Momentum Conservation in Tennis Ball Collision

In summary, a tennis player with a 1000 g racket swings it at a speed of 8.00 m/s and hits a 60 g tennis ball approaching at 11.0 m/s. The ball rebounds at 36.0 m/s. To find the velocity of the racket immediately after impact, conservation of momentum can be used. For the second part, the question deals with impulse and can be solved by finding the acceleration and using it to calculate the average force exerted by the racket on the ball.
quick
A tennis player swings her 1000 g racket with a speed of 8.00 m/s. She hits a 60 g tennis ball that was approaching her at a speed of 11.0 m/s. The ball rebounds at 36.0 m/s.

1)How fast is her racket moving immediately after the impact? You can ignore the interaction of the racket with her hand for the brief duration of the collision.

2)If the tennis ball and racket are in contact for 9.00 ms, what is the average force that the racket exerts on the ball?

is this a momentum problem where i figure out the p_initial and then p_final and subtract final from initial? and then solve for velocity after from the p_final? and I am not sure for the second question. thanks in advance for your help.

Physics news on Phys.org
As you suggested, the first part looks like a conservation of momentum question. The second part deals with impulse.

ok i got a little farther... basically i set it up like m_r*v_r + m_b*v_b = m_r2*v_r2' + m_b2*v_b2'. where m_r is the mass of racket v_r is velocity of racket m_b is mass of ball and v_b is velocity of ball and same for other side except they are the final values. i am given all of the values except for v_r2' and i tried solving for it but i get a wrong answer. for the second part i just did accel = (v_b' - v_b)/t and then F=ma. but i am confused as to which mass to use because using the racket's mass gave me a wrong answer.

nevermind i got it

Related to Momentum Conservation in Tennis Ball Collision

1. What is momentum in the context of tennis balls?

Momentum is a measure of an object's motion and is calculated by multiplying its mass by its velocity. In the context of tennis balls, momentum refers to the amount of force that a ball has when it is moving.

2. How does momentum affect the trajectory of a tennis ball?

The momentum of a tennis ball affects its trajectory by determining how far and in what direction it will travel when hit. The greater the momentum, the more force the ball will have and the farther it will travel.

3. What factors can affect the momentum of a tennis ball?

The momentum of a tennis ball can be affected by various factors such as the mass of the ball, the speed at which it is moving, the angle at which it is hit, and any external forces acting on it, such as air resistance or friction.

4. How can momentum be conserved in a tennis game?

Momentum can be conserved in a tennis game by maintaining a constant mass and velocity of the ball throughout the game. This can be achieved by using regulation-sized and weight tennis balls and ensuring that players do not hit the ball with excessive force.

5. How does momentum play a role in the power of a tennis shot?

Momentum is a crucial factor in the power of a tennis shot. The more momentum a player can transfer to the ball, the more force the ball will have and the more powerful the shot will be. This is why players often use their entire body and swing their racquet with force to generate maximum momentum for a powerful shot.