Moment of inertia of disk, the easy way out?

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of moment of inertia for a disk and why the formula for a rectangle is assumed instead of a circle. It is explained that the delta-squared term becomes irrelevant in the limit and is only used as an approximation. The relationship between delta and dx is also discussed.
phenalor

Homework Statement

When calculating moment of inertia of a disk there is something that really bothers me. I've googled this a lot and everywhere i look they 'assume' that the Δa = Δr*2∏r, formula for rectangle, not circle: (area of circle r+Δr - area of circle r) Δa = ∏(r+Δr)^2 - ∏r^2 = ∏r^2 + 2∏Δr*r + ∏Δr^2 - ∏r^2 = 2∏Δr*r + ∏Δr^2. One link is the same but you get the extra Δr^2. is it even possible to integrate this?

the question is why is this allowed? is it because Δr^2 << Δr*r?

Homework Equations

I = ∫r^2 dm

The Attempt at a Solution

I=∫r^2 dm

disk with inner diameter D/2, outer diameter D, mass M.

r = D/2 => r1 = D/2, r2 = D/4
Δm = M * ΔA / A = M(∏(r+Δr)^2 - ∏r^2)/(∏(r1^2-r2^2))
Δm = M (2Δr*r + Δr^2) / (r1^2-r2^2)
ΔI = Δm * r^2 = ... = 2Mr^3 Δr/(r1^2-r2^2) + M*r^2 Δr^2/(r1^2-r2^2)
I = ∫... ??

Physics news on Phys.org
Look at it this way. A disk of radius r has a circumference of 2*pi*r. If the radius is increased by a small amount dr, the circumference will then be 2*pi*(r+dr). The additional volume will be approximately the circumference multiplied by this additional radius dr, or
dV = 2 * pi * (r+dr)*dr

dV = 2 * pi * r * dr + (dr)^2

As dr shrinks toward 0, the (dr)^2 term shrinks faster than dr.

your dV = 2 * pi * r * dr is equivalent with my 2Δr*r + Δr^2

what i dislike is the 'removal' of dr^2. It shrinks faster, but they both approach 0.

on the other hand, is it even possible to solve

\int(dr + dr^2)

phenalor said:
Δa = ∏(r+Δr)^2 - ∏r^2 = ∏r^2 + 2∏Δr*r + ∏Δr^2 - ∏r^2 = 2∏Δr*r + ∏Δr^2.

the question is why is this allowed? is it because Δr^2 << Δr*r?

I am not a math major but one thing you may want to do is take a look at how big that error is as Δr→0 (and by error I mean the extra Δr2 term).

Try calculating the size of the second order term compared to the first order term as Δr→0 (ie use a ratio).

I am sure this is some fundamental problem solved in mathematical analysis that someone will come along and shed light on.

Last edited:
The problem is I don't know how to solve it.

I agree that it must have been looked upon, but i have a hard time just accepting things like this. I want to know how and why and see a proof. It's a curse really (:

Integration and differentiation are both limit processes. I.e. the answer is defined to be the limit as some small quantity tends to zero. When you write the equation out in detail you find that the zeroth-order terms (the ones not dependent on the delta) cancel out, but the first order terms do not. This means that in the limit the second order (delta-squareds) become irrelevant.

haruspex said:
This means that in the limit the second order (delta-squareds) become irrelevant.

It's not good enough just to say that and that is what the OP is asking about.

phenalor, you didn't try what I suggested. For this example:

(r + Δr)2 = r2 + 2rΔr + Δr2

Take a look at the size of the second order term compared to the first order term as Δr→0 :

lim Δr2 / (2rΔr) = Δr / (2r) = 0
Δr→0

This means the second order term is insignificantly small compared to the first order term so adding it to the first order term adds nothing as Δr→0.

A rigorous mathematical justification will be along those lines.

Last edited:
You could consider it this way:
[tex]\frac{dA}{dr} = \lim_{\Delta r\to0}\frac{\Delta A}{\Delta r} = \lim_{\Delta r\to0}\frac{\pi (r+\Delta r)^2 - \pi r^2}{\Delta r} = \lim_{\Delta r\to0}\frac{\pi (2r\Delta r +(\Delta r)^2)}{\Delta r} = 2\pi r[/tex]
Hence,
[tex]dA = 2\pi r dr[/tex]

aralbrec said:
It's not good enough just to say that and that is what the OP is asking about.
I read the OP as being concerned that omitting the delta-squareds was losing precision, i.e. it was only an approximation. If so, the relevant point was the one we both made, that integral is defined as a limit, so omitting the delta-squareds gives the exact answer.

Sorry I have been gone for so long, lots of examns coming up soon.

Thank you everyone for explaining this to me. It seems i had forgotten the relationship between [itex]\Delta x[/itex] and [itex]dx[/itex], which is really embarrrasing.

The reason I got stuck upon this is that i thought [itex]I = \int{r^2}{dm} \rightarrow \Delta I = \Delta m r^2[/itex], which would give me the
[itex]\Delta I = \frac{2Mr^3\Delta r}{r_1^2-r_2^2}+ \frac{Mr^2\Delta r^2}{r_1^2-r_2^2}[/itex]
meaning i would get stuck with

[itex]dI=\frac{2Mr^3}{r_1^2-r_2^2}dr+\frac{Mr^2}{r_1^2-r_2^2}\Delta r dr[/itex]

edit: also thank you for showing me the awesomeness of LaTeX!

Related to Moment of inertia of disk, the easy way out?

1. What is the moment of inertia of a disk?

The moment of inertia of a disk is a measure of its resistance to changes in rotational motion. It is a physical property that depends on the mass distribution of the disk and its distance from the axis of rotation.

2. How do you calculate the moment of inertia of a disk?

The moment of inertia of a disk can be calculated using the formula I = 1/2 * m * r^2, where I is the moment of inertia, m is the mass of the disk, and r is the radius of the disk.

3. What is the easiest way to calculate the moment of inertia of a disk?

The easiest way to calculate the moment of inertia of a disk is to use the parallel axis theorem. This states that the moment of inertia of a disk about an axis parallel to its center of mass is equal to the moment of inertia about its center of mass plus the product of its mass and the square of the distance between the two axes.

4. What factors affect the moment of inertia of a disk?

The moment of inertia of a disk is affected by its mass, radius, and the distance of the axis of rotation from its center of mass. The shape and mass distribution of the disk also play a role in determining its moment of inertia.

5. Why is the moment of inertia important for a disk?

The moment of inertia of a disk is important because it is a key factor in determining how easily the disk can be rotated or accelerated. It is also important for understanding the stability and balance of systems that involve rotating disks, such as gyroscopes or rotating machinery.