Most effective way to pinch a rubber tube?

• Thread starter WouterWouter
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Rubber Tube
In summary, the conversation is about finding the most effective shape for pinching a rubber tube with the least amount of force. The individual is seeking advice on whether to use a flat, curved, or knife-edged pinch, as well as the appropriate thickness for the tube. They also mention a possible reference to a book or website for further information. Various solutions are suggested, such as using rubber caps, silicone sealant, clamps, and disposable plastic hemostats.
WouterWouter
Hello,

I am looking for the most effective shape to pinch a rubber tube. The most effective shape requires the least force.

Given a tube of certain diameter/thickness, I want to know whether I should use a flat, curved, knife edged or whatever type of pinch and what thickness it should have.

A reference to a good book or site about this is also welcome!

Wouter

Engineering news on Phys.org
vise grips

Ranger Mike said:
vise grips

:smile: A temporary, but very effective approach. It serves the same purpose as a make-shift vasectomy, but you don't want to even think about the pain...
Wouter (I'm not going to repeat myself), what is the reasoning for capping these things off? Are you trying to maintain internal pressure, or nullify external pressure? My approach has always been to just buy a $.03 rubber cap and snug it down over the tube if it's a low pressure or vacuum situation. For higher pressure, squirt some silicone sealant into the end of the hose and clamp it shut with Vise-Grips until it's dry (give it at least 2 days).

I'm picturing a inner tube for a bicycle tire or something similar...

Try 2 pieces of wood, like 1x2's or 2x4's cut them a couple inches long depending on how wide your tube is and clamp one on each side of the tube with carpentry clamps. Not permanent or pretty but effective.

Hire an elephant to stand on it.:biggrin:

disposable blue plastic hemostats, for soft tubing under .5" diameter, liquid or air. You won't beat the speed, price, and effectiveness.

They have a flat bearing surface, which slopes down to a wider base as a main thickness of each blade part of the hemostat.

Related to Most effective way to pinch a rubber tube?

1. What is the purpose of pinching a rubber tube?

The purpose of pinching a rubber tube is to temporarily stop the flow of liquid or gas through the tube. This can be useful in experiments or when working with fluids that need to be controlled.

2. Is there a specific technique for pinching a rubber tube?

There are a few different techniques for pinching a rubber tube, but the most effective and commonly used method is to use your thumb and index finger to pinch the tube together, creating a seal. You can also use clamps or specialized pinch valves for more precise control.

3. How tightly should the tube be pinched?

The tightness of the pinch depends on the type of liquid or gas being transferred through the tube and the pressure at which it is being transferred. In general, the tube should be pinched tightly enough to stop the flow, but not so tightly that it damages the tube or creates a complete blockage.

4. Can pinching a rubber tube affect the accuracy of measurements?

Yes, pinching a rubber tube can affect the accuracy of measurements, especially if the pressure or flow rate is not consistent. It is important to carefully control the pinch and make sure it is not altering the pressure or flow in the tube.

5. Are there any safety precautions to take when pinching a rubber tube?

Yes, it is important to be cautious when pinching a rubber tube, especially if the liquid or gas being transferred is hazardous. Make sure to wear appropriate protective gear, such as gloves, and avoid over-tightening the pinch to prevent any potential accidents or spills.