Moment Diagram of Cantilever Beam with Fixed End at Left hand side?

In summary, the conversation discusses the similarity between a Cantilever beam with a fixed end at the left and one with a fixed end at the right. The speaker explains that they are essentially the same, but may appear mirrored depending on the convention used to plot the shear diagram. The other participants also share their thoughts on the matter before the original speaker expresses their gratitude for the clarification.
jnlbctln
Just want to ask if the moment diagram of Cantilever beam with fixed end at left is the same as with fixed end at right. What I mean is that they are just mirrored ? Thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
Yes, it's exactly the same. Imagine walking around the beam and looking at it from the other side. The loads, geometry, etc. are still exactly the same, just you have moved on the other side where the fixed end appears mirrored.

This hints at a lack of understanding to me.

Why do you believe it would be different?

I just suspect that the shear diagram is difference with the two cases. but the moment is the same..

The shear diagram would only be different because you'd be using some convention to plot it. It only looks mirrored about the beam longitudinal axis, but is in reality the same. The shear forces would be the same, just the way they are plotted depends on the convention.

Thanks bda23. That's the answer I'm waiting for my confirmation. Thanks for other's idea :D

Related to Moment Diagram of Cantilever Beam with Fixed End at Left hand side?

1. What is a moment diagram?

A moment diagram is a visual representation of the bending moments along a structural element, such as a cantilever beam. It shows the magnitude and direction of the moments at different points along the beam.

2. Why is it important to analyze the moment diagram of a cantilever beam?

The moment diagram of a cantilever beam is important because it helps determine the maximum bending moment and shear force that the beam can withstand. This information is crucial for designing and ensuring the structural integrity of the beam.

3. How is the moment diagram of a cantilever beam with a fixed end at the left hand side different from one with a free end?

A cantilever beam with a fixed end at the left hand side will have a moment diagram that is symmetrical about the fixed end, whereas a beam with a free end will have an asymmetrical moment diagram with the maximum moment occurring at the free end.

4. What factors affect the shape of the moment diagram for a cantilever beam?

The shape of the moment diagram for a cantilever beam is affected by several factors, including the magnitude and type of load applied, the length of the beam, and the support conditions (e.g. fixed or free end).

5. How can I use the moment diagram to determine the maximum bending stress in a cantilever beam?

The maximum bending stress in a cantilever beam can be determined by finding the point on the moment diagram with the highest bending moment and then using the beam's cross-sectional properties and the equation for bending stress (σ = My/I) to calculate the maximum stress at that point.