Modelling a vacuum pipe using an orthogonal material

In summary, the individual is working on modeling a vacuum pipe on Ansys and is looking for data on nomex and Al/Beryllium for a laminate structure. They also inquire about simplifying the model using an isotropic approach and ask for any suggestions or sources of information.
JonnyEngineer
Hi!

I'm trying to model a vacuum pipe on Ansys. I've already modeled it using an isotropic material, assuming its a plane strain problem (infinate pipe), but now I want to use a laminate structure composed of an orthogonal material such as nomex (honeycomb) with a seal tight layer of Al or Beryllium glued to the inside surface. I'm firstly struggling to find any of the required data i.e. x,y,z moduli etc.

Also, does anyone know of any good method of simplifying a model such as this, for instance by averaging the properties and using an isotropic model...if that doesn't sound stupid...

Thanks for any ideas or sources of information!

Engineering news on Phys.org

Hi there, it sounds like you're working on an interesting project! As for finding the required data for your laminate structure, have you tried reaching out to material suppliers or manufacturers? They may have data on the properties of nomex and Al/Beryllium that could be useful for your model. You could also try searching through academic journals or conference proceedings for similar studies that have used these materials in their models.

In terms of simplifying your model, using an isotropic model could be a viable option. However, it's important to consider the potential impact on accuracy and precision of your results. Another approach could be to use a multi-scale modeling technique, where you model the individual layers separately and then combine them to create a more realistic representation of your laminate structure.

I hope this helps and good luck with your project! Let us know if you have any further questions or updates on your progress.

Related to Modelling a vacuum pipe using an orthogonal material

1. What is the purpose of modelling a vacuum pipe using an orthogonal material?

The purpose of modelling a vacuum pipe using an orthogonal material is to accurately simulate and analyze the behavior and performance of the pipe under various conditions. This can help in the design and optimization of the pipe for efficient operation.

2. What is an orthogonal material and why is it used for this type of modelling?

An orthogonal material is a type of material that has equal strength in all directions. It is used for modelling a vacuum pipe because it allows for accurate representation of the pipe's structural properties, without introducing any directional bias that may affect the results.

3. What are the key parameters that need to be considered when modelling a vacuum pipe using an orthogonal material?

The key parameters to consider when modelling a vacuum pipe using an orthogonal material include the material's density, Young's modulus, Poisson's ratio, and yield strength. These parameters will affect the pipe's structural integrity and performance under different conditions.

4. Can a vacuum pipe be modelled using different materials besides an orthogonal material?

Yes, a vacuum pipe can be modelled using different materials depending on the specific requirements of the study. However, using an orthogonal material is often preferred for its equal strength in all directions, which simplifies the modelling process and produces more accurate results.

5. How can the results of modelling a vacuum pipe using an orthogonal material be validated?

The results of modelling a vacuum pipe using an orthogonal material can be validated by comparing the simulated data with experimental or real-world data. This can help in identifying any discrepancies and improving the accuracy of the model. Additionally, multiple simulations can be conducted with varying parameters to ensure consistency and reliability of the results.