Modifying a Wine Cooler to Reach -20°C: Internship Project Help

In summary, the intern found a small wine cooler that can be cooled down to -40 degrees C using a peltier strip. He wants to know how he can modify the system to obtain his desired temperature. He is looking for advice on how to get the cooler to much lower temperatures.
cthor
Hey all,

I currently have an internship with a Nanotechnology Company. I am currently working on a cooling separator for the company's product. Nevertheless, I was doing some research and found that something already exist that I can just modify and meet my goals. I found a cooling chamber, small wine cooler cellar, that uses a peltier strip to cool the materials inside the cellar. However, it can only cool down to 8 degrees C and I want to go down to as low as -20 degrees C. I know for a fact that the strip used in the machine can cool down to -40 degrees C. My question is, how can I modify the system to obtain my desired temperature? Can I just change the control unit? I believe peltier strips uses a voltage that runs through it to control its temperature. Any help or suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Chong Thor

Engineering news on Phys.org
any help?

To get the little wine cooler to much lower temperatures, you will have to get a more powerful thermoelectric cooler and a more powerful circuit to run it, or you will need to increase the insulation of the cooler. It's likely that a combination of both would be the best approach, by getting a more powerful TEC and wrapping the cooler in thick insulating material.

I asked my boss again about the constraints again and we only want to go as low as 4 degrees C. He feels like we can do it with a different controller or thermostat. When we turn the controller to its lowest, 8 degrees C, the system sounds very efficient and smooth so we know that it can go lower. Any ideas?

cthor said:
I asked my boss again about the constraints again and we only want to go as low as 4 degrees C. He feels like we can do it with a different controller or thermostat. When we turn the controller to its lowest, 8 degrees C, the system sounds very efficient and smooth so we know that it can go lower. Any ideas?

Well you're right if the controller only goes down to 8C you'll need a new one.

You might be able to use the existing thermostat and controller if you can re-locate the thermostat somewhere "outside the box". Inside the insulation blanket there will be a temp gradient between ambient and inside temp. Relocating the thermostat to the right place inside the blanket will fool the controller into thinking more cooling is needed. A separate thermostat inside the box will allow you to know if your target has been reached.

Related to Modifying a Wine Cooler to Reach -20°C: Internship Project Help

1. What is an internship project?

An internship project is a short-term work experience program in which a student or recent graduate works with an organization to gain practical skills and knowledge in a particular field. It is usually a requirement for academic credit or a way to gain hands-on experience in a chosen career path.

2. How can an internship project help me as a student?

Internship projects provide students with the opportunity to apply their academic knowledge in a real-world setting, gain practical skills and experience, and expand their professional network. It can also help students make informed decisions about their career path and enhance their resume for future job opportunities.

3. What types of projects are typically offered for internships?

Internship projects can vary depending on the organization and the field of study. Some common types of internship projects include research projects, marketing projects, social media projects, event planning projects, and data analysis projects. It is important to carefully review the project description and ensure it aligns with your interests and goals.

4. How can I find an internship project that aligns with my interests?

There are several ways to find internship projects that align with your interests. You can search for opportunities on job search websites, company websites, or through your university's career center. Networking events, career fairs, and informational interviews can also help you connect with potential internship opportunities.

5. What should I expect from an internship project?

As an intern, you should expect to be given meaningful and challenging tasks that contribute to the organization's goals. You will also have the opportunity to learn from experienced professionals, receive feedback on your work, and develop key skills for your chosen career path. It is important to communicate your goals and expectations with your supervisor to ensure a successful and fulfilling internship experience.