does involve time (after all they want to know which one arrives first).
With constant acceleration, linear motion can be described with which equations ?

Relevant equations:

1) V=V0 + at

2) X=X0 + V0*t + 1/2a(t2)

3) X=X0 + 1/2(V + V0)t

4) V2=V02+2a(X - X0)

How should I work with this?

Haha. recipe for success:
1 .Discard the ones you don't expect you to give a good answer.
2. Then pick the one for which you have what's needed and thaty you eexpect to give you the desired result.
3. Go to work
4. If succesful, done; if not go back to step 2. If all exhausted, go back to step 1.
5. If all exhausted and still not succesful, expand collection of relevant equations.
All this of course after having
1.) clearly stated the problem and listed all the variables and given/known data (with the correct units)

More seriously:
what do you think of your number 1) ? I think ít has nothing on X
what do you think of your number 2) ? Anything in there you don't know ? What are all the variables, precisely?
what do you think of your number 3) ? I think ít has nothing on a (and it is about some average speed, which is not very useful here) Where does it come from ? This is one that I suspect isn't applicable here...
what do you think of your number 4) ? Where does it come from ? I think ít has nothing on t, so it won't tell us which one got there first !

So using 2)

for both balls it becomes:

X = 0 + 0(t) + 1/2(a)(t^2)
X = 1/2(a)(t^2)
t^2 = X/(1/2a)

Since XA < XB and aA < aB ...

It seems like I have hit another sticking point.

Write out what xA and xB are

As I asked "write out all the variables, precisely". You already have aA and aB

Related to Motion in 2D: Find Which Ball Hits Circle First?

1. How is motion in 2D different from motion in 1D?

Motion in 2D involves movement in two dimensions, typically represented by the x and y axes. In contrast, motion in 1D only involves movement along a single axis, usually the x-axis. This means that in 2D motion, an object's position is described by two coordinates, while in 1D motion, it is described by just one coordinate.

2. What is the significance of finding which ball hits a circle first in 2D motion?

This question is typically asked in the context of physics experiments or simulations. In these cases, determining which ball hits a circle first can provide valuable information about the speed, direction, and trajectory of the balls. It can also help to understand the behavior of objects in 2D motion and make predictions about future events.

3. How do you calculate the time of collision between a ball and a circle in 2D motion?

The time of collision can be calculated using equations of motion and the principles of kinematics. The specific calculations will depend on the initial velocities, positions, and radii of the objects involved. It is important to also consider factors such as acceleration, friction, and air resistance in the calculations.

4. Are there any real-world applications for understanding motion in 2D?

Yes, there are many applications of understanding motion in 2D, including in sports, video games, robotics, and transportation. For example, understanding the trajectory of a soccer ball in 2D can help a player make a successful goal, while understanding the motion of a robotic arm in 2D can help it perform precise movements.

5. What are some common misconceptions about motion in 2D?

One common misconception is that objects in 2D motion always follow a straight path. In reality, objects can also move in curved paths, such as in circular motion or projectile motion. Another misconception is that the x and y axes are the only dimensions that matter in 2D motion. In fact, there can be other dimensions involved, such as time or depth, depending on the specific situation.