Modern Cosmology by Dodelson: Problem 6.12 a

In summary, the goal of the problem is to derive useful identities involving slow-roll parameters during inflation, and specifically to show that the derivative of the inverse of the product of the scale factor and the Hubble parameter with respect to conformal time is equal to the slow-roll parameter minus one. After some initial difficulties with interpreting the use of a dot in the equations, it was discovered that the slow-roll parameter can be expressed as the derivative of the inverse of the Hubble parameter with respect to conformal time, leading to a much simpler solution.
travelingscienceman

Homework Statement

The general goal of the problem is to derive some useful identities involving the slow-roll parameters during inflation.
For part a show that:
$$\frac {d} {d\eta} (\frac {1} {aH})= \epsilon - 1$$

Homework Equations

$$\epsilon \equiv \frac {d} {dt} (\frac {1} {H})= \frac {-\dot H} {aH^2}$$
$$H=\frac {\dot a}{a}$$
$$\eta\approx\frac{-1}{aH}$$

The Attempt at a Solution

First I put everything into the scale factor a and its derivatives:

$$-\dot H = \frac{\dot a^2 - \ddot a a}{a^2}$$
$$\frac{1}{a H^2}=\frac{a}{\dot a^2}$$

$$\frac {-\dot H} {aH^2} = \frac{\dot a^2 - \ddot a a}{a\dot a^2}=\frac{1}{a}-\frac{\ddot a}{\dot a^2}=\epsilon$$

Now this is where I am struggling.

He uses a derivative with respect to time and one with respect to conformal time (##\eta##). Coupled with the fact that

$$\frac {d} {d\eta} (\frac {1} {aH})=\frac {d} {d\eta} (-\eta) =-1=\epsilon - 1$$

Which means that ##\epsilon=0## which is not correct. Instead of substituting I could do the following:

$$\frac {d} {d\eta} (\frac {1} {aH})=\frac {d} {d\eta} (\frac {1} {\dot a})=\frac {-1} {\ddot a}=\epsilon - 1$$

Rearranging we get

$$\epsilon=1-\frac {1} {\ddot a}$$

And I am not sure this is correct either. I cannot see any way to make the RHS equal to epsilon.

Any help showing where I might have gone wrong would be appreciated and thanks in advance for taking a look at this!

Physics news on Phys.org
Try using that ##\frac {d} {d\eta} = a \frac{d}{dt}##. So you've got ##a \frac{d}{dt} (\frac{1}{a} \frac{1}{H})##. It's pretty straightforward from there.

Last edited:
Likes travelingscienceman
That helps but I am still having trouble. With ##\epsilon=\frac{-\dot H}{a H^2}## I just end up going in circles. But if I work with ##\epsilon=\frac{d}{dt}\frac{1}{H}## I get the following:

$$\epsilon=\frac{d}{dt}\frac{1}{H}=\frac{\dot a^2 - \ddot a a}{\dot a^2}$$
$$\frac{d}{d\eta}\frac{1}{\dot a}=a\frac{d}{dt}\frac{1}{\dot a}=\frac{-a}{\ddot a}=\epsilon-1$$
$$1+\frac{a}{\ddot a}=\epsilon=\frac{\dot a^2 - \ddot a a}{\dot a^2}$$
$$\dot a^2 \ddot a -a \dot a^2=\ddot a \dot a^2 - \ddot a^2 a$$
$$\dot a =\ddot a$$

Which is better but not right.

From looking inside Dodelson's text at Amazon, it appears that the author uses a dot to denote differentiation with respect to ##\eta##. But, it looks like you are sometimes interpreting the dot as differentiation with respect to ##t## (for example, when you write ##H =\large \frac{\dot a}{a}##).

Likes travelingscienceman
TSny said:
From looking inside Dodelson's text at Amazon, it appears that the author uses a dot to denote differentiation with respect to ##\eta##. But, it looks like you are sometimes interpreting the dot as differentiation with respect to ##t## (for example, when you write ##H =\large \frac{\dot a}{a}##).

Ah, that explains some inconsistencies. I assumed dot was differentiation by ##t## from that definition of ##H##.

Thank you both. Today with a clear head I figured it out.

$$H=\frac{\dot a}{a^2}$$

And so

$$\epsilon=\frac{2\dot a^2 -\ddot a a}{\dot a^2}$$

Which made things much easier.

Related to Modern Cosmology by Dodelson: Problem 6.12 a

1. What is the purpose of Problem 6.12a in Modern Cosmology by Dodelson?

Problem 6.12a in Modern Cosmology by Dodelson is designed to test the reader's understanding of the equations and concepts related to the distance-redshift relation in cosmology.

2. How can one solve Problem 6.12a in Modern Cosmology by Dodelson?

To solve Problem 6.12a, one must first understand the distance-redshift relation and the equations involved. Then, they can use the given data and equations to calculate the distance and redshift values for the given scenario.

3. Is Problem 6.12a in Modern Cosmology by Dodelson difficult?

The difficulty of Problem 6.12a may vary for different individuals. However, it is designed to challenge the reader's understanding of the distance-redshift relation and may require some mathematical calculations.

4. Can one use a calculator to solve Problem 6.12a in Modern Cosmology by Dodelson?

Yes, a calculator can be used to solve Problem 6.12a in Modern Cosmology by Dodelson. However, it is important to understand the equations and concepts involved before using a calculator to ensure accurate results.

5. Are there any resources available to help with solving Problem 6.12a in Modern Cosmology by Dodelson?

Yes, there are various online resources and textbooks available that provide additional explanations and examples for the distance-redshift relation and related equations. These can be helpful in solving Problem 6.12a and enhancing understanding of the topic.