Most amazing fight scene in a movie ever

• Thread starter gravenewworld
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Movie
In summary, this scene uses absolutely 0 cut away shots and almost no CGI effects the entire time. The director calls this "the most dangerous long take scene ever." A 4 minute stedicam shot featuring a variety of martial arts. The crew spent over 1 month preparing and choreographing before they were able to get a perfect shot. When it came time to shoot, they could only do 2 takes per day because of the set repairing and prop replacement that needed to be done. It took 5 takes to get it right. A foreign cameraman was needed because the stedicam mount was built for american / european operators who are typically much larger than asian operators. The foreign operator they hired could only do two
gravenewworld
http://youtube.com/watch?v=K06wDn3XsZE&mode=related&search=

Just remember that this scene uses absolutely 0 cut away shots and almost no CGI effects the entire time. I thought it was an awesome scene.

here are some interesting comments from the director about this scene:

The director calls this "the most dangerous long take scene ever." A 4 minute stedicam shot featuring a variety of martial arts.

The crew spent over 1 month preparing and choreographing before they were able to get a perfect shot. When it came time to shoot, they could only do 2 takes per day because of the set repairing and prop replacement that needed to be done. It took 5 takes to get it right. A foreign cameraman was needed because the stedicam mount was built for american / european operators who are typically much larger than asian operators.

The foreign operator they hired could only do two flights of stairs at a time and simply gave up. They decided to use a Thai stedicam operator who physically prepared for a month for this job.

The reason the shot is 4 minutes is because reels of 35mm film are only about 4 min in length.

They shot the first take which had a number of problems with stuntmen cues, and even a stuntman bumping into the stedicam operator. After choreographing more dynamic action, an increase of extras and improving the set, the next take they did was 17 days after the first take.

The second take was better but when the stuntman was supposed to be thrown from the 3rd story, the safety mattress was not completely in place yet so Tony Jaa stopped the shot and saved the stuntman's life.

The third take was just about perfect but just before Tony Jaa was supposed to bust through the last doorway, the film ran out. The director finally decided that instead of simply cutting there, they would try again for perfection.

They thought the fourth take was perfect but after review there were some parts that weren't as good as the pervious takes. They decided on one more try.

On the fifth try, it was almost perfect. But there were 2 miscues. On the 2nd floor, Tony Jaa slams a door into the head of a stuntman and the small glass window on the door was supposed to break. It failed to do so, so they used CGI to fix this. The 2nd issue was the fight just before the sink gets thrown. The timing was off as planned but the end result looked natural so they decided this was the take to use in the final film.

Physics news on Phys.org
robphy said:
That was great!
It's certainly much better than http://youtube.com/watch?v=NKoLFusNCCI

hahaha I haven't laughed that hard in a while. ahaha thanks

Impressive really. Although did anyone think he could of just booked a table, and then moved over to talk to the guy and asked him a question? Well that wouldn't of been much fun, but hehe. :biggrin:

I watched the scene first then read the quote, I was thinking all the way through how much planing that must of took, it's like a dance performance, you literally would have to choreograph it so well to make it work. It's a stand alone piece that I would watch again.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=uIOI_CQJ9MM

I like this fight scene, it's more gritty, Bourne Identity, but it has none of the artistry of yours. It's just brutal and frankly it shows how much damage people who have no consideration to death or breaking bones can do. A biro very innovative...

Last edited:
That sucked. Sorry.

Lets all just stand around and throw big wide punches so that you can block us and break our arms...mmmmmmmHHMMMMMMMM. :rolleyes:

cyrusabdollahi said:
That sucked. Sorry.

Lets all just stand around and throw big wide punches so that you can block us and break our arms...mmmmmmmHHMMMMMMMM. :rolleyes:
It's a movie, i.e. for entertainment. you know?maybe you would like the infamous "hammer fight scene" from the south korean film old boy better. It also uses 0 cut away shots. (expletives warning)

Last edited by a moderator:
Leader: "OK boys, let's go over it again. How were we supposed to attack?"
all (dejectedly): "all at once."
Leader: "Right, and how did we just do it?"
all : "one at a time."

Schrodinger's Dog said:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=uIOI_CQJ9MM

I like this fight scene, it's more gritty, Bourne Identity, but it has none of the artistry of yours. It's just brutal and frankly it shows how much damage people who have no consideration to death or breaking bones can do. A biro very innovative...

Dude if you want to see some brutality and tons of bone breaking check out this one. Make sure you have the volume on for this one so you can hear all the crunching. I think he must have broken about 200 bones in this clip in another Tony Jaa scene-

robphy said:
That was great!
It's certainly much better than http://youtube.com/watch?v=NKoLFusNCCI

oh Damn! that's the best boss death i have ever seen in my life! the way he gets picked up by his eye socket and Carried away is way better then death by helicopter blades

gravenewworld said:
It's a movie, i.e. for entertainment. you know?

maybe you would like the infamous "hammer fight scene" from the south korean film old boy better. It also uses 0 cut away shots. (expletives warning)

Again, ehhhhhhhh? I find this to be mindless entertainment. If you want a good fight scene go watch the movie ALI when he fights in Africa at the very end. I find this to be just pointless hi-ya, kick kick, karate chop nonsense. At least Ali is based on a real story, and they tried to make the fights just like the real ones in terms of his moves etc. Its ok in small amounts like the Matrix. But 4 mins of this is zzzzzzzZZZZZZZZzz.

gravenewworld said:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=K06wDn3XsZE&mode=related&search=

Just remember that this scene uses absolutely 0 cut away shots and almost no CGI effects the entire time. I thought it was an awesome scene.

here are some interesting comments from the director about this scene:

I remember when I saw that movie that scene just blew my mind. The movies itself ain't the greatest... just something mindless to defrag to. but that fight scene is mind blowing. I don't want to know the amount of planning that went into it.

http://img405.imageshack.us/img405/3883/chinesexg2.png

Johnny, what are you doing here?!? I told you go 15 South Nanjin Street...this is 15 North Nanjin Street!

Huh? Ohhhh...

star trek fight scene

Here's a fight scene with some style!

jostpuur said:
Here's a fight scene with some style!

:smile: my god. that was beautiful.

Related to Most amazing fight scene in a movie ever

1. What makes a fight scene the most amazing in a movie?

There are a few key elements that make a fight scene stand out as the most amazing in a movie. These include choreography, camera work, special effects, and the emotional impact on the audience. A great fight scene should also be well-paced and build tension throughout.

2. Which movie has the most amazing fight scene ever?

This is a highly subjective question and can vary depending on personal opinions. Some popular contenders for the most amazing fight scene include The Matrix, Kill Bill, and The Raid.

3. How do filmmakers create realistic fight scenes?

Filmmakers use a combination of choreography, stunt work, and special effects to create realistic fight scenes. They may also use different camera angles and techniques to enhance the action and make it appear more realistic on screen.

4. Can fight scenes be considered a form of art?

Yes, fight scenes can definitely be considered a form of art. Just like any other form of choreography, a great fight scene requires creativity, skill, and precision. It also has the ability to evoke emotions and tell a story through the movements of the actors.

5. How do fight scenes impact the overall movie experience?

Fight scenes can greatly impact the overall movie experience by adding excitement, tension, and entertainment. They can also serve as a way to move the plot forward or showcase the physical abilities of the characters. A well-executed fight scene can leave a lasting impression on the audience and make the movie more memorable.