Momentum Principle. Please help (due in 1 hour 30 minutes)

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a ball being kicked with an initial velocity and finding its y component of velocity at different points in time. The formula used to solve this is the momentum principle and the final velocity is needed to complete the equation. Other questions involve finding the average velocity, maximum height, and time it takes for the ball to reach its highest point.
Clutch

Homework Statement

Part 1:

EDIT: I got part 1. The answers is 11.1m/s can anyone still help me with the others? I got 11.1 by this formula: Vi-(9.8*t)

A ball is kicked from a location on the ground
~ri = <10, 0,−8>m with initial velocity
~vi = <−10, 16,−5> m/s.
The ball’s speed is low enough that air resistance is negligible.
Find the y component of the ball’s velocity
0.5 s after being kicked. (Use the Momentum
Principle!)
Answer in units of m/s

2. In this situation (constant force), which velocity will give the most accurate value for
the location of the ball 0.5 s after it is kicked?
1. The final velocity of the ball
2. The initial velocity of the ball
3. The arithmetic mean of the initial and
final velocities

3. What is the y component of the average velocity (vector) of the ball over this time interval?
Start by finding Vavg,y.
Answer in units of m/s

4. Now use the average velocity to find the y
component of the ball’s position 0.5 s after
being kicked.
Answer in units of m

5. Now consider a different time interval: the interval between the initial kick and the moment when the ball reaches its highest point. We want to find how long it takes for the ball to reach this point, and how high the ball
goes.

What is the y component of the ball’s velocity at the instant when the ball reaches its
highest point (the end of this time interval)?
Answer in units of m/s

6. Consider the expression for the update form
of the momentum principle,
mvf,y = mvi,y + Fnet,y delta(t).
If you were to simplify this expression and
fill in all known quantities with numerical
values, what would you end up with? (Here,
vf,y refers to the y component of the ball’s
velocity at the highest point in its trajectory.)
1. 11.1 m/s = 16 m/s+(−9.8 m/s2) (0.5 s)
2. 0 = 11.1 m/s + (−9.8 m/s2)delta(t)
3. 0 = 16 m/s + (−9.8 m/s2) (0.5 s)
4. 0 = 16 m/s + (−9.8 m/s2)delta(t)
5. 11.1 m/s = 16 m/s + (−9.8 m/s2)delta(t)

7. How long does it take for the ball to reach its highest point?
Answer in units of s

8. Knowing the time you calculated in the previous parts, first find the y component of the
average velocity during this time interval, and then use it to find the maximum height attained by the ball.
Answer in units of m

Homework Equations

p=gamma(m)(v)

Momentum Principle
Pf=Pi +Fnet(delta(T))

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried using the momentum principle but I don't know where to get the final velocity from.

Any help is appreciate. I can't seem to figure out how to do this multiple question problem. It is due in about a 1 hour and 30 minutes. So please help me out if you know anyway to figure out how to do this.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
EDIT: I got part 1. The answers is 11.1m/s can anyone still help me with the others? I got 11.1 by this formula: Vi-(9.8*t)

Related to Momentum Principle. Please help (due in 1 hour 30 minutes)

1. What is the Momentum Principle?

The Momentum Principle, also known as the Law of Conservation of Momentum, states that the total momentum of a system remains constant unless acted upon by an external force.

2. How is momentum calculated?

Momentum is calculated by multiplying an object's mass by its velocity. The formula for momentum is p = mv, where p is momentum, m is mass, and v is velocity.

3. How does momentum affect motion?

Momentum is a measure of an object's motion and is directly related to its mass and velocity. A larger mass or higher velocity will result in a greater momentum, making it harder to stop or change the direction of an object's motion.

4. What is an example of the Momentum Principle in action?

An example of the Momentum Principle can be seen in a game of billiards. When a pool player hits the cue ball with a cue stick, the cue ball's momentum is transferred to the other balls on the table, causing them to move in different directions.

5. How does the Momentum Principle apply to real-world situations?

The Momentum Principle is a fundamental law of physics and applies to many real-world situations, such as car crashes, sports, and rocket launches. It helps explain and predict the behavior of objects in motion and is essential in engineering and designing systems that involve motion.