Most Significant Scientific Institution in History

In summary, there were several suggestions for the most significant scientific institution of all time, including The Royal Society, the Library of Alexandria, Physics Forums, Caltech, University of Göttingen, CERN, Cambridge University, ISPs, and the United States Government. However, one member mentioned that the most significant institution may be the United States Government, as it sponsored projects that led to the creation of both the internet and nuclear power plants.
quddusaliquddus
What, in your opinion is the most significant scientific institution of all time:

The Royal Society

Library of Alexandria

Etc ...?

Science news on Phys.org
Physics Forums

Caltech!

But maybe I'm a little biased. If I got to suffer through the place for four years, I at least want to feel important!

cookiemonster

Library of Alexandria

For mathematics I would say the University of Göttingen.

Since when did Tsunami get two votes?

cookiemonster

cookiemonster said:
Since when did Tsunami get two votes?

cookiemonster
:biggrin: Well, hot banana. I guess I really RATE! :wink: :biggrin:
(Sorry, I was dealing with a rented finger, I guess. I'll delete one of them.)

OK. It's deleted. Can I have a cookie now? :biggrin:

Of course not. I already ate them all. Just who do you think I am? "Leave behind a cookie," yeah, right... Sheesh.

cookiemonster

cookiemonster said:
Of course not. I already ate them all. Just who do you think I am? "Leave behind a cookie," yeah, right... Sheesh.

cookiemonster
Jeez. Yer MEAN! :mad: (I'd eat my own cookie but I gave it to Ivan earlier.)

Sorry. It's just my nature...

cookiemonster

Cambridge (England) University.

ISPs for everything there is online

cookiemonster said:
Sorry. It's just my nature...

cookiemonster
I've noticed...

Excuse me. I've been baking copious amount of cookies in the last couple of hours. They're ready to eat now. Yum! :wink: Big chewy chocolate chocolate chip cookies, white chocolate/macadamia nut cookies, oatmeal/mandarin orange cookies... *pours big glass of milk...* all RIGHT... *sighs and smiles - chomp, gulp* oooooooooo... mmmmmm...good...

Bye.

Man... they should make a anime version of a anti cookie monster. Like Godzilla and Kingkong... So you have like Sushi monster in japan vs. Cookie monster in USA, the dual between Tokyo Avenue and Sesame street.

Tsunami said:
I've noticed...

Excuse me. I've been baking copious amount of cookies in the last couple of hours. They're ready to eat now. Yum! :wink: Big chewy chocolate chocolate chip cookies, white chocolate/macadamia nut cookies, oatmeal/mandarin orange cookies... *pours big glass of milk...* all RIGHT... *sighs and smiles - chomp, gulp* oooooooooo... mmmmmm...good...

Bye.
HEY! I didn't get any cookies...or milk... :mad: :cry:

Evo said:
HEY! I didn't get any cookies...or milk... :mad: :cry:

Oh, look, Evo - there's still some crumbs on the plate! I'll split 'em with ya!
:-p
Next time double the recipe, Tsu! :smile:

See, this is what trying to be mean gets you. =]

cookiemonster

Btw, I like M&Ms more, actually...

United States Government.
Both the internet and the first nuclear bomb were created by US government sponsored projects. The nuclear bomb may be a bad thing but it lead to the creation of nuclear power plants; one of the most environmentally clean sources of power.

ShawnD - didn't think of it like that. I agree.

Related to Most Significant Scientific Institution in History

What is the most significant scientific institution in history?

The most significant scientific institution in history is a difficult question to answer definitively, as there have been many institutions that have made significant contributions to various fields of science. However, some of the most commonly cited institutions include the Royal Society, the National Academy of Sciences, and CERN.

What makes a scientific institution significant?

A scientific institution can be considered significant based on a variety of factors, such as the impact of its research, the number of Nobel Prizes awarded to its members, the advancement of scientific knowledge and technology, and its overall influence on the scientific community.

How has the most significant scientific institution in history impacted the world?

The impact of the most significant scientific institution in history can be seen in many aspects of our daily lives. For example, institutions like the Royal Society have played a crucial role in advancing our understanding of natural phenomena and developing technologies that have greatly improved our quality of life. Additionally, institutions like CERN have led to groundbreaking discoveries in particle physics that have revolutionized our understanding of the universe.

What role do scientific institutions play in society?

Scientific institutions play a critical role in society by fostering the advancement of scientific knowledge and promoting collaboration among scientists. They also serve as a platform for sharing research findings and promoting scientific literacy among the general public.

How do scientific institutions continue to stay relevant and significant?

Scientific institutions stay relevant and significant by constantly evolving and adapting to the changing needs and challenges of the scientific community. This may include investing in new technologies, promoting diversity and inclusivity, and fostering interdisciplinary collaborations to tackle complex scientific problems.