Moment Calculations for a Machine

In summary, the conversation and accompanying content discuss the use of +/- signs when calculating moments about a point. The conversation includes a question about a homework problem involving a compound-lever pruning shears and a small branch. The conversation also includes a breakdown of the equations and steps used to solve the problem, and a discrepancy between the student's solution and the instructor's solution. The summary concludes with an explanation for the difference in the solutions due to different frames of reference.
ChicagoEagle8
Hi, this may seem like a silly question to ask, but it has to do with +/- signing when taking the moment about a point. I have images attached to this post to make things a little clearer.

Homework Statement

The compound-lever pruning shears shown can be adjusted by placing pin A at various ratchet positions on blade ACE. Knowing that 1.5-kN vertical forces are required to complete the pruning of a small branch, determine the magnitude P of the forces that must be applied to the handles when the shears are adjusted as shown.

Homework Equations

(Moment about C): [tex]\sum[/tex]MC = 0

(Moment about D):[tex]\sum[/tex]MD = 0

The Attempt at a Solution

Using the FBD for the Blade ACE, I took the moment about C to find FAx and FAy, the horizontal and vertical components of FA, respectively:

[tex]\sum[/tex]MC = 0 = (32 mm)x(1.5 kN) + (-10 mm)x(FAx) + (-28 mm)x(FAy)
0 = 48 kN.mm - 10FAx - 28FAy

[tex]\rightarrow[/tex] The dimensions provided (11 mm vertically and 13 mm horizontally) allow me to solve for the length of member AB through the Pythagorean theorem.

c= [tex]\sqrt{a^2 + b^2}[/tex]
c=[tex]\sqrt{(13)^2 + (11)^2}[/tex]
c= 17.03 mm

Therefore, instead of using FA sin[tex]\theta[/tex] and FA cos[tex]\theta[/tex] for FAy and FAx, respectively, I can just use their geometric equivalents:

0 = 48 - 10([tex]\frac{13}{17.03}[/tex])FA - 28([tex]\frac{11}{17.03}[/tex])FA
0 = 48 - 7.63FA - 18.09FA
25.7FA = 48
FA = 1.86 kN
[tex]\rightarrow[/tex]Therefore, FAx = [tex]\frac{13}{17.03}[/tex](1.87 kN) = 1.43 kN
[tex]\rightarrow[/tex]And FAy = [tex]\frac{11}{17.03}[/tex](1.87 kN) = 1.21 kN

Now, based off the free body diagram for Handle ABD, in which member AB is a two-force member. With that in mind, I took the moment about D

[tex]\sum[/tex]MD = 0 = (-70 mm)x(P) + (5 mm)x(1.43 kN) + (-15 mm)x(-1.21 kN)
0 = -70P + 7.15 + 18.15
70P = 25.3
P = 0.361 kN

However, when I checked my answer on the instructor's site, I saw that P actually equalled 0.157 kN, and that the Moment about D was calculated like this:

[tex]\sum[/tex]MD = 0 = (-70 mm)x(P) - (5 mm)x(1.43 kN) + (15 mm)x(1.21 kN)
0 = -70P - 7.15 + 18.15
70P = 11
P = 0.157 kN

What I don't understand about this moment calculation is why we SUBTRACT the cross product of (5 mm)x(1.43 kN). Point B is located 5 mm above Point D, and up is positive in my frame of reference, and that the 1.43 kN force is moving toward the right, which is also positive in my my frame of reference. What reason is there to have a subtraction sign for that cross product, then?

Sorry that my post is really long, but I really appreciate the time that anyone takes to read, think about, and answer this question that I have.

Attachments

• Statics P6-141.jpg
    Statics P6-141.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 972
  • p6-141 FBD I.jpg
    p6-141 FBD I.jpg
    6 KB · Views: 745
  • P6-141 FBD II.jpg
    P6-141 FBD II.jpg
    5.3 KB · Views: 703
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Thank you.Your frame of reference is not the only frame of reference. Your instructor's frame of reference must be different from yours, so the sign for the cross product must also change. The direction of the force and the distance between B and D may be positive in your frame of reference, but it could be negative in the instructor's frame of reference. Therefore, the sign for the cross product must also change.

Hi there,

First of all, there is no such thing as a silly question in science. Asking questions and seeking clarification is an important part of the scientific process.

In regards to your moment calculations, it is important to remember that the sign convention for moments is based on the right-hand rule. This means that moments are positive if they cause counterclockwise rotation and negative if they cause clockwise rotation.

In your first calculation, you took the moment about D and included the cross product of (5 mm)x(1.43 kN). This means that you are considering the moment caused by this force to be clockwise, and therefore it has a negative sign.

In the second calculation, you also took the moment about D, but this time you subtracted the cross product of (5 mm)x(1.43 kN). This means that you are considering the moment caused by this force to be counterclockwise, and therefore it has a positive sign.

So why did you get different answers for P? This is because the two calculations are considering different directions for the moment caused by the 1.43 kN force. In the first calculation, it is considered to be clockwise, while in the second calculation it is considered to be counterclockwise. This results in a different magnitude of moment and therefore a different value for P.

I hope this helps to clarify the +/- signing when taking moments. Keep asking questions and keep up the good work with your calculations!

Related to Moment Calculations for a Machine

1. How do I calculate the moment of inertia for a machine?

To calculate the moment of inertia for a machine, you will need to know the mass of each individual component of the machine and the distance of each component from the axis of rotation. The formula for moment of inertia is I = Σm*r^2, where I is the moment of inertia, m is the mass, and r is the distance from the axis of rotation. Once you have calculated the moment of inertia for each component, you can sum them to get the total moment of inertia for the machine.

2. What is the purpose of calculating moments for a machine?

The purpose of calculating moments for a machine is to determine how the machine will behave when a force is applied to it. Moments are important in understanding the stability and strength of a machine, and can also help in designing and improving its performance.

3. How do I determine the magnitude and direction of a moment on a machine?

The magnitude of a moment on a machine can be calculated using the formula M = F*d, where M is the moment, F is the force applied, and d is the distance from the axis of rotation. The direction of the moment can be determined using the right-hand rule, where you curl your fingers in the direction of the force and your thumb will point in the direction of the moment.

4. Can moments be negative?

Yes, moments can be negative. A negative moment indicates that the force is creating a clockwise rotation, while a positive moment indicates a counterclockwise rotation. It is important to pay attention to the sign of the moment when analyzing the behavior of a machine.

5. What are the units of measurement for moments?

Moments are typically measured in units of Newton-meters (N*m) or pound-feet (lb*ft). These units represent the force applied (in Newtons or pounds) multiplied by the distance from the axis of rotation (in meters or feet).