Momentum and Spring Compression

In summary, the time period of the SHM is approximately 2.5 seconds. The fraction of time that elapses from maximum speed to maximum compression is about 50%.
Zaft3
I am asked to rate a series of elastic collisions in order greatest time of max compression to least time of max compression for several vehicles with varying masses and velocities, which strike a spring with a spring constant k.

I can determine the Momentum of each case, as I am given the masses and velocities. Additionally, I can determine each of their kinetic energy.

I am working on the presumption that the kinetic energy of the car will be converted into potential energy in the spring:

1/2mv^2 =1/2kx^2

Also, I know the impulse of the car's is going to be

Ft= Δvm, so t=Δvm/F

I also know that the Force on spring will be F=kx, but I am not sure how the magnitude of the momentum of the car's is going to relate to the time of maximum spring compression.

Any hints?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Zaft3! Welcome to PF :smile:

I think you will need to use a bit of calculus. The impulsive force you need is only for the last instant when velocity becomes zero, and not through the whole compression of the spring. So, conserving energy you will get v' as,

[tex](V')^2 = \frac{mv^2-kx^2}{m} [/tex]

And, by impulse equation,

[tex]m\cdot dv' = k\cdot dt\cdot dx [/tex]

Differentiate the first equation with respect to x, and using that relation, integrate the second equation.

Zaft3 said:
I am asked to rate a series of elastic collisions in order greatest time of max compression to least time of max compression for several vehicles with varying masses and velocities, which strike a spring with a spring constant k.

From the instant the vehicle strikes the spring they move together till maximum compression, when the speed becomes zero, according to a simple harmonic motion.

Do you can find the time period of that SHM from the spring constant and the mass of the vehicle?

What fraction of the time period elapses from maximum speed to maximum compression (zero speed)?

ehild

Related to Momentum and Spring Compression

1. What is momentum?

Momentum is a measure of an object's motion, calculated as the product of its mass and velocity.

2. How is momentum related to spring compression?

When a spring is compressed, it stores potential energy. This potential energy can then be converted into kinetic energy, causing the object attached to the spring to gain momentum.

3. What is spring compression?

Spring compression is the change in length of a spring when a force is applied to it. This change in length is due to the elastic properties of the spring.

4. How does the mass of an object affect its momentum and spring compression?

The momentum of an object is directly proportional to its mass, meaning that a heavier object will have more momentum than a lighter object at the same velocity. Similarly, the amount of spring compression will also be greater for a heavier object compared to a lighter object when the same force is applied.

5. What factors affect the amount of momentum and spring compression in a system?

The amount of momentum and spring compression in a system is affected by the mass of the object, the velocity at which it is moving, and the amount of force applied. The type and properties of the spring can also play a role in the amount of compression achieved.