Moment of inertia of half disk through integration

In summary: So, the MoI of a half solid thin disk (about the center of the disk) is MR^2/4.In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the moment of inertia for a half solid thin disk about its center. The individual is struggling to find the correct value through integration and is confused about the mass and shape of the disk. However, it is concluded that the moment of inertia is MR^2/4 due to symmetry.
RaamGeneral
Hello, sorry for this stupid question.
I struggled to find the moment of inertia of half solid thin disk (about the center of the disk) through an integration, but I couldn't get the right value.

I'm pretty sure it has to be [tex]MR^2/4[/tex], but
[tex]
I=\int r^2 dm \\
dm=(M/A)dS[/tex]

With [tex]A=\pi R^2/2[/tex]

I compute the integration in polar coordinates, where [tex]dS=r dr d\theta[/tex] with 0<r<R and 0<theta<pi:
[tex] 2M/(\pi R^2) \int_0^R \int_0^\pi r^3 d\theta dr=MR^2/2[/tex]

Where am I wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
I guess you think it should be ##MR^2/4## because the MoI of a full disk is ##MR^2/2##. But, what have you taken as the mass of your half disk? And, what would the mass of the full disk be?

Likes Pardhi
What do you mean about the center? I can think of three ways to rotate a half circle about it's center.

mmh, I think I can see your point. but I'm a bit confused now.

if I take M=(mass of full disk), I(full disk)=MR^2 /2 and I(half disk)=MR^2 /4
if I take M=(mass of half disk) [as I did for the integral], I(full disk)=2MR^2 /2 and I(half disk)=MR^2 /2 (the result of the integral)

So, it seems that if I have an amount M of mass and I shape it to be a full disk or a half disk, I get the same moment of inertia.

BiGyElLoWhAt, you right, I mean about the axis perpendicular to the disk.

RaamGeneral said:
mmh, I think I can see your point. but I'm a bit confused now.

if I take M=(mass of full disk), I(full disk)=MR^2 /2 and I(half disk)=MR^2 /4
if I take M=(mass of half disk) [as I did for the integral], I(full disk)=2MR^2 /2 and I(half disk)=MR^2 /2 (the result of the integral)

So, it seems that if I have an amount M of mass and I shape it to be a full disk or a half disk, I get the same moment of inertia.

Yes, that's correct. By symmetry, each half of the disk contributes half of the MoI.

Likes Pardhi

Related to Moment of inertia of half disk through integration

1. What is the moment of inertia of a half disk?

The moment of inertia of a half disk is a measure of its resistance to changes in rotational motion. It is a scalar value that depends on the mass distribution and geometry of the half disk.

2. How is the moment of inertia of a half disk calculated?

The moment of inertia of a half disk can be calculated using the formula I = (1/2)MR^2, where M is the mass of the half disk and R is the radius of the half disk.

3. What is the significance of the moment of inertia of a half disk?

The moment of inertia of a half disk is important in determining the half disk's angular acceleration when a torque is applied. It also plays a role in the conservation of angular momentum.

4. Can the moment of inertia of a half disk vary?

Yes, the moment of inertia of a half disk can vary depending on factors such as the shape, size, and mass distribution of the half disk. For example, a half disk with a smaller radius will have a smaller moment of inertia compared to one with a larger radius.

5. How does integration play a role in determining the moment of inertia of a half disk?

Integration is used to calculate the moment of inertia of a continuous mass distribution, such as a half disk. By dividing the half disk into infinitesimal elements and summing up their individual moments of inertia, the total moment of inertia of the half disk can be determined through integration.