Momentum conservation law in shooting gun problem

In summary: So the force won't be constant but will be an average force over the time the bullet is in the barrel.In summary, the problem involves finding the average recoil force of a gun while shooting a bullet with a given mass and speed. The solution involves using the acceleration equation and multiplying it by the mass of the bullet, resulting in an average force of mv^2/(4*l). This is because the speed of the bullet is not constant and the force exerted by the gun is not constant throughout the process.
Petrulis

Homework Statement

There is a gun which mass is M = 4 kg. The length of the gun's barrel is l = 50 cm. I need to find the average recoil force while shooting the bullet which mass is m = 5g. The speed of bullet when it leaves the gun's barrel is v = 930 m/s.

The Attempt at a Solution

Acceleration of the bullet is:

a = v^2/(2*l);​

To get out of the barrel it takes time which is:

t = v/a = 2*l/v;​

The average momentum of the bullet when it is in barrel is equal:

p(ave bullet) = mv/2;​

But the gun gets the same average momentum (momentum conservation law):

p(ave gun) = mv/2;​

So this means that the average gun's recoil force is:

F = p(ave gun)/t = mv/2 : 2l/v = mv^2/(4*l);​

I am really a little bit confused. I haven't used gun's mass M in the solution. Isn't here any mistakes in the solution?

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't think you need to go much further than this

a = v^2/(2*l);

equation of yours.

If you multiply this by the mass of the bullet you have the average force that the "gun" exerts on the bullet. According to Newton's third law the "bullet" will exert the same average force in the opposite direction on the gun.

andrevdh said:
I don't think you need to go much further than this

a = v^2/(2*l);

equation of yours.

If you multiply this by the mass of the bullet you have the average force that the "gun" exerts on the bullet. According to Newton's third law the "bullet" will exert the same average force in the opposite direction on the gun.

Thanks for help. But if I just use the acceleration equation and multiply it by the mass of the bullet, I get the answer: mv^2/(2*l). And in my solution there is an answer mv^2/(4*l), so twice less. I think that this happens because the speed of the bullet is not steady. So the recoil force is not steady also - at the beginning of the process it is 0, and when the bullet leaves the barrel, recoil force reaches its maximal value. So the average recoil force is maximum recoil force (mv^2/(2*l)) divided by 2, and I get the answer mv^2/(4*l).

Are these ideas correct? :)

Well, I thought your acceleration equation assumes a constant (average) force acting on the bullet while it progresses down the barrel (it is a constant acceleration equation).

What happens in reality is that the force will at first be a maximum - when the explosion occurs and the intial amount of gas pushes the bullet out of the cartridge. As the gas expands the force will decrease down the barrel, also due to leakage of gas past the bullet.

Related to Momentum conservation law in shooting gun problem

What is momentum conservation law?

Momentum conservation law is a fundamental principle in physics that states that the total momentum of a closed system remains constant. This means that in any interaction or event, the total momentum before the event is equal to the total momentum after the event.

How does momentum conservation apply to shooting a gun?

When a gun is fired, the bullet and gun have an initial momentum of zero. As the bullet is expelled from the gun, it gains momentum in the direction of its motion, while the gun recoils in the opposite direction. The total momentum of the system (bullet + gun) remains constant before and after the shooting.

Why is momentum conservation important in shooting a gun?

Momentum conservation is important in shooting a gun because it helps to determine the recoil force and speed of the bullet. It also explains why larger, heavier guns have less recoil than smaller, lighter guns for the same bullet velocity.

Does momentum conservation law apply to all types of guns?

Yes, momentum conservation law applies to all types of guns, including rifles, pistols, and shotguns. As long as the gun and bullet are considered as a closed system, the total momentum before and after the shot will remain constant.

Can momentum conservation be violated in shooting a gun?

No, momentum conservation cannot be violated in shooting a gun. This law is a fundamental principle in physics and has been proven to hold true in all interactions and events, including shooting a gun. Any violation would indicate an error in calculation or measurement.