Moment of inertia in shear stress formula

In summary: I defined y-axis as the axis that is up , which is not into the book ...You don't have to worry about the y axis. Not for this problem. If applied loading was into the book, only then would you need to consider weak axis bending about the vertical y axis.
foo9008

Homework Statement

In the first photo , i was told that the I represent the moment of inertia about the neutral axis ... But , in the 2nd photo , i found that the author calculate the moment of inertia about the x-axis (parallel to neutral axis ) and y -axis ( perpendicular to neutral axis) ...

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So , is the example in the second photo wrong ?

Attachments

• 412.jpg
    412.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 494
  • 411.jpg
    411.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 453
Physics news on Phys.org
Not sure what you mean. The moment of inertia is correctly calculated about the horizontal neutral axis of the beam's cross sectional area. If you call the x-axis as the axis along the beam's 8 m length, and the y-axis as the vertical axis, then the horizontal neutral axis in question lies along the z axis into the plane of your screen.

Likes foo9008
PhanthomJay said:
Not sure what you mean. The moment of inertia is correctly calculated about the horizontal neutral axis of the beam's cross sectional area. If you call the x-axis as the axis along the beam's 8 m length, and the y-axis as the vertical axis, then the horizontal neutral axis in question lies along the z axis into the plane of your screen.

sorry , i misunderstood something . Clear now .

For second question , i let the horizontal axis as x-axis ( which is also the neutral axis) ...So , the moment of inertia is about the neutral axis , which is only Ixx only , right ? We don't have to consider Iyy ( moment about vertical axis , right ) ?

foo9008 said:
sorry , i misunderstood something . Clear now .

For second question , i let the horizontal axis as x-axis ( which is also the neutral axis) ...So , the moment of inertia is about the neutral axis , which is only Ixx only , right ? We don't have to consider Iyy ( moment about vertical axis , right ) ?
That is correct, because the bending moments are about the horizontal neutral axis and shears are along the y axis. If the moments were about the vertical neutral axis (loading into the plane of the screen) then you would have to consider Iyy. This is not the case here.

Likes foo9008
PhanthomJay said:
That is correct, because the bending moments are about the horizontal neutral axis and shears are along the y axis. If the moments were about the vertical neutral axis (loading into the plane of the screen) then you would have to consider Iyy. This is not the case here.
I defined y-axis as the axis that is up , which is not into the book ...

You don't have to worry about the y axis. Not for this problem. If applied loading was into the book, only then would you need to consider weak axis bending about the vertical y axis.

Likes foo9008

Related to Moment of inertia in shear stress formula

What is the formula for moment of inertia in shear stress?

The formula for moment of inertia in shear stress is I = (b * h^3) / 12, where b is the width of the object and h is the height of the object.

How is moment of inertia related to shear stress?

Moment of inertia measures an object's resistance to changes in rotation. In the context of shear stress, moment of inertia is used to calculate the shear stress distribution along an object's cross-sectional area.

Why is moment of inertia important in engineering?

Moment of inertia is important in engineering because it helps engineers understand how objects will respond to applied forces and torques. It is particularly useful in analyzing the strength and stability of structures under different loading conditions.

What are some common units for moment of inertia in shear stress?

Moment of inertia is typically measured in units of length squared, such as meters squared (m^2) or inches squared (in^2). In some cases, it may also be expressed in terms of a mass or area multiplied by a length squared, such as kilograms-meters squared (kg-m^2) or pounds-inches squared (lb-in^2).

How can moment of inertia be calculated for complex shapes?

For complex shapes, moment of inertia can be calculated by breaking the object down into smaller, simpler shapes and using the parallel axis theorem to find the moment of inertia for each component. These individual moments of inertia can then be summed together to find the total moment of inertia for the entire object.