Moment of Inertia of Half Ring (Half Circle)

In summary, the conversation discusses an object hanging from a ceiling and its moment of inertia at a point on the ceiling. The mass and length of the rope are also mentioned. The solution involves using the equation I=∫mr^2dr and the parallel axis theorem for objects that are not point masses.
Arman777
Insights Author
Gold Member

Homework Statement

Theres an object which makes a pendulum motion.Lets suppose we hang the mass to the ceiling.We released the object with inital angle 0 to the ceiling.(I mean the angle between the object and the ceiling is zero).Whats the moment of the Inertia to the point A.

A is a point on the ceiling which middle of the motion.Lets suppose Lenght of the rope is L then.Imagine the inital position.Theres mass m and it makes zero angle with object.Now A point will be (Objects position-L)=A

Mass of object m
Lenght of rope L

Homework Equations

I=∫mr^2dr

The Attempt at a Solution

M=∫mdr which r goes to -r to r
and
I=∫mr^2dr so
I=∫dM/dr r^2 dr
I=∫dMr^2
I=Mr^2

Is this correct.

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes. All the mass is at distance r from the rotation axis. You basically assume your object is a point mass.

If this assumption no longer holds, the parallel axis theorem is a good tool to use.

Your algebra is sort of correct if you define m to be the linear density of the object (as a function of distance along it) and M as the total mass. Even then, you have used M in two different ways. Inside the integral you have used it as total mass from the axis out to some distance r. Outside the integral you used it as the mass of the complete object.

Related to Moment of Inertia of Half Ring (Half Circle)

What is the moment of inertia of a half ring?

The moment of inertia of a half ring, also known as a half circle, is a measure of its resistance to changes in rotation. It is represented by the symbol I and has units of kg*m^2.

How is the moment of inertia of a half ring calculated?

The moment of inertia of a half ring can be calculated using the formula I = (1/2) * mr^2, where m is the mass of the half ring and r is the radius.

What factors affect the moment of inertia of a half ring?

The moment of inertia of a half ring is affected by its mass, radius, and distribution of mass around the axis of rotation. It also depends on the shape of the half ring, as a thinner and more spread out ring will have a larger moment of inertia than a thicker and more compact one.

What is the importance of the moment of inertia of a half ring?

The moment of inertia of a half ring is important in understanding how an object will rotate and how much torque is needed to achieve a certain angular acceleration. It is also used in engineering and physics calculations involving rotational motion and stability.

How does the moment of inertia of a half ring compare to other shapes?

The moment of inertia of a half ring is less than that of a full ring or disc with the same mass and radius, as it only covers half the area. It is also less than that of a solid cylinder with the same mass and radius, as the mass is spread out over a smaller area. However, it is greater than that of a rod or thin cylinder with the same mass and radius, as the mass is distributed further from the axis of rotation.