Motion in 1D under a resistive force

In summary, motion in 1D under a resistive force involves the movement of an object in one direction while experiencing a force that opposes its motion, such as friction, air resistance, or drag. The equation for calculating the resistive force is F = -bv, where F is the resistive force, b is the coefficient of resistive force, and v is the velocity of the object. The resistive force acts in the opposite direction of the object's motion, slowing it down and eventually bringing it to a stop. Resistive force is a more general term that encompasses all forces that oppose motion, while friction specifically refers to the force between two surfaces in contact. The resistive force can be reduced by decreasing the coefficient of resist
pleasemindthe

Homework Statement

A particle moving on a straight line is subject to a resistive force of the magnitude kv^n, where v is the velocity at time t and k is a positive real constant.

Find the times and distances at which the particle comes to rest i.e. v=0, for the following cases (this assumes at t=0, x=0, v=v0.)

n<1 ?
1<n<2 ?
n=2 ?

Homework Equations

F=ma

The Attempt at a Solution

I've tried by getting two equations, one for time and one for distance.

So I set F=ma= m(dv/dt) = -kv^n for time
and F = ma = mv(dv/dx) = -kv^n for distance

I then plodded along, and took v=0 to get two similar equations for time and distance...

(m*v0^(1-n)) / (k (1-n)) = t and
(m*v0^(2-n)) / (k (2-n)) = x

but I'm not sure if that's at all right! They'd be fine for n<1, but the time one screws up for 1<n<2 and the distance is special for n=2.

Basically I'm not sure I've gone the right way at all... I think I need an e^f(t) so I can take limits but I've just got my head in a muddle.

Physics news on Phys.org

Your approach is on the right track, but there are a few things that need clarification.

Firstly, your equations for time and distance are not quite correct. For time, you should have:

t = (1/k)∫(v0 - v)^-n dt

And for distance:

x = (1/k)∫(v0 - v)^-n v dt

You can use integration by parts to solve these integrals, which will give you a general solution for t and x in terms of v0 and n.

Secondly, your equations are actually fine for all values of n. If you take the limit as n approaches 1 or 2, you will find that the equations still hold.

Finally, you are correct in thinking that you need an exponential function in order to take limits as n approaches 1 or 2. To do this, you can use the fact that:

lim x→1 (1 - x)^-1 = e

lim x→2 (1 - x)^-2 = e^2

By using these limits in your equations for time and distance, you can get solutions that are valid for all values of n, including 1 and 2.

I hope this helps. Good luck with your problem!

Related to Motion in 1D under a resistive force

What is motion in 1D under a resistive force?

Motion in 1D under a resistive force is the movement of an object in one direction (1D) while experiencing a force that opposes its motion. This force is known as a resistive force and can be caused by factors such as friction, air resistance, or drag.

What is the equation for calculating the resistive force?

The equation for calculating the resistive force is F = -bv, where F is the resistive force, b is the coefficient of resistive force, and v is the velocity of the object.

How does the resistive force affect the motion of an object?

The resistive force acts in the opposite direction of the object's motion, slowing it down and eventually bringing it to a stop. The greater the resistive force, the faster the object will decelerate.

What is the difference between resistive force and friction?

Resistive force is a more general term that encompasses all forces that oppose motion, while friction specifically refers to the force between two surfaces in contact. Friction is just one type of resistive force that can act on an object.

How can the resistive force be reduced?

The resistive force can be reduced by decreasing the coefficient of resistive force, increasing the object's velocity, or by changing the object's shape to reduce its surface area. Additionally, using lubricants or smooth surfaces can also reduce the resistive force of friction.