Mohr's circle and formula for eigenvectors

In summary, the conversation discusses the existence of formulas for eigenvectors and the use of Mohr's circle to determine principal stress and direction in a three-dimensional state of stress. The conversation also mentions the limitations of using Mohr's circle for higher dimensional matrices and the confusion surrounding these concepts for the speaker who is self-taught.
Bruno Tolentino
Don't exist formula for the eigenvectors, all right!? Eigenvectors needs be found manually, correct!?
But and about the Mohr's circle? This physical/mathematical theory don't define clearly the direction of the eigenvectors (called principal direction) with the eigenvalues (called principal stress)?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mohr'...a_general_three-dimensional_state_of_stresses

Physics news on Phys.org
Despite your four question marks, I'm not sure what you are asking here. There are certainly formulas for eigenvalues of low-dimensional (2x2,3x3 or 4x4) matrices, for example:
http://math.harvard.edu/archive/21b_fall_04/exhibits/2dmatrices/index.html
which also has formulas for eigenvectors.
There cannot be formulas for higher dimensional (>4) matrices as there does not exist formulas for the roots of polynomials of order >4.

Hopefully someone that knows something about Mohr's circle can chime in about your 3rd and 4th questions ... to me it looks like an interesting (and probably very useful) graphical technique that is used by mechanical engineers.

jason

Likes Bruno Tolentino
But, this article doesn't affirm nothing about the general case, when b and c are not zero...

I think you need to do your algebra again - did you even do the algebra yourself? The link does indeed cover the case where b and c are not zero.

I am confused. Are you trying to claim that Mohr's circle somehow violates what mathematicians claim to be true?

jason

I'm autodidact... In my country doesn't exist good teachers and good books... The Mohr's theory and the eigenvectors theory are concept not very clear for me...

Related to Mohr's circle and formula for eigenvectors

1. What is the purpose of Mohr's circle?

Mohr's circle is a graphical method used to visualize and analyze the stress and strain state of a material at a specific point. It helps determine the principal stresses, maximum shear stress, and orientation of principal planes.

2. How is Mohr's circle constructed?

Mohr's circle is constructed by plotting the normal stresses on the x-axis and the shear stresses on the y-axis. The center of the circle represents the average stress, and the radius represents the difference between the maximum and minimum stresses.

3. What is the formula for finding the principal stresses using Mohr's circle?

The formula for finding the principal stresses is σ1 = σavg + R and σ2 = σavg - R, where σ1 and σ2 are the principal stresses, σavg is the average stress, and R is the radius of the circle.

4. How do you determine the orientation of the principal planes using Mohr's circle?

The orientation of the principal planes can be determined by drawing a line from the center of the circle to the point where the circle intersects the x-axis. This line represents the normal stress on one of the principal planes. The orientation of the other principal plane can be determined by drawing a line perpendicular to this line.

5. What is the significance of eigenvectors in Mohr's circle?

Eigenvectors play a crucial role in Mohr's circle as they represent the direction of the principal stresses. The eigenvector corresponding to the largest principal stress points towards the direction of maximum stress, and the one corresponding to the smallest principal stress points towards the direction of minimum stress.