Modified Schwarzschild Metric: Length Contraction Consequences

In summary: What do you mean?This is interesting. It says that there is pressure but no energy density throughout the spacetime.It does not violate the dominant energy condition, so it is a universe of all exotic ‘matter’, scare quotes because ther is no mass/energy density given this Einstein tensor, so exotic matter sounds funny. Fixed
laudprim
Hello.
I am looking for help in establishing all the consequences of a modified Scwazschild metric where the length contraction is removed.
ds^2=(1-rs/r)c^2dt^2-dr^2-r^2(... )
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
laudprim said:
Hello.
I am looking for help in establishing all the consequences of a modified Scwazschild metric where the length contraction is removed.
Thanks

Why don't you try to work out the geodesics?

But can a black hole arise in a new form from this metric ?

laudprim said:
But can a black hole arise in a new form from this metric ?

A spherical mass causes the Schwarzschild geometry, which is the only static, spherically symmetric solution to the Einstein field equations. Your metric, therefore, cannot be a solution and is not physically viable.

... not physically viable ...

Here's the mixed-index Einstein tensor in ##c=G=1## units:
$$\pmatrix{0&0&0&0\cr 0&{{2m}\over{r^3-2mr^2}}&0&0\cr 0&0&{{-m(r-m)}\over{r^2 (r-2m)^2}}&0\cr 0&0&0&{{-m (r-m)}\over{r^2 (r-2m)^2}}\cr }$$
I'm not sure that's physically meaningful.
PeroK said:
A spherical mass causes the Schwarzschild geometry, which is the only static, spherically symmetric solution to the Einstein field equations.
It's the only such vacuum solution. The metric above can be produced by some stress-energy distribution (divide each element of the Einstein tensor by ##8\pi##), but whether or not that stress-energy tensor represents anything physically possible is another matter...

Last edited:
Likes PeterDonis and PeroK
And the Ricci scalar is $${{2m^2}\over{r^4-4mr^3+4m^2r^2}}$$Which implies true singularities at r=0 and r=2m, so two disconnected patches of spacetime. An odd place indeed.

Edit: in fact, it's not a spacetime when 0<r<2m since the signature is ----.

Last edited:
laudprim said:
Hello.
Thanks
Isn't this effectively the Schwarzschild geometry which particles experience in the non-relativistic limit? For low speeds, in the geodesic equation the spatial speed of the particle couples to the spatial curvature, and this coupling is in the non-relativistic limit neglected.

With that, it is clear that this will not be an exact solution to the Einstein equations, but merely an approximate solution under certain conditions.

haushofer said:
Isn't this effectively the Schwarzschild geometry which particles experience in the non-relativistic limit?
Ah! So that's what the singularity at r=2m means - non-relativistic approximations cannot apply here. Edit: and, of course, this metric is Riemannian, not pseudo-Riemannian inside this radius, which means that this approximation doesn't work there either.
haushofer said:
For low speeds, in the geodesic equation the spatial speed of the particle couples to the spatial curvature
I think I need to write out the geodesic equations to make sure I followed this.

Last edited:
As informative as it is, is there any particular reason this thread is marked Basic? It feels to me like this should be I at a minimum

Sorcerer said:
As informative as it is, is there any particular reason this thread is marked Basic? It feels to me like this should be I at a minimum
Fixed

Ibix said:
I think I need to write out the geodesic equations to make sure I followed this.
Well, to be clear, I was talking about the Newtonian limit here. So the metric is time-independent and can be written as diagonal in a suitable coordinate system. Then

[tex] \Gamma^{i}_{0k} = 0[/tex]

(one can always put this term to zero by using a time dependent rotation, as follows from its transformation law), and

[tex] \Gamma^{i}_{jk} = \frac{1}{2}g^{im} [\partial_{j}g_{mk} + \partial_{k}g_{mj} - \partial_{m} g_{jk}][/tex]

We have made a foliation such that we can regard [itex]g_{ij}[/itex] as the metric on spatial hypersurfaces.

