Moment of Inertia through center of mass

In summary, the rod is 10 ft long with a density that varies from 4 to 24 lb/ft. The mass is 140 lb and the center of mass is located at x = 6.19 ft. To calculate the moment of inertia about the center of mass, the parallel axis theorem is used by subtracting M*d^2 where d is the distance to the center of mass. Alternatively, the moment of inertia can be directly calculated using the definition of moment of inertia and integrating from 0 to 10, with the squared distance to the center of mass as the integrand. The final answer is 6.92M.
eprparadox

Homework Statement

A rod is 10 ft long and has a density that goes from 4 to 24 lb/ft.

a) Find the mass.
b) Find the center of mass.
c) Find the moment of inertia through the center of mass.

Homework Equations

I = Ml^2
I = I(cm) + Md^2 (parallel axis theorem)

The Attempt at a Solution

So I got figured out the solution to this problem.

a) M = 140
b) x(cm) = 6.19
c) I(cm) = 6.92M

My question revolves around part c. The way I found it was to use the parallel axis theorem. I found the moment of inertia at one end of the rod. Then I subtracted M*d^2 where d= 6.19 (the distance to the center of mass. This gave me the correct answer.

However, I was trying for some time to just get the moment of inertia about the center of mass directly from the definition of moment of inertia, but I couldn't get the integration limits right.

If I have my axis at the center of mass, I don't know how to setup the integral properly. Or is it that you have to use the parallel axis theorem?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
1. You are given units in the OP. Your answers should also reflect the proper units.

2. Your description of the calculation of the moment of inertia is not clear.

3. One way to calculate the moment of inertia is to set up the inertia calculation using one end of the rod as the initial reference point for both the first and second moments of mass. Once these moments are determined about the endpoint, then the PAT can be used to find the moment of inertia about the COM. There should be no confusion about the limits of integration in this case.

but I couldn't get the integration limits right.
You can still integrate from 0 to 10, just take the squared distance to the center of mass instead of the position as integrand (multiplied by the density of course).
Or is it that you have to use the parallel axis theorem?
You don't have to.

Your answers have missing units.

1. In regards to the units, that's my bad. In haste, I wrote the answers without units.

M = 140 lb
x(cm) = 6.19 ft.

2. I found my error when calculating the moment of inertia about the center of mass. Just as mfb stated, the l^2 term will have to be the distance from the center of mass point, which is (6.19 - l)^2. This would be, of course, multiplied by the density and then integrated from 0 to 10 for the correct answer.

Thanks so much!

Dear student,

First of all, great job on finding the solutions to parts a) and b) of the problem. As for part c), you were on the right track with using the parallel axis theorem. The reason you couldn't get the moment of inertia directly from the definition is because the density of the rod is not constant throughout its length. This means that the mass distribution is not uniform and therefore, the moment of inertia cannot be calculated using the standard formula (I = ∫r^2dm).

To calculate the moment of inertia directly from the definition, you would need to break the rod into infinitesimally small sections and integrate the moment of inertia of each section (using the formula I = ∫r^2dm). However, this would be a very tedious and time-consuming process.

Using the parallel axis theorem is a much simpler and more efficient way to calculate the moment of inertia in this case. It allows you to take into account the varying density of the rod and still get the correct answer. So, in conclusion, you were on the right track and using the parallel axis theorem is the correct approach to finding the moment of inertia through the center of mass in this problem. Keep up the good work!

Related to Moment of Inertia through center of mass

What is moment of inertia through center of mass?

The moment of inertia through center of mass is a measurement of an object's resistance to rotational motion about its center of mass. It is influenced by the object's mass distribution and the distance of the mass from the center of mass.

How is moment of inertia through center of mass calculated?

Moment of inertia through center of mass can be calculated by summing the products of each mass element and its distance squared from the center of mass. This can also be expressed as the integral of mass elements multiplied by their respective distance squared from the center of mass.

Why is moment of inertia through center of mass important?

Moment of inertia through center of mass is important because it helps determine an object's rotational behavior. Objects with larger moments of inertia will require more torque to rotate and will have slower rates of rotation, while objects with smaller moments of inertia will rotate more easily and quickly.

How does the distribution of mass affect moment of inertia through center of mass?

The distribution of mass significantly affects moment of inertia through center of mass. Objects with more mass concentrated farther from the center of mass will have larger moments of inertia compared to objects with the same total mass but with more evenly distributed mass.

How can the moment of inertia through center of mass be used in real-world applications?

The moment of inertia through center of mass is used in various engineering and physics applications. It is essential in designing and analyzing the behavior of rotating objects such as wheels, flywheels, and propellers. It is also used in sports equipment, such as tennis rackets and golf clubs, to optimize their performance and stability during motion.