Momentum Conservation - so hard

In summary, to find the velocity of two cars after a completely inelastic collision, you must add the momentum vectors of each car, which is equal to the mass of the car multiplied by its velocity. Then, take the square root of the sum of the squares of the momenta to find the total momentum. Finally, divide the total momentum by the sum of the masses of the cars to find the velocity. In this case, the final velocity after the collision is 30 km/h.
rum2563
Momentum Conservation --- so hard!

Homework Statement

Two automobiles collide at an intersection. One car of mass 1.4 X 10^3 kg is traveling at 45km/h ; the other car of mass 1.3 X 10^3 kg is traveling at 39km/h [E]. If the cars have a completely inelastic collision, what is their velocity just after collision?

Homework Equations

v1m1 + v2m2 = v(m1 + m2)

The Attempt at a Solution

Given information:
m1 = 1.4 X 10^3 kg
m2 = 1.3 X 10^3 kg
v1 = 45km/h --> 12.5 m/s
v2 = 39 km/h [E] --> 10.83 m/s
vf ' = ?

v1m1 + v2m2 = v(m1 + m2)
(12.5)(1.4 X 10^3) + (10.83)(1.3 X 10^3) = v (1.4 X 10^3 + 1.3 X 10^3 kg)
v = 11.7 m/s --> 42 km/H

But the answer that I get is wrong. So anyone please help me how to do this. Thanks.
The correct answer is 30 km/h.

Physics news on Phys.org
vector addition

Realize that momentum is a vector. Add the momentum vectors to get the total momentum of the cars after they collide and stick together.

I am really confused.

Do I do the following:[tex]\sqrt{10.8^2 + 12.5^2}[/tex]

I am not sure what to do since there are so many ways to do this, and I am not sure where to begin.

rum2563 said:
Do I do the following:[tex]\sqrt{10.8^2 + 12.5^2}[/tex]
Not exactly. You added the squares of the velocities; you should have added the squares of the momenta = mass*velocity.

Oohhh. ok.

I did this:

p1= m1v1
= (1.4 X 10 ^3)(12.5)
= 17500 kg.m/s

p2= m2v2
= (1.3 X 10 ^3)(10.8)
= 14040 kg.m/s

[tex]\sqrt{17500^2 + 14040^2}[/tex]
= 2.24 X 10^4 kg.m/s

Now I think I got it:
2.24 X 10^4 = v (m1 + m2)
v = (2.24 X 10^4)/(1.4 X 10 ^3 + 1.3 X 10 ^3)
v= 8.296296296 m/s
v = 29.86666667 km/h

Therefore, the speed is 30 km/h.

Wow. Thanks for this Doc Al. I appreciate your help very much. You are the best.

Last edited:
Likes omineijevu

Related to Momentum Conservation - so hard

1. What is momentum conservation and why is it difficult?

Momentum conservation is a fundamental law in physics that states that the total momentum of a closed system remains constant over time. This means that the total amount of motion in a system does not change unless acted upon by an external force. It is considered difficult because it requires a thorough understanding of the concept and various mathematical equations to accurately calculate and predict changes in momentum within a system.

2. How is momentum conserved in collisions?

In a collision, momentum is conserved because the total momentum of the objects before the collision is equal to the total momentum after the collision. This means that the sum of the individual momentums of the objects involved in the collision remains constant, even if they change direction or speed.

3. Can momentum be lost or gained?

No, momentum cannot be lost or gained in a closed system. This is known as the law of conservation of momentum. However, within a system, momentum can be transferred from one object to another, resulting in a change in the individual momentums, but the total momentum of the system remains constant.

4. How does momentum conservation apply to real-life situations?

Momentum conservation can be observed in various real-life situations, such as car crashes, sports collisions, or even billiard balls bouncing off each other. It is also a crucial concept in understanding the movement of objects in space, such as planets orbiting around the sun.

5. What happens when the total momentum of a system is not conserved?

If the total momentum of a system is not conserved, it means that there is an external force acting on the system. This could be due to factors such as friction, air resistance, or other external forces that can cause a change in the individual momentums of the objects within the system. In this case, the law of conservation of momentum does not apply.