This last connection coefficient couples to the spatial velocities. If the spatial curvature perturbations are regarded as "order epsilon" and the spatial velocities also, then this whole term disappears (when you expand around Minkowski; for (a)dS it's a different story of course). Effectively the particle thus only experiences [tex] \Gamma^{i}_{00}[/tex] (it's the only surviving term in the geodesic equation).

This is a subtlety: it doesn't mean that the spatial curvature is zero in the Newtonian limit; it only says that its coupling to the particle's velocity is a higher order epsilon term in your expansion and hence is neglected. Of course, in full fledged Newtonian gravity the spatial curvature is zero. That corresponds to your metric.

Ibix said:
Here's the mixed-index Einstein tensor in ##c=G=1## units:
$$\pmatrix{0&0&0&0\cr 0&{{2m}\over{r^3-2mr^2}}&0&0\cr 0&0&{{-m(r-m)}\over{r^2 (r-2m)^2}}&0\cr 0&0&0&{{-m (r-m)}\over{r^2 (r-2m)^2}}\cr }$$
I'm not sure that's physically meaningful.
It's the only such vacuum solution. The metric above can be produced by some stress-energy distribution (divide each element of the Einstein tensor by ##8\pi##), but whether or not that stress-energy tensor represents anything physically possible is another matter...
This is interesting. It says that there is pressure but no energy density throughout the spacetime. It trivially violates the dominant energy condition, so it is a universe of all exotic ‘matter’, scare quotes because ther is no mass/energy density given this Einstein tensor, so exotic matter sounds funny. Exotic essence?

PAllen said:
This is interesting. It says that there is pressure but no energy density throughout the spacetime. It trivially violates the dominant energy condition, so it is a universe of all exotic ‘matter’, scare quotes because ther is no mass/energy density given this Einstein tensor, so exotic matter sounds funny. Exotic essence?

Yes, except perhaps for sign the components of ##G^{\mu}{}_{\nu}## in a coordinate basis are the same as the components of ##G_{\hat{\mu}\hat{\nu}}## in an orthonormal basis.

The magnitude of the presssures approach infinity close to the event horizo at r=2m, far away though, for large r, the pressures can be small, on the order of ##m/r^2##.

Related to Modified Schwarzschild Metric: Length Contraction Consequences

1. What is the Modified Schwarzschild Metric?

The Modified Schwarzschild Metric is a mathematical equation that describes the curvature of space and time around a non-rotating, spherically symmetric object. It is an extension of the original Schwarzschild Metric, which was developed by Albert Einstein in his theory of general relativity.

2. How does the Modified Schwarzschild Metric differ from the original Schwarzschild Metric?

The Modified Schwarzschild Metric takes into account the effects of length contraction, which is a consequence of special relativity. This means that the distances between objects in space and the passage of time are affected by the speed at which an observer is moving relative to the object being measured. The original Schwarzschild Metric only accounts for the curvature of space and time caused by the mass of an object.

3. What are the consequences of length contraction in the Modified Schwarzschild Metric?

The consequences of length contraction in the Modified Schwarzschild Metric are that the distances between objects appear shorter and the passage of time appears slower when viewed from a reference frame that is moving at a high speed relative to the object being measured. This is known as time dilation and is a fundamental principle of special relativity.

4. How does the Modified Schwarzschild Metric affect our understanding of gravity?

The Modified Schwarzschild Metric provides a more accurate description of gravity by incorporating the effects of both space-time curvature and length contraction. It helps us better understand how gravity affects the motion of objects in space and how it is related to the passage of time.

5. What practical applications does the Modified Schwarzschild Metric have?

The Modified Schwarzschild Metric has practical applications in space exploration and navigation. It allows us to make more accurate calculations of the effects of gravity on spacecraft and satellites, and to account for the differences in time between objects in different reference frames. It also has implications for technologies such as GPS, which rely on precise measurements of time and space to determine location.