Modern Physics Laboratory establishment help

In summary, the conversation revolves around establishing a modern physics lab for university students at the sophomore level. Suggestions for experiments include measuring the Blank's Constant and e/m ratio, as well as the photoelectric effect, Millikan oil drop experiment, electron diffraction, and hydrogen spectrum. Other ideas include using a Michelson interferometer, x-ray diffraction, and measuring crystal lattice constants. Resources such as teachspin.com and advlab.org are recommended. However, specific details such as enrollment projections, existing infrastructure and budget are needed for further advice. Additional resources such as MIT, Rutgers, CMU, and UMass websites may provide helpful ideas for experiments suitable for sophomores.
msaleh87
Hi all
First of all, I don't know whether this is the right sub-forum to post at, so forgive me if it is not.

I have recently been asked to establish a modern physics lab for university students at sophomore level, so what experiments do you suggest to found the lab.

I've included the following experiments:
-measuring the Blank's Constant
-measuring e/m ratio for electron

so what else do you suggest to include

thanks

Science news on Phys.org
Photoelectric effect.
Millikan oil drop experiment.
Electron diffraction.
Hydrogen spectrum and Rydberg's constant, using a good-quality prism or grating spectrometer.

Perhaps a few simple experiments with a Michelson interferometer, although you won't be able to do the Michelson-Morley experiment with one that can fit on a student lab table; this is probably better as part of an optics course if you have one.

It's hard to offer advice without any information- for example, how many students are projected to be enrolled? What sort of infrastructure/lab equipment do you already have, and what is your budget for new equipment and supplies? What is the balance between computational and experimental lab work?

etc. etc.

jtbell said:
Millikan oil drop experiment.

I'm curious whether undergraduate labs are able to routinely get the right value from their Millikan experiments?

When I was in modern lab, I also did an experiment on x-ray diffraction, and measuring crystal lattice constants along with an experiment on measuring the decay rate of some radiation sources.

Related to Modern Physics Laboratory establishment help

1. What is the purpose of a modern physics laboratory?

The purpose of a modern physics laboratory is to provide a controlled environment for conducting experiments and gathering data to test and advance our understanding of the laws and principles that govern the behavior of matter and energy at the atomic and subatomic level.

2. What equipment is typically found in a modern physics laboratory?

A modern physics laboratory may contain a variety of equipment such as particle accelerators, spectrometers, lasers, detectors, and advanced computer systems for data analysis and simulation. It may also have specialized equipment for specific research areas such as quantum mechanics, nuclear physics, or biophysics.

3. How is safety ensured in a modern physics laboratory?

Safety in a modern physics laboratory is ensured through strict protocols and regulations set by the institution or governing bodies. This may include proper handling and disposal of hazardous materials, regular maintenance of equipment, and training for handling emergencies. Protective gear and safety equipment are also provided for researchers and students.

4. What are the benefits of establishing a modern physics laboratory?

The establishment of a modern physics laboratory allows for the development of cutting-edge research in the field of physics. It also provides a platform for collaboration and exchange of ideas among scientists, which can lead to breakthrough discoveries and advancements in technology. Additionally, it offers hands-on training and experience for students pursuing a career in physics.

5. How can one get involved in a modern physics laboratory?

One can get involved in a modern physics laboratory through various ways, such as pursuing a degree in physics or a related field, applying for internships or research positions, or collaborating with established researchers in the field. It is also important to stay updated on current research and advancements in the field to find opportunities for involvement.