Mom Worries About Daughter With Norovirus

• Thread starter dlgoff
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation involved learning about the middle daughter having the Norovirus, also known as the stomach flu. The best way to manage the symptoms is to drink electrolyte-replacement beverages like Gatorade and coconut water, and to drink decarbonated Coke or similar beverages to soothe the stomach lining. The virus causing the illness is Viral gastroenteritis, specifically Noroviruses and rotaviruses.
dlgoff
Science Advisor
Gold Member
TL;DR Summary
A bad thing to learn
I just got a call informing me that my middle daughter has the Norovirus. I'm so worried about her.

Biology news on Phys.org
dlgoff said:
Summary:: A bad thing to learn

middle daughter has the Norovirus. I'm so worried about her.
aka stomach flu.

Best to manage a fever, if one, and drink something like Gatorade or drink with electrolytes to replace that lost with vomiting and diarrhea. I usually mix Gatorade with coconut water, the later having more potassium. I like to have a balance of sodium and potassium, so 50/50 mix of Gatorade and coconut water.

• Informative
Likes berkeman, pinball1970 and dlgoff
Astronuc said:
aka stomach flu.
I did not know that.

Likes pinball1970
  • Informative
Likes pinball1970 and dlgoff
Likes pinball1970

Related to Mom Worries About Daughter With Norovirus

1. What is Norovirus?

Norovirus is a highly contagious virus that causes inflammation of the stomach and intestines, leading to symptoms such as nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, and stomach pain.

2. How is Norovirus spread?

Norovirus is typically spread through contact with an infected person, consuming contaminated food or water, or touching contaminated surfaces and then putting your hands in your mouth.

3. What are the symptoms of Norovirus?

The most common symptoms of Norovirus include nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, stomach pain, and fever. These symptoms typically appear within 12-48 hours after exposure and can last for 1-3 days.

4. How can I prevent Norovirus?

The best way to prevent Norovirus is to practice good hygiene, such as washing your hands frequently with soap and water, avoiding contact with infected individuals, and thoroughly cleaning and disinfecting contaminated surfaces.

5. Is Norovirus dangerous?

While Norovirus can be unpleasant and uncomfortable, it is usually not dangerous and most people recover within a few days. However, it can be more serious for young children, older adults, and individuals with weakened immune systems.