Momentum Constraint in GR: ADM Formalism

In summary, the equations 1a, 1b and 2 are all same (besides a factor of ##-\sqrt{\gamma}## in equation 2). To establish the equality you need to use the fact that the intrinsic covariant derivative is (pullback) metric compatible. Also ##D_i\sqrt{\gamma}=\frac{1}{2}\sqrt{\gamma}\gamma^{ab}D_i\gamma_{ab}=0##Let me ask, why we could not write ##D_i\sqrt {\gamma}=\partial_i \sqrt {\gamma}\sim\gamma^{ab}\partial_i\gamma_{ab}\
Sergei65
Momentum constraint in GR in ADM formalism is written in the form

$$\mathcal M_i=\gamma_{ij}D_k\pi^{kj},~~~~~~~~~~(1a)$$ or equivalently

$$\mathcal M_i=D_k\pi^{k}_i,~~~~~~~~~~(1b)$$ where
##\pi^{ij}=-\gamma^{1/2}\left(K^{ij}-\gamma^{ij}K\right)~##, ##K=\gamma^{ij}K_{ij}~##, ##\gamma=\det \gamma_{ij}~## and ##D_i~## is covariant derivative. This is from DeWitt1967 parer and original ADM parer.

However, those who deal with numerical relativity uses $$\mathcal
M_i=D_jK^j_i-D_iK.~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~(2)$$

What formula is right? (they coincides only if ##\gamma## does not depend on spatial coordinates, which is evidently not the case.

Physics news on Phys.org
Sergei65 said:
Momentum constraint in GR in ADM formalism is written in the form

$$\mathcal M_i=\gamma_{ij}D_k\pi^{kj},~~~~~~~~~~(1a)$$ or equivalently

$$\mathcal M_i=D_k\pi^{k}_i,~~~~~~~~~~(1b)$$ where
##\pi^{ij}=-\gamma^{1/2}\left(K^{ij}-\gamma^{ij}K\right)~##, ##K=\gamma^{ij}K_{ij}~##, ##\gamma=\det \gamma_{ij}~## and ##D_i~## is covariant derivative. This is from DeWitt1967 parer and original ADM parer.

However, those who deal with numerical relativity uses $$\mathcal
M_i=D_jK^j_i-D_iK.~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~(2)$$

What formula is right? (they coincides only if ##\gamma## does not depend on spatial coordinates, which is evidently not the case.

I think the equations 1a, 1b and 2 are all same (besides a factor of ##-\sqrt{\gamma}## in equation 2). To establish the equality you need to use the fact that the intrinsic covariant derivative is (pullback) metric compatible. Also ##D_i\sqrt{\gamma}=\frac{1}{2}\sqrt{\gamma}\gamma^{ab}D_i\gamma_{ab}=0##

Likes Sergei65 and Dale
Let me ask, why we could not write ##D_i\sqrt {\gamma}=\partial_i \sqrt {\gamma}\sim\gamma^{ab}\partial_i\gamma_{ab}\ne0##? I ask this because it is well known that ##d\gamma\sim\gamma^{ab}d\gamma_{ab}##, where ##d## is usual differencial. From the other hand it seems that ##D_i\gamma=\partial_i \gamma##.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Likes Ravi Mohan

Related to Momentum Constraint in GR: ADM Formalism

1. What is the momentum constraint in the ADM formalism?

The momentum constraint in the ADM formalism is one of the three equations that make up the ADM equations in general relativity (GR). It is a mathematical expression that relates the spatial derivatives of the metric tensor and the extrinsic curvature tensor in a given spacetime. It reflects the conservation of momentum in a gravitational system and is an important tool for solving the Einstein field equations in GR.

2. Why is the momentum constraint important in GR?

The momentum constraint is important in GR because it reflects the underlying symmetry of spacetime. In other words, it reflects the fact that the laws of physics are the same for all observers, regardless of their relative motion. Additionally, the momentum constraint is a crucial component in solving the Einstein field equations, which describe the gravitational interactions between matter and energy in the universe.

3. How is the momentum constraint derived in the ADM formalism?

The momentum constraint is derived from the Einstein field equations and the definitions of the ADM variables (the metric tensor, extrinsic curvature tensor, and lapse and shift functions). It involves taking the spatial derivatives of the Einstein field equations and using the definition of the extrinsic curvature tensor to eliminate the time derivatives. This results in a set of equations known as the momentum constraint, which must be satisfied in any solution of the Einstein field equations in the ADM formalism.

4. Can the momentum constraint be violated in GR?

No, the momentum constraint cannot be violated in GR. It is a fundamental equation that must be satisfied in any solution of the Einstein field equations. If the momentum constraint is not satisfied, it indicates a flaw in the solution or an incorrect application of the ADM formalism. Violations of the momentum constraint would also violate the underlying symmetry of spacetime and lead to inconsistencies in the equations of motion.

5. What are the implications of the momentum constraint for gravitational systems?

The momentum constraint has important implications for gravitational systems. It reflects the conservation of momentum in a given spacetime, which is crucial for understanding the behavior of matter and energy in the presence of gravity. The momentum constraint also plays a key role in determining the evolution of gravitational systems, such as black holes, and is a necessary condition for the existence of well-defined solutions to the Einstein field equations.