Modern Cosmology: Fine Tuning Problem | Adarsh

In summary, Primordial dust with lesser metals is found in Population III stars. This allows for more massive stars to form and pollutes the infant cosmos.
xn_axe
Hi Guys,

I have just started Modern Cosmology and please don't mind if the question is too naive.

I wanted to know why does the amount of dust in the Inter-Stellar Medium scale roughly nearly with its metallicity? Please advise.

Sorry about the incorrect heading. I can't seem to find where to edit that.

Thanks
Adarsh

Last edited:
Space news on Phys.org
xn_axe said:
Hi Guys,

I have just started Modern Cosmology and please don't mind if the question is too naive.

I wanted to know why does the amount of dust in the Inter-Stellar Medium scale roughly nearly with its metallicity? Please advise.

Sorry about the incorrect heading. I can't seem to find where to edit that.

Thanks
Adarsh

Larger stars create more interstellar dust and are required to fuse the heavier elements.

Wait i am confused. I am talking about ISM dust-metallicity relation. Kindly explain the given answer.

Most of that dust probably came from primordial supernova in the very early universe. Ginormous, short lived stars are believed to have been common back in the low metallicity days of the universe, and are blamed for polluting the infant cosmos.

So let me see if i understand this correctly. Sorry if you find this a bit naive.
The early ISM dust was with low metallicity but then the early stars burst rapidly into supernovas and filled the dust with metals which scales nearly similar to the current ISM metallicity.
But here's my question - Is this a general phenomenon? I mean if you have Primordial Dust with lesser metals, do they result in more Massive stars and Further supernova, but if the metal content is less, the Stars are created normally hence the balance is maintained anyhow.
Let me know if i am right? And if yes, what is the underlying principle dealing with the metallicity of dust and eventual star formation?
Once again sorry for the trouble. :)

Supernova, in general, disperse large quantities of metals into the ISM. There are scattered knots of low metallicity gas clouds throughout the universe, but, most are heavily polluted. Low metallicity gas clouds disperse heat more efficiently than 'polluted' gas clouds when they collapse. This permits more massive stars to form before the gas cloud fragments. Once the temperature reaches the critical fusion ignition temperature, a newly formed star blows off much of the remaining mass of its 'mother' gas cloud. Low metallicity allows the protostar to gravitationally bind more of the gas cloud before reaching ignition temperature. The primordial ISM was comprised of virgin hydrogen and helium. The dust you are speaking of is principally the ashes of ancient pop III stars. See http://arxiv.org/abs/1404.5391, Dust Production Factories in the Early Universe: Formation of Carbon Grains in Red-supergiant Winds of Very Massive Population III Stars, for further discussion.

Likes 1 person
There is no hydrogen/helium dust, they just do not form solid clumps. Dust needs metals to form. I guess we can neglect primordial lithium, so all dust needs metals from stars.

That solves my query. Thanks to all the experts and sincere apologies for asking such a naive question.

Related to Modern Cosmology: Fine Tuning Problem | Adarsh

1. What is the fine tuning problem in modern cosmology?

The fine tuning problem in modern cosmology refers to the observation that the physical constants and conditions of the universe seem to be precisely calibrated to allow for the existence of life. This has led to the question of whether this is a mere coincidence or if there is a deeper explanation for this fine tuning.

2. How does the fine tuning problem relate to the concept of the anthropic principle?

The anthropic principle is the idea that the universe must be compatible with the existence of observers, since we are here to observe it. The fine tuning problem is often seen as evidence for the anthropic principle, as it suggests that the universe was intentionally designed to allow for the emergence of life.

3. What are some proposed solutions to the fine tuning problem?

One proposed solution is the multiverse theory, which suggests that there are an infinite number of universes with varying physical constants, and we happen to live in the one that is suitable for life. Another solution is the idea of a "cosmic designer" or intelligent creator who purposely fine-tuned the universe for life to exist.

4. How is the fine tuning problem being studied and investigated by scientists?

Scientists are studying the fine tuning problem through various methods, such as mathematical models, simulations, and observations of the universe. They are also exploring different theories and hypotheses to try and understand the underlying reasons for the fine tuning.

5. What are the implications of the fine tuning problem for our understanding of the universe?

The fine tuning problem raises important questions about the origin and nature of the universe, as well as the possibility of intelligent design. It also highlights the incredible precision and complexity of the universe, leading to a deeper appreciation and understanding of our place in the cosmos.