Money and Inflation: How to Protect Your Finances

In summary, inflation is a slow but steady rise in the cost of goods and services. It is usually a problem for people who are taking out large loans, because the interest on the loans will increase faster than the cost of goods and services. There are a few ways to try to beat inflation, such as investing in a CD or holding onto your money in a bank that is FDIC insured.
mattmns
I am no financial expert, but I keep hearing talk of inflation. Usually I would not care, but since I plan on taking advantage of the government, I thought I should look into it.

So here is the scenario. I will be receiving as much as possible of $17,500 over the next two years in student loans, but I do not plan on spending it. Now my question is: What should I do with my money to make sure it does not lose any value due to inflation? Do banks keep your money up with inflation? How about bonds/securities? Thanks, any help would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
mattmns said:
So here is the scenario. I will be receiving as much as possible of $17,500 over the next two years in student loans, but I do not plan on spending it. Now my question is: What should I do with my money to make sure it does not lose any value due to inflation? Do banks keep your money up with inflation? How about bonds/securities? Thanks, any help would be appreciated.

Assuming you will have to repay the loans, you want to invest the money in something that will appreciate faster than the interest on your loans. A bank account won't do that; the banks MAKE loans, that's how they make money! are they going to pay their depositors more than the themselves will make? How then would they show a profit?

BTW how do you get off being able to treat student loans as capital? Isn't this breaking some law?

I do not plan on paying the loans back, and it is perfectly legal as far as I know. The loans I am going to be taking out will cancel out (not sure of the offical word) after I teach for five years, since I will be teaching math at a title 1 school. Part of the teacher recruitment and retention act of 2003.

I am mainly just looking for something that will stay at the same level as inflation.

Well, about the safest way to just beat inflation is with a CD (certificate of deposit). They are FDIC ensured, so they are as near zero-risk as investment gets (as long as the government doesn't collapse, you'll get the money back). Current rates: http://banking.yahoo.com/res/cdrates.html

Personally, I'd be looking to do better, but that depends a lot on your time horizon for investing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Russ. I plan on investing later in life, but for now I just want to leave college on the plus side with no, or very little, risk.

Year Inflation (from http://www.eh.net/hmit/inflation/ )
--- _ Rate
1990 5.39
1991 4.22
1992 3.01
1993 2.98
1994 2.60
1995 2.76
1996 2.96
1997 2.35
1998 1.51
1999 2.21
2000 3.38
2001 2.86
2002 1.58

From the Census Bureau - "To adjust data for inflation, please use the inflation calculator which is a product of the Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS) (http://www.stats.bls.gov/ ). In the BLS website, under "Inflation & Consumer Spending," click on "Inflation Calculator." This will bring up a small calculation box to enter the dollar amount to inflate. "

http://www.stats.bls.gov/ - look toward the left side toward top.

============

or look at http://www.gpec.org/InfoCenter/Topics/Economy/USInflation.html

============

Basically try to get at least 4-5% APR.

However, bear in mind it has been my general observation that the reason that inflation (the aggregate that is) is low is that wage inflation is generally lower than price inflation for the bottom 70% of income earners (i.e. low and middle class).

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Money and Inflation: How to Protect Your Finances

1. What is inflation and how does it affect my finances?

Inflation is a general increase in the price of goods and services over time. This means that the value of money decreases, and it takes more money to buy the same things. As a result, your purchasing power decreases, and your finances may be impacted by rising prices.

2. How can I protect my finances from inflation?

One way to protect your finances from inflation is to invest in assets that have a higher rate of return than the rate of inflation. This can include stocks, real estate, or precious metals. You can also consider diversifying your investments to mitigate the risks associated with inflation.

3. What is the relationship between inflation and interest rates?

Inflation and interest rates are closely related. When inflation is high, the central bank may increase interest rates to slow down the economy and reduce inflation. On the other hand, when inflation is low, the central bank may lower interest rates to stimulate economic growth.

4. How does inflation impact my savings and retirement funds?

Inflation can have a significant impact on your savings and retirement funds. If the rate of return on your investments is lower than the rate of inflation, your savings may lose value over time. This can also affect your retirement funds, making it important to consider the effects of inflation when planning for your future.

5. Can I protect my finances from inflation through budgeting?

Budgeting can be a helpful tool in managing your finances, but it may not be enough to protect your finances from inflation. While budgeting can help you control your spending and save money, it may not be able to keep up with rising prices. It is important to also consider investing in assets that can provide a higher rate of return to combat inflation.