Momentum operator in the position representation

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation for the momentum operator $\widehat{\vec{P}}$ in the position representation. The book Quantum Mechanics by Nouredine Zettili uses the definition of $\widehat{\vec{P}}$ and the identity operator $\widehat{I}$ to derive the form of $\widehat{\vec{P}}$ in terms of $\vec{p}$ and $\vec{r}$. The steps are shown and explained, and the questioner has a better understanding of the calculation after the summary.
Fantini
Gold Member
MHB
Hi! :) I'm trying to understand the following calculation. The book Quantum Mechanics by Nouredine Zettili wants to determine the form of the momentum operator $\widehat{\vec{P}}$ in the position representation. To do so he calculates as follows: $$\begin{aligned}
\langle \vec{r} | \widehat{\vec{P}} | \psi \rangle & = \int \langle \vec{r} | \widehat{\vec{P}} | \psi \rangle \langle \vec{p} | \psi \rangle \, d^3 p \\
& = \int \vec{p} \langle \vec{r} | \vec{p} \rangle \langle \vec{p} | \psi \rangle \, d^3 p \\
& = \frac{1}{(2 \pi \hbar)^{3/2}} \int \vec{p} \exp \left( \frac{i \vec{p} \cdot \vec{r} }{\hbar} \right) \Psi(\vec{p}) \, d^3 p.
\end{aligned}$$ The momentum operator is defined as $\widehat{\vec{P}} | \vec{p} \rangle = \vec{p} | \vec{p} \rangle$.

I don't understand he's doing from the first to the second line, after applying the definition of $\langle \vec{r} | \widehat{\vec{P}} | \psi \rangle$. I know that $$\langle \vec{r} | \vec{p} \rangle = \frac{1}{(2 \pi \hbar)^{3/2}} \exp \left( \frac{i \vec{p} \cdot \vec{r}}{\hbar} \right)$$ and $$\langle \vec{p} | \psi \rangle = \Psi(\vec{p}),$$ but I don't see how he gets to that. The book claims to use that $ | \vec{p} \rangle \langle \vec{p} | = \widehat{I}$, the identity operator, and $\langle \vec{r} | \vec{p} \rangle = \ldots$.

Here's what I thought: if we use that $ | \vec{p} \rangle \langle \vec{p} | = \widehat{I}$ then $$\begin{aligned} \langle \vec{r} | \widehat{\vec{P}} | \vec{p} \rangle \langle \vec{p} | \psi \rangle & = \langle \vec{r} | \widehat{\vec{P}} \widehat{I} | \psi \rangle \\ & = \langle \vec{r} | \widehat{\vec{P}} | \psi \rangle \\ & = \langle \vec{r} | \vec{p} | \vec{p} \rangle | \psi \rangle \\ & = \vec{p} \langle \vec{r} | \vec{p} \rangle | \psi \rangle. \end{aligned}$$ That doesn't seem to be what's happening. If we don't use that $ | \vec{p} \rangle \langle \vec{p} | = \widehat{I}$, then I find an extra $| \vec{p} \rangle$ lying around.

Where am I going wrong?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Fantini said:
Hi! :) I'm trying to understand the following calculation. The book Quantum Mechanics by Nouredine Zettili wants to determine the form of the momentum operator $\widehat{\vec{P}}$ in the position representation. To do so he calculates as follows: $$\begin{aligned}
\langle \vec{r} | \widehat{\vec{P}} | \psi \rangle & = \int \langle \vec{r} | \widehat{\vec{P}} | \psi \rangle \langle \vec{p} | \psi \rangle \, d^3 p \\
& = \int \vec{p} \langle \vec{r} | \vec{p} \rangle \langle \vec{p} | \psi \rangle \, d^3 p \\
& = \frac{1}{(2 \pi \hbar)^{3/2}} \int \vec{p} \exp \left( \frac{i \vec{p} \cdot \vec{r} }{\hbar} \right) \Psi(\vec{p}) \, d^3 p.
\end{aligned}$$ The momentum operator is defined as $\widehat{\vec{P}} | \vec{p} \rangle = \vec{p} | \vec{p} \rangle$.

I don't understand he's doing from the first to the second line, after applying the definition of $\langle \vec{r} | \widehat{\vec{P}} | \psi \rangle$. I know that $$\langle \vec{r} | \vec{p} \rangle = \frac{1}{(2 \pi \hbar)^{3/2}} \exp \left( \frac{i \vec{p} \cdot \vec{r}}{\hbar} \right)$$ and $$\langle \vec{p} | \psi \rangle = \Psi(\vec{p}),$$ but I don't see how he gets to that. The book claims to use that $ | \vec{p} \rangle \langle \vec{p} | = \widehat{I}$, the identity operator, and $\langle \vec{r} | \vec{p} \rangle = \ldots$.

Here's what I thought: if we use that $ | \vec{p} \rangle \langle \vec{p} | = \widehat{I}$ then $$\begin{aligned} \langle \vec{r} | \widehat{\vec{P}} | \vec{p} \rangle \langle \vec{p} | \psi \rangle & = \langle \vec{r} | \widehat{\vec{P}} \widehat{I} | \psi \rangle \\ & = \langle \vec{r} | \widehat{\vec{P}} | \psi \rangle \\ & = \langle \vec{r} | \vec{p} | \vec{p} \rangle | \psi \rangle \\ & = \vec{p} \langle \vec{r} | \vec{p} \rangle | \psi \rangle. \end{aligned}$$ That doesn't seem to be what's happening. If we don't use that $ | \vec{p} \rangle \langle \vec{p} | = \widehat{I}$, then I find an extra $| \vec{p} \rangle$ lying around.

Where am I going wrong?
Sorry it's taken me so long to respond. A visit to my parents, two week long flus, and a 3 day anxiety attack pretty much fills up a month.

Anyway, where did you get that first line from? Maybe it's right but to me it doesn't even look wrong. Also \(\displaystyle I = \int | \vec{p} > < \vec{p} |~d^3 \vec{p}\)

Let's take it step by step.
\(\displaystyle < \vec{r} | \vec{P} | \psi > ~ = ~ < \vec{r} | \vec{P} I | \psi >\)

\(\displaystyle = < \vec{r} | \vec{P} \int | \vec{p} > < \vec{p} | d^3 \vec{p} ~ | \psi >\)

\(\displaystyle = \int < \vec{r} | \vec{P} | \vec{p} > < \vec{p} | \psi > ~d^3 \vec{p}\)

\(\displaystyle = \int \vec{p} < \vec{r} | \vec{p} > < \vec{p} | \psi > ~d^3 \vec{p}\)

\(\displaystyle = \frac{1}{(2 \pi \hbar)^{3/2}} \int \vec{p} \psi( \vec{p} ) e^{i p \cdot r/ \hbar} ~d^3 \vec{p}\)

-Dan

Thank you for answering, topsquark!

I think I understand everything. You write $\vec{P} = \vec{P}\cdot \widehat{I}$ and uses that $$\widehat{I} = \int |\vec{p} \rangle \langle \vec{p} | \, d^3 p.$$ Then you pass the ket $| \psi \rangle$ inside the integral and pair it up with the bra $\langle p |$, forming $\psi(\vec{p})$. Next you do the same with $\langle \vec{r} | \vec{P}$ and apply the definition of $\vec{P} | \vec{p} \rangle = \vec{p} | \vec{p} \rangle$, pair up $\langle \vec{r} | \vec{p} \rangle$ and the rest follows through.

One question: the relation $\vec{P} | \vec{p} \rangle = \vec{p} | \vec{p} \rangle$ makes no sense for me at all. I read this as if he's saying the vector $\vec{p}$ is an eigenvalue associated to the vector $| \vec{p} \rangle$, but eigenvalues are numbers, not vectors! :confused: Can you shed some light on this?

Fantini said:
Thank you for answering, topsquark!

I think I understand everything. You write $\vec{P} = \vec{P}\cdot \widehat{I}$ and uses that $$\widehat{I} = \int |\vec{p} \rangle \langle \vec{p} | \, d^3 p.$$ Then you pass the ket $| \psi \rangle$ inside the integral and pair it up with the bra $\langle p |$, forming $\psi(\vec{p})$. Next you do the same with $\langle \vec{r} | \vec{P}$ and apply the definition of $\vec{P} | \vec{p} \rangle = \vec{p} | \vec{p} \rangle$, pair up $\langle \vec{r} | \vec{p} \rangle$ and the rest follows through.

One question: the relation $\vec{P} | \vec{p} \rangle = \vec{p} | \vec{p} \rangle$ makes no sense for me at all. I read this as if he's saying the vector $\vec{p}$ is an eigenvalue associated to the vector $| \vec{p} \rangle$, but eigenvalues are numbers, not vectors! :confused: Can you shed some light on this?
Good notation is not what Quantum Mechanics is famous for.
\(\displaystyle \vec{P} | \vec{p} > = \vec{p} | \vec{p} >\)

\(\displaystyle | \vec{p} > \) is the eigenstate (eigenvector, eigenket, whatever) that "carries" the eigenvalue \(\displaystyle \vec{p}\).

\(\displaystyle \vec{P}\) is the (Hermitian) operator that returns the momentum of the eigenvector \(\displaystyle | \vec{p} >\). \(\displaystyle \widehat{P}\) is another common symbol for this operator.

So letting the operator \(\displaystyle \vec{P}\) act on \(\displaystyle | \vec{p} > \) gives \(\displaystyle \vec{P} | \vec{p} > = \vec{p} | \vec{p} > \). And because \(\displaystyle \vec{P}\) is Hermitian we also have \(\displaystyle < \vec{p} | \vec{P} = < \vec{p} | \vec{p} \).

I'm using the symbols that I was taught. You need to make sure you know the terminology that your instructor is using. Please let me know if you have trouble understanding notation and I'll be happy to explain it out to you.

-Dan

That seems standard to me. It's just that my mathematician-trained mind sees eigenvalues as numbers, not vectors. :confused: I'll get used to it, I guess. I'm self-studying this. I want to apply for a masters in mathematical physics in a physics institute. To get funding I need to do well in a test consisting of 10 questions, divided in 2 questions of classical mechanics, 2 questions of electromagnetism, 2 questions of quantum mechanics, 2 questions of modern physics and 2 questions of thermodynamics and statistical mechanics.

I'm self-teaching myself three (QM, TSM and MP), while I had one course in CM and EM each.

But I understand your reasoning perfectly. Thanks! :)

Fantini said:
That seems standard to me. It's just that my mathematician-trained mind sees eigenvalues as numbers, not vectors. :confused: I'll get used to it, I guess. I'm self-studying this. I want to apply for a masters in mathematical physics in a physics institute. To get funding I need to do well in a test consisting of 10 questions, divided in 2 questions of classical mechanics, 2 questions of electromagnetism, 2 questions of quantum mechanics, 2 questions of modern physics and 2 questions of thermodynamics and statistical mechanics.

I'm self-teaching myself three (QM, TSM and MP), while I had one course in CM and EM each.

But I understand your reasoning perfectly. Thanks! :)
If it makes you feel any better look at it this way: We have three operators \(\displaystyle P_x \text{, } P_y \text{, and } P_z\)

Acting on a ket \(\displaystyle | \vec{p} > \) we get \(\displaystyle P_x = p_x | \vec{p} > \), etc. where \(\displaystyle p_x\) is the x component of the momentum.

-Dan

Related to Momentum operator in the position representation

1. What is the momentum operator in the position representation?

The momentum operator in the position representation is a mathematical operator that is used to describe the momentum of a particle in quantum mechanics. It is represented by the symbol "p" and is defined as the derivative of the position operator with respect to time.

2. How is the momentum operator related to the position operator?

The momentum operator and the position operator are related through the Heisenberg uncertainty principle. The momentum operator is the Fourier transform of the position operator, which means that they are complementary to each other and cannot be measured simultaneously with high precision.

3. What is the significance of the momentum operator in quantum mechanics?

The momentum operator is a fundamental concept in quantum mechanics and is used to describe the motion of particles. It plays a crucial role in the mathematical framework of quantum mechanics and is essential in understanding the behavior of particles at a quantum level.

4. How is the momentum operator represented in the Schrödinger equation?

In the Schrödinger equation, the momentum operator is represented by the term "-iħ∂/∂x", where "i" is the imaginary unit, "ħ" is the reduced Planck's constant, and "∂/∂x" is the partial derivative with respect to position. This term describes the change in momentum of a particle in a particular direction.

5. Can the momentum operator be observed in experiments?

No, the momentum operator cannot be observed directly in experiments. It is a mathematical concept that represents the momentum of a particle in quantum mechanics. However, its effects can be observed through various experiments, such as the double-slit experiment, which demonstrate the wavelike nature of particles and their momentum